Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chocolate!

Beau

Now that I have your attention, I am hoping I might tempt you to have a go at this months competition. :o It's that time of year when many people are trying to diet, but however hard they try their thoughts keep turning to chocolate! So instead of reaching for one, why don't you go in search of answers to our chocolate related quiz instead. xD

When you have finished please do not post the answers in this thread!

Just pm them to me before the closing date of 24th February 2009. If there is more than one entry with 20 correct answers the names will be drawn at random. The winner will receive a FSF mug and the runner up a FSF badge. :(

Good luck everyone!

1. Who was the first European to bring back the cocoa bean from Nicaragua?

2. What is the best selling chocolate bar of all time in America and what was it called in the UK prior to 1990?

3. “What use are cartridges in battle? I always carry chocolate instead” Where is this quote from and who wrote it?

4. Approximately how many cocoa beans are needed to make 1lb of chocolate?

5. Which were the 3 largest cocoa producing countries in 2004?

6. Which film does this quote come from? ”Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.”

7. A Swiss manufacturer produced the first milk chocolate bar using powdered milk in which year?

8. When is ‘Chocolate Week’ this year?

9. How many calories are there in one 22g Twirl finger?

10. Who is Ek Chuah and what is his connection to chocolate?

11. Apart from being manufacturers of chocolate, what did John Cadbury, Jospeh Fry and Henry Rowntree have in common?

12. We probably all recognise the names Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt, Violet Beauregarde, Mike Teavee and Charlie Bucket, but what was the full name of the child who got edited out before the publication of the original version of the book?

13. What is the name of the compound found in chocolate which is toxic to some animals, particularly dogs?

14. What is the name of the tree which gives the best quality of cacao beans?

15. Chocolate is the name of a song written by British songwriters Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas. Who recorded it and what album can it be found on?

16. Which country consumes the most chocolate per capita?

17. What is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate?

18. What is the link between Willy Wonka and a character called Roux?

19. What was the name of the milk chocolate covered bar with a toasted coconut and caramel centre produced between 1985-1994?

20. What can be found in Thornton’s ‘Chocoholic Hamper’ and how much does it cost?

Remember, when you have finished please do not post the answers in this thread!

Feel free to share any other chocolate related jokes, quotes, nostalgia or woes if you like though. :(

so you don't feel lonely this time will reply ... but Beau I don't really like chocolate.... now if it was all about cheese!!!

Still with time on my hands at the moment I will perhaps have a go.. lets hope lots more do too...the mugs and badges are great....

Inge

Ahh Beau I thought you were going to ask us to complete the sentence.

Chocolate is better than men because...

But Im chuffed with myself that I know 9 answers without looking them up!!

But Im not telling..

Did anyone listen to Chris Evans on Radio 2 tonight? - he had a caller who said she had lost 3 1/2 stone in a year and her trick was instead of finishing up whatever was left on her children's plates, or the chocolates, or the cheese that was beckoning to her in an inviting way she just gave them (the offending food article) a good squirt of washing up liquid so that they tasted too nasty to eat!

Genius!

Thought I'd share my answers :o

Just off the top of my head....................

1.Who was the first European to bring back the cocoa bean from Nicaragua?

Mr Bean ?

2. What is the best selling chocolate bar of all time in America and what was it called in the UK prior to 1990?

The 1989 bar? I just want the secret recipe, could start a whole new career in choc production!!

3. “What use are cartridges in battle? I always carry chocolate instead” Where is this quote from and who wrote it?

Cartridges help the printer work, and chocolate helps the work get printed

4. Approximately how many cocoa beans are needed to make 1lb of chocolate?

Depends if you convert the weight of the chocolate to kilogram’s (only joking)

5. Which were the 3 largest cocoa producing countries in 2004?

Cocoatia (Croatia) cocoanada (Canada) cocohina (China)

6. Which film does this quote come from? ”Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.”

Knowing my luck I’ll get the coffee flavoured ones YUK

7. A Swiss manufacturer produced the first milk chocolate bar using powdered milk in which year?

The year his daughters first milk tooth fell out?

