Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand Washing - Sharing A Bowl

Hi everyone

I think this has probably been covered before, but I admit am a little lazy to know where to search for it (sorry).

I have heard that settings who share a bowl of water for hand washing after craft etc. are beig marked down in the Oftsed reports because of poor hygiene procedures.

Has anyone come across this? Has anyone got a solution if you don't have a sink in the room because you are in a village hall?

(please don't suggest to buy a portable sink - been there before - totally unworkable - no storage space and children couldn't reach without needing to climb on a stool - risky in itself especially near a splashed floor).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between cross infection in washing paint off hands in a communal bowl, and children sharing water play, gloop, wet sand, play doh etc.?

Any advice?

Thanks - I wait with baited breath:)

Edited by Guest

Well. We have a bowl just as you describe and Ofsted made no comment on it at all - we made a big thing of showing that we change the water frequently, and that children know if they are going to be cooking they must wash their hands in running water in the bathroom.

I have mine on an old Ikea wooden chair, and I've mounted a paper towel dispenser on the back of the chair so children can manage it all themselves. The soap dispenser sits next to the bowl on the chair and it all seems to work well.

Sorry - that didn't help really did it? I guess the only difference between the things you mention that children share is that the water will always be dirty because children are washing off paint and stuff. But it doesn't seem entirely logical does it?

Maz

Could you have one of those antibac hand squirty things to use as well if you are worried?

An Ofsted advisor told us that a bowl of water changed regularly was better in some respects than the sink as children immersed their hands in the water rather than just washing the palms, which they often do in the sink.

Hmm, could you put a capful of dettol in the water??????

Could you have one of those antibac hand squirty things to use as well if you are worried?

I find these difficult to use because my hands get so sore and dry (you could probably sand down wood to a fine sheen with my hands at the moment!). Even the skin friendly, child friendly ones really sting my hands!

And imagine how much you'd get through in the course of a week!

This is another of those things that seems to be largely down to the attitude of the inspector you get on the day - not exactly rigorous or fair, is it? :o

Maz

At our last inspection (Feb 2008) our Ofsted inspector disapproved of us using a communal bowl for handwashing and it was one of our recommendations.

We bought a pump action portable sink. It cost loads of money, it's really fiddly to pump any water and the plastic waste pipes keep splitting ! :o

Our inspecto"condemned" our bowl of water. Unfortunately our pump action sink had broken (yet again)a few weeks before. We have now replaced it with a portable electric one. This is much better but cost about £500. The customer care service is brilliant.

Our wrists were slapped for using a communal bowl. Being the outspoken person that I am, I argued the point but needless to say that got me nowhere fast. Mrs O suggested that the children could use the basins in the cloakroom without adult supervision - that goes completely against my statement 'children will always be in the sight of at least one adult'. So we are in the position of constantly losing a staff member to 'handwashing duties', we do sometimes just use wipes but I have no idea how that would go down.

Have found this thread v. interesting - proof positive that inspectors are not all singing from the same hymn sheet!

Sunnyday

Our wrists were slapped for using a communal bowl. Being the outspoken person that I am, I argued the point but needless to say that got me nowhere fast. Mrs O suggested that the children could use the basins in the cloakroom without adult supervision - that goes completely against my statement 'children will always be in the sight of at least one adult'. So we are in the position of constantly losing a staff member to 'handwashing duties', we do sometimes just use wipes but I have no idea how that would go down.

Have found this thread v. interesting - proof positive that inspectors are not all singing from the same hymn sheet!

Sunnyday

Yes we too are fed up of constantly losing staff member to toilets to wash hands. we have started using wipes for befor snack time instead. still have to go to toilets for painty/doughy/sandy hands tho!

The antibacterial gels contain alcohol. Certainly in first aid any use even non alcoholic wipes with anti bacterial properties are frowned, upon because of the risk of allergies.

Yes, just updated our policy for handwashing and noticed the PSLA advise that 'very young children should not use antibacterial soap'. So we'll finish our current stock of a bottle and a half and then get some ordinary soap

Yes, just updated our policy for handwashing and noticed the PSLA advise that 'very young children should not use antibacterial soap'. So we'll finish our current stock of a bottle and a half and then get some ordinary soap

In fact we were told both on our first aid and our food hygiene training that there is no need to use antibacterial soap at all - its the hand washing method (and the drying action itself) that is important.

I think we just feel the antibacterial stuff gives us extra piece of mind! However I do draw the line at the "keep flu germs at bay by spraying all your toys with our aerosol spray" which is being advertised at the moment! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)