Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Unsettling News For Us

Cait

:o We have had some bad news today; the Chapel in which we are situated has decided to suspend services with a view to closing. There is to be a meeting in March for the final discussion.

The Minister is very anxious that we will be allowed to stay - he really likes us being there and is happy that the building is being used to benefit the community. He's going to put this view to the Ministry circuit or whatever they are called, as they will in all likelihood become the new owners of the building.

So, a couple of scenarios will arise from this, 1. that a new letting agreement will be drawn up with the new 'owners' and we will have sole use of the building, which they will maintain, or 2. that we will have to move out and the building will be sold.

Obviously there's not a lot of chance we could afford to buy it - unless they let us have it at a peppercorn to absolve themselves of the responsibility of a 100+ year old building, which has woodworm and dry rot, etc.

So, well at least we kind of know where we stand at the moment. We're in a rural village and there's nowhere else we can go. xD

Oh dear Cait - what a shame. :o

I know you can't do much until you know what the decision is, but I would speak to your early years team as early as possible so they are aware of your situation.

Good luck - hope it all ends well!

Maz

oh so sorry to here this, community preschools, nursery schools, playschools what ever they are called are sooo needed it is a shame I for one do not want these valueable assets/places/communites being swallowed up or cast aside. Hope it all works out ok.

Hmm, it's not good is it. 10 years ago our local area Sure Start wanted to build us our very own building but the parish council didn't want them to because they didn't want to be saddled with a building that no-one could afford to run. It wasn't explained very well, Sure Start was very new, and no-one could really answer our questions about liability or bills etc.

How much different would life have been 'down that trouser leg?'

Thanks to everyone for your support. We moved into the chapel 7 years ago - for 30 weeks whilst the school had 'space for sports and the arts' built, and we're still there! The school didn't have room for us to move back after the work was done - there had been a change in headteacher during the build and the new one wasn't inclined towards early years and jealous of our success. They also wanted to charge us rent, whereas as part of the school previously we had never paid rent.

So we stayed in the chapel, and made the space our own, and it's home now, even though it's not ideal with high draughty windows. We had a chunk of ceiling plaster fall in suddenly in the week before Christmas and the Minister told us to 'just move into the Chapel while it's sorted out' and it's been great in that much larger space. He has told me today that we can keep using the whole building - 'just use it - treat it as your own' which we certainly will do.

So, watch this space - we need to keep positive about it, my Mum says that everything happens for a reason, so perhaps we have an exciting time ahead of us

Hi Cait,

I really feel for you. The same thing happened to my setting three years ago. I had been working there four years, went in after the Christmas break only to be told we were closing. Thankfully, I got another job and i am still there. In fact the closure did me a favour as I am now in a school which i always wanted. Try and keep positive :o

I can empathize with you as I have similar building issues at the moment although thankfully not as drastic (I hope!). Hope everything works out for you.

I echo all others thoughts, fingers crossed that everything works out for you. Good advice from HappyMaz, maybe also do some research to find out what other 'church' settings have in terms of 'letting agreements', thus reducing the possibilty of any 'surprises'. Maybe also contact business link, they have a wealth of knowledge re: letting agreements, funding avenues etc, or 'know a man that can', help. Don't dismiss the idea of 'buying the building, there are people called business angels (or something like that) who mentor and support through finance business ventures. possibly this could turn out to be very exciting times ahead.

Have an open mind to all possibilities, get as many people on board supporting you, coming up with ideas, thinking 'out the box' so to speak. Rural area, are there lots of farms around, maybe one has an unused outbuilding that could be converted?

March will come around very quickly, so busy times ahead, starting Monday. :o

Good luck, keep up your obviously positive attitude, if it wavers, you know we are all hear to listen.

Peggy

Hi Cait

I also echo everyone's thoughts so far, Cait. You mother gave you wise advice too! You so obviously have a brilliant setting and that is you, the staff and the children. Also, a lovely minister who supports what you are doing. So wherever you end up, whatever happens, that goodwill remains.

I look forward to hearing what happens.

Lesley :o

• 1 month later...

The meeting was meant to be last Tuesday, but was postponed due to someone's ill health. I think it's today, but the caretaker didn't know if we were on the agenda as she'd not been asked to prepare anything, or inform me of the new date. So, we're still in limbo, and we keep starting sentences at staff meetings with "when we find out...." It's not easy, but in some respects I've 'been here' for the last 5 years, waiting for the pin to drop and we find out, one way or another.

So, I'll keep you posted!

Hali, you can uncross everything. They had the meeting last night.

WE CAN STAY!!!!!

We're thrilled!!

Rent to be reassessed of course, and a new lease to be drawn up, but hey, we can plan for September now!

Edited by Cait

Fantastic - great to hear positive news!

Are you planning a party to celebrate?

Maz

For sure! I made gluten free buns tonight ready for decorating tomorrow!