Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problems In Reception Class

Hi Everyone,

Well I have had an awful week back at school. Not in on Monday or Tuesday because of the snow but still awful week!!!! Had a meeting today where I was told about a moderation visit in May and told that at the moment my class and my room and me were not up to scratch adn need a rigorous action plan to get it ready and it will mean lots of input from me and lots of changes to room , routine and generally. My work samples are not good enough and despite my trying to explain EYFS and me asking for meeting since Autumn term to discuss EYFS and all the challenges it poses its only today that I get the chance to say anything and then I don't really stand a chance as it's all critical of me.

Now have a couple of months to get it ready in their eyes but I am really worried as the schools view of EYFS and mine which is gained from reading on here, reading the document and other reading about Early years do not match up and I am now facing having to change some things that I really believe in.

Sorry if this all sounds like a moan but first day back yesterday after illness and I have this dropped on me from a great height. Didn't sleep much last night and couldn't eat today or last night, feeling very tearful and very close to walking out on a job I love, but can't due to financial considerations.

Sorry everyone but just don't know what to do and I knew I could let off steam to my Forum friends.

Nicky Sussex :oxD

PS the head has a history of bullying other teachers out of their jobs so that doesn't help and she wouldn't give me a reference if I looked elsewhere.

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

I'm so sorry that you have walked into this. If you believe that the SMT are not fully engaged or understanding the EYFS then could you ask them to get an early years AST or advisor in to look at your practice? They would be able to speak to the head on your behalf, and if they felt there was room for improvement (and let's face it we are all constantly looking for better ways to do things!) then they could support you with this, and reassure your head about what is good practice in EYFS.

Oh dear, I do feel for you but I cannot offer any advice as I am in a family centre, I expect someone else will though. I don't think the head is allowed not to give you a reference, are you keeping a log of any bullying incidents? Might be a good idea. I am sure the children and families appreciate all your hard work, hang in there.

Oh Nicky, poor you. It sounds horrible. Could you get an Early Years Adviser to come in and see you and your head teacher? Maybe you could get in touch with your Early Years Adviser and go through things with her by yourself and then ask her to meet with you and your head? Are you in East Sussex or West Sussex? I'm in East Sussex now, but was in West Sussex 5 years ago and both counties have some good Early Years advisers.

Who are you being moderated by and what is supposed to be wrong with what you're doing? If you're having an EYs moderation and your head doesn't like your practice because it's not formal enough, if you make changes to make it less eys focussed to please your headteacher, it won't help the moderation. Talk about a rock and a hard place... I really feel for you.

Maybe if you tell us some of the specific issues that have been brought up, we could help give you some idea of things you could do that would make your headteacher happy and fit with your EYS good practice. Keep an eye on the thread - some very wise teachers will be along soon with some great advice!

The main thing is that if you really love your job, you must be doing something very right! :oxD:(

Take care... and try to eat and sleep! xx

Is there an early years advisor who works for your area? Can you not say to the head that you need some support in implementing all these changes and would it be possible to get someone from your authority to come in and support you?

Are you in west sussex? Can you ask your head if you can find out about a setting that has recently had an Ofsted inspection that you could go to visit? You need to try to get someone to support you - I am sure you know what you are talking about - you just need someone to reassure you.

(emmajess is on the same wavelength as me!)

First of all Nicky try not to get yourself into a pickle (that's my job!) Who has told you that you or your room is not up to scratch? Do you have and EY network to tap into for support seeing that non is coming from your head? If you are a one form entry school then it is sometimes tough to make changes while seeing the wood for the trees.

Have you been able to contact your moderator or have you been to your spring term cluster meeting yet? If you haven't this would be a good place to get some advice and reassurance. Remember though that the moderators role is a supportive one not a judgemental and that they are there not to criticise you but to ensure that your judgements against the profile are where you say they are.

Changes like the EYFS cannot been done by one person alone and certainly not in couple of months! The changes and challenges we all face in the EYFS have to be approached as a whole school and really should form part of the SDP. What about your performance management? Could something be recorded there in your CPD so that you get the help you need?

Don't let them grind you down Niky- I am sure you are doing a fabulous job given the constraints you work under- believe me I know- I'm and EY AST and I find it hard too! There is no magic wand in this note but just to say you are not alone in your struggle to get to grips with the EYFS.

I do hope you get it sorted- keep posting here as there is always someone to chat to :o

Thanks for all the supprot so far. My performance management meeting last year and this year said that I should be given time to visit other good Reception classes as I was being encouraged to change the practice of the previous class teacher. So I followed the advice about moving my room around and set up different zones in the room and had continuous provision in the zones but HAve Never been given time or details of other schools to visit.

