Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music Memories

Rea

Following on from Sue R's blog about going down memory lane , does any music suddenly have you back at a certain age or place?

My music memories are :

Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland. I can almost feel the cold as it takes me back to the ice rink where it seems it was played more than anything else. xD

Rainbow Rising album and Black Sabbath, Fluff - he was a lovely lad! :(

Songs in the Key of life, Stevie Wonder - that lad was a horror! :o

Bryan Ferry, The midnight hour - I married that one. :(:(

Bibboty bobbity boo (from the cinderella film) - and I'm sitting in my bedroom with my little red record player.

Lips Inc - holiday in Paighton with my friend.

Elton John and Kiki Dee, Dont go breaking my heart - summer of 76 driving to Falmouth in my friends dads Granada with our heads out of the sunroof.

There are loads more I think but those are the ones that spring instantly to mind. :wacko:

Spirit In The Sky, Norman Greenbaum /Hitchin' A Ride, Vanity Fair... parties our poor parents took turns to have everyone round.....

Brown sugar.. Rolling stones.. school discos in the Hall.

Maggie May - Rod Stewart... 6th form room at school.. it was sung by all .

Rocket Man, Elton John went to see him at local venue in Edmonton... only a short bus ride away and small venue before he moved onto bigger things!

Sylvia's Mother....DR Hook.. a camping trip round Europe in a mini bus with 2 teachers and 10 pupils....

anything Barry white... Nurses home.. blared out any time day or night from room next door.. not good when working shifts!!

When I need you leo Sayer...married this one

A kind of Hush - Hermans Hermits.... my son was just 6 weeks old when we went out to a big do..took him with us and he was in a room next to their dressing room in Mess ( Army life) Sat feeding him while they rehearsed this one.. a good do got in about 5am as I remember it!

Circle of life..Lion King..stage version..powerful show....

Lots more but wont bore you..music evokes lots of memories for me...

Inge

If we sang 'Lily the Pink' we were fined a penny (1d) by Mum cos then she couldn't stop singing it!

Tina Charles 'I love to love' Ice skating competition in Bradford

Gonna get along without you now! (ditched boyfriend Steve)

I'll be home soon - Beverley Craven (my husband bought me that)

Great preparation for my Desert Island Discs thread in a few hundred posts' time, Rea! xD

The Shoop Shoop song by Cher - was constantly on the radio when we moved to this house when MrsWeasley was a baby (but now I'm wondering if this can really be true: it was such a long time ago!).

My Friend Stan by Slade - which I was persuaded to dance to at an impromptu 'entertainment' evening at my Aunt's house in Ireland years and years ago when I was a shy, gangly kid.

The Sunshine of My Smile - which I cried endlessly to whenever it was played on the radio just after my mum died. Her opening statement whenever she saw one of us kids or my cousins was "hello sunshine!"

Danny Boy by anyone - the song my dad always sang when drunk and over-emotional. Although his singing days are long gone, sadly.

Mmmbop by Hansen - the first song my oldest son ever really liked. His musical taste has changed drastically since he was five!

That'll be the Day by Buddy Holly - my friends and I used to sing this all the time at school for no particular reason at all.

We plough the fields and scatter - takes me right back to harvest festival and taking our filled food boxes round to the old folk who lived near my infant school.

Black Velvet Band by the Dubliners - played at full pelt whenever mum was feeling homesick!

Wonder what that little list says about me? :o

Maz

reading Mazs list reminded me of one

The Israelites Desmond Decker... mum used to sing this while ironing..trouble was she sang it in her head until getting to the phrase ' The Isrealites' which she would sing out load... scared the living daylights out of my friends.

Michael Jackson's 'Dirty Diana', 'Man in the Mirror' - my youngest son would have been about 11 and a great Jacko fan - I rashly promised that if M.J. ever did a tour in England (at that point he never had!) that I would take him to see him. Needless to say a couple of weeks later he announced tour dates - took my son and a friend of his to Wembley Stadium - what a wonderful day we had - 'this is the way memories are made'. My son - twenty years on and two beautiful daughters later still says that this was one of the best days of his life - oh that's now brought a tear to my eye - will leave now to 'pull myself' together!

Sunnyday

The Israelites Desmond Decker... mum used to sing this while ironing..trouble was she sang it in her head until getting to the phrase ' The Isrealites' which she would sing out load... scared the living daylights out of my friends.