8. When is ‘Chocolate Week’ this year?

Every week !!

9. How many calories are there in one 22g Twirl finger?

Depends if you eat the wrapper

10. Who is Ek Chuah and what is his connection to chocolate?

Ek Chocs brother?

11. Apart from being manufacturers of chocolate, what did John Cadbury, Jospeh Fry and Henry Rowntree have in common?

They are all men?

12. We probably all recognise the names Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt, Violet Beauregarde, Mike Teavee and Charlie Bucket, but what was the full name of the child who got edited out before the publication of the original version of the book?

Desperate Dan?

13. What is the name of the compound found in chocolate which is toxic to some animals, particularly dogs?

Is it Andrex, particularly hazardous to Chocolate Labradors as they are not known to be as cute as the Golden Labrador favoured in TV ads?

14. What is the name of the tree which gives the best quality of cacao beans?

Coconut tree, due to its chocolate covered bountyful harvest

15. Chocolate is the name of a song written by British songwriters Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas. Who recorded it and what album can it be found on?

Errol Brown - Hot Chocolate - greatest hits?

16. Which country consumes the most chocolate per capita?

see question 5, whichever one I am visiting at the time of the audit.

17. What is sometimes used as a substitute for chocolate?

In my house, Liquorice (used to be wine)

18. What is the link between Willy Wonka and a character called Roux?

They shared their last Rouxlo? (Rolo)

19. What was the name of the milk chocolate covered bar with a toasted coconut and caramel centre produced between 1985-1994?

How would I know, I’m too young.

20. What can be found in Thornton’s ‘Chocoholic Hamper’ and how much does it cost?

OOOPS..I ate them all without looking, lovely present, price isn’t everything you know

Great fun Beau, thanks for taking the time to collate these great questions and setting up the February quiz. xD

Peggy

Peggy, You have just made me laugh so much with that. :( I've already got 4 lots of answers from diehard quiz fans! :o By the way, for those members who already have won a mug or a badge, there is now a FSF pen as an alternative prize as HappyMaz will be able to tell you all soon. xD

there is now a FSF pen as an alternative prize as HappyMaz will be able to tell you all soon. :o

Oh happy day - 'soon' is now! My lovely pen arrived this morning - very tasteful in FSF colours, with a comfortable grip. And the best bit: it worked the first time I tried it unlike all those pens that you need to scratch and scribble at to get the ink flowing!

Thank you!

Maz

Oh happy day - 'soon' is now! My lovely pen arrived this morning - very tasteful in FSF colours, with a comfortable grip. And the best bit: it worked the first time I tried it unlike all those pens that you need to scratch and scribble at to get the ink flowing!

Thank you!

Maz

Now you've made me jealous! :oxD

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have now totted up the results and can reveal that the winner is............

someone on the forum! :o

First the answers though, just to keep up the suspense. xD

1. Who was the first European to bring back the cocoa bean from Nicaragua?

When I was researching my questions I had a feeling that this one was going to cause a little controversy so I was extremely careful with my wording. A couple of people gave Hernando Cortez as the answer. He did indeed realise the commercial value of the cocoa bean and was instrumental in introducing 'chocolate' into Europe by bringing back cocoa beans and introducing the wonderful 'chocolatl' drink that he had experienced whilst in Mexico. However, this didn't happen until 1528.

Christopher Colombus came across cocoa beans during one of his trips to the New World at the Mosquito Coast, which we now know as Nicaragua. He brought them back to Spain on his return in 1504, however, no one was very interested in them!

So the answer is Christopher Columbus. :(

The answer is Snickers, which incidentally was introduced in 1930 by Mars. They named it after the family horse! I can't find anything to say why, but here it was marketed as Marathon until 1990 when it was brought into line with the rest of the world. :o