I have a locality network meeting the week after half term but at the last one I just got very emotional about how the expectations were so different between my headteacher and the advisers and about not getting consisstent messages from my SMT.

The whole situation is not helped by dealing with 3 severe behaviour children last term and in all honesty ( and have said this to Head teacher) my time was taken up with that and therefore we did not produce lots of writing, recorded work etc but now the children are in a place where they are able to sit and write and record things. Last term we spent lots of time recording on dry white boards and I forgot to keep photocopies of work because I was so caught up in the behaviour issues. Added to this I have an open classroom to a teacher who spends her day screaming and shouting and my class and I literaly hit the roof several times a day with the screaming. Sadly that is bringing back all sorts of horrible memories of my ex husband (who was verbally abusive and very controlling) and of my Dad shouting at my mum, both of which I felt that I had dealt with xD . I don't feel able to say any of this at school as I know that when staff have disclosed info before it is used against them in the bullying cycle.

Thanks for your support

Nicky Sussex :o:(

Edited by Guest

Nicky I can only echo what every one else has already said about asking an EY advisor to support you.

But right now, you need to phone in sick again for tomorrow, you do not sound as if you are well enough to be at work and that compromises the health and safety of the children in your care.

Then you should contact your union, not your school rep, someone higher who can support you and alert them of the problems that you have. You probably also need to go to your doctor and get your worries on record there too and probably get yourself signed off until half term. Take the time you need to look after yourself and you will cope with this, it wont be easy but you will cope because you know that you are trying your best to do what you believe to be right.

Good luck.

I agree with Sue - get away from the immediate situation asap and make sure you tell your doctor the reason for needing to be signed off, it's not your fault!

You pay enough to the union so make sure you get them involved, they deal with this every day. Once you have had time to think things over you will be able to plan a way forward. This might include ringing other schools to arrange visits yourself,not relying on others not to do so, if that's what you want to do. Contacting your EY Advisor is crucial.

Good luck. Don't let the lack of support so far make you blame yourself in any way.

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Nicky

I am so sorry that you are having such a dreadful time at your school.

Lots of advice has already been given .

In your performance management meeting you agreed certain things...you have changed your room around and taken on advice given to improve the situation that had been left by another teacher.But you have not been given time to see other reception classes....this was agreed in your meeting so your manager? hasn't supported you and this area has not been achieved...have you got copies of your past 2 performnce management meetings?

Keep a record of all these meetings that say you are not up to scratch etc

Nicky it is a headteachers duty to provide a reference for her staff so \i don't understand why you say she would not give you one.

I am worried that you are in a terrible place ,can you look for another place?

Tinkerbellx

This sounds awful - and you definitely need to get an EY advisor in for a session - especially as it sounds like you are working in an unhealthy environment for you and the children. Something seriously needs to be done here - have no parents complained that their children are being terrorized by the screaming too?

Get some support - someone who can back you up - who knows, this audit just might work in your favour and that'll really rub her nose in it!

Nicky,

I've not worked in a school situation so can't offer you any more advice to that already given. However, don't make yourself ill over this! As Susan says, go to the doctors and explain how you're feeling and get some time out. Also, get your early years advisor's on board to support you where they can.

Are there any immediate changes you can make which don't compromise what you believe in but which will pacify the head in the short term that you are moving in the direction that they want?

Good advice from everyone especially getting your Advisory teacher involved. Nicky don't let your Dr put stress on your sick note.. not yet anyway, and it does sound as if you have returned to work before you are ready, which of course we all do because we care about our children and colleagues. Write everything down from now on, everything that has been agreed, and any comments made at any time. You may never need these but it is a good idea to have everything on record. If you do talk to your union keep it between you and them for the time being, but take their advice.

I think that there is a lot of insecurity around EYFS, and know what it can be like in schools where the rest of the staff and SMT don't really understand and often don't try to. It can be very lonely so keep coming on here as we are all here for you.

Please be reassured that an EYFSP moderation visit (I'm assuming this is what you mean) is not fo checking how you teach, how you organise your classroom, how you manage your children or how you plan your work It is primarily about how you match what you know about the child against those scale points and are you accurate in those yes/no decisions using the criteria in the handbook.

Evidence is everything recorded and unrecorded that is known about the child - you do not have to have written evidence for example to tell the moderator that the child can manage their own hygiene - you would just describe what they do every time they need to manage it.

Call your union, write everything down - comments, records of meetings, agreed outcomes etc. Get advice from your GP.

Try to stay calm.

Cx

Just to say I'm still thinking of you, Nicky! I was in quite a similar position last year, but instead of my headteacher having such a different understanding of foundation stage practice it was my job-share partner who I found realy intimidating... one of the most miserable years of my life. So now I'm back full time!! School's much better but now I feel like a terrible mummy to my 4 and 2 year old...