Ooh I wonder if my mum and yours were related Inge - sounds just like the sort of thing she'd do! :o

Reading Cait's about her ditched boyfriend reminded me of one: I'm making my way back to you babe (by the Spinners apparently - just had to look it up) which I used to sing along to just about the time when I was getting back together with my future husband after a period apart (should've taken notice of the signs, really!).

Maz

School asemblies reminds me of 'O Jesus I have promised' but the jazzy version NOT the one we were given at our wedding, dour and boring. I can still smell and feel the school floor wax.

Earliest one for me would be Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by The Middle of the Road. I used to sing it at the top of my voice whenever it came on the radio.

Then anything by the Bay City Rollers. I had all of their albums on cassette and wore them all out playing them so much. :(

We Will Rock You by Queen brings back memories of the Friday night Prison Officers Club disco.

Pop Muzik by M reminds me of my best friend at middle school who I have recently tracked down via Facebook and will be meeting up with over half term. I'll just have to say 'Blue Moon and party feelings' to her and a million memories will come rushing back. xD

Three Times a Lady by the Commodores was the song me and my boyfriend (now husband) would smooch to. :(

Fool for Your Loving was the first Whitesnake single I bought and soon collected all of their albums. I was in heaven when I got to finally see them at Castle Doningtons Monsters of Rock in 1983. I was so in love with David Coverdale. :o

took my son and a friend of his to Wembley Stadium

Ooh memories of going with MrsWeasley to see the Spices at Wembley just before Ginger did a runner. Should have realised something was amiss when I saw her give MelB the two fingered salute whilst singing "i'll tell you what I want what I really really want"! :o

Maz

My sister's husband went to school with her (MelB) and she asked him out once and he said not B** likely!

Some might say he had a lucky escape - but I wouldn't say anything quite so catty! :o

Maz

Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland.

A disco in our local hall - I sent my "best friend" over to ask a boy to dance with me to it...when I looked again she was snogging him! I think of that EVERY TIME I hear it! But turns out I was better off without him in the end! :o

Scrap scrap scrap xD

Ooh this reminds me: remember that soppy song by Terry Jacks "we had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun..." can't remember what it was called!

When I was at secondary school there used to be regular fights between our boys (and even the girls! :o ) and those from a neighbouring school - John Hunt of Everest. So the lads modified the lyrics:

"we had joy we had fun, we had John Hunt on the run" and the rest was probably too rude to print here. I'll bet they thought they were so clever!

Maz

Ooh this reminds me: remember that soppy song by Terry Jacks "we had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun..." can't remember what it was called!

D'OH!! it was called 'Seasons in the Sun' :oxD

D'OH!! it was called 'Seasons in the Sun' :( :(

Oh yes of course it was - forgot to delete that bit when I remembered what it was called - I may just go and edit it out now to make you look silly Cait! xD

Maz

PS What does 'seasons out of time' mean, anyway? :o

This thread got me thinking about things good and bad!! :o

Dancing Queen by Abba - remember dancing round the kitchen in Holland and my mum doing the ironing and smiling at me. Was about 7 at the time.

Pass the Douchie by musical youth - the first record I ever bought - playing it upstairs in my grannys bedroom as she woudn't let me bring the record player downstairs.

The Killing Moon - Echo and the Bunnymen - walking home from a friends house in scotland with my personal casette player with very large headphones at full volume.

Thorn in my side by Eurythmics - families club disco (services child) me n my friends singing at the top of our voices

It must be love by madness - reminds me of my cousin who was killed in a car accident 12 years ago, he was a year older than me and I can remember a load of us travelling to France in a minibus for a holiday and he kept playing this over and over again as he was in the front in control of the music!!

Have I told you lately that I love you by Van Morrison - first dance as a married couple. It was and still is our song!

Temple of Love by Sisters of Mercy - getting ready to go out in a friends house with all the other 'goth' girls!!

Town I Loved So Well - my dad always sang it as it was one of his favourites. Just reminds me of everyone saying what a great voice he had and I remember sitting there thinking "Thats MY dad!!"

There are loads more but I wont bore you with them.

Might start going through old record collection again, some of those songs I havent heard in years!!

We had joy we had fun flicking bogies at the sun.. but the sun got to hot and bogies turned to snot xD

...and now I know why she has gone off to have a bath laughing her head off. Really it is beyond the pale! Would you send your child to be looked after by mine? :o

Maz