Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Sort Of Camera ?

We've been looking a Camera's for the children at our preschool and I thought I ask others their opinions to what you are using with the children in your settings.

So far we have thought about a Vtech / Fisher Price or Little Tikes children’s camera.

However I let the children loose on Monday with the practitioners camera, which has questioned which could be the best sort of camera for the children to use.

Picture quality and so on, need to be thought about as my own child has a Fisher price one and the picture quality on the LCD screen is not great.

We are looking around the £50 price tag.

Looking forward to you views

We've been looking a Camera's for the children at our preschool and I thought I ask others their opinions to what you are using with the children in your settings.

So far we have thought about a Vtech / Fisher Price or Little Tikes children’s camera.

However I let the children loose on Monday with the practitioners camera, which has questioned which could be the best sort of camera for the children to use.

Picture quality and so on, need to be thought about as my own child has a Fisher price one and the picture quality on the LCD screen is not great.

We are looking around the £50 price tag.

Looking forward to you views

we just use simple adult ones xD

Is that because you have simple adults? :o

I just bought a 5 megapixel one from Asda for £35 - and it even has a case to enable you to use it under water! :(

Maz

I would definately go for an adult type camera. We bought the Fisher Price one last year for the children to use as we thought it would be more robust. Even theough the casing is sturdy the picture quality is poor and it takes 4 AA batteries as opposed to the normal 2 in standard digital cameras (we use rechargeable).

I wish I had bought a cheap adult one like the one mentioned above instead (although I daren't tell our burser that!)

I tend now to let the children use the group camera rather than the fisher price one. Hope that persuades you.

I'm sure I've read an article in Nursery World recently about cameras being manhandled by children.

We use fuji finepix cameras which fit into our pockets nicely and we can hand them over to children to use - with the camera straps round their wrists. We also picked up a cheap camera on amazon which they take with Shelby (our holiday Koala) on their holidays

We use adult cameras!

Got ours from Amazon.

Good amount of pixels (8 million I think) and obviously just point and press.

They are not the same..... one is red and one silver but they are fairly small and easy for little hands.

We attach the loop for the handle but then add ribbon to that so whoever is using the camera puts the ribbon around their neck in an attempt to stop it being dropped on the floor.

I think both were £50 or so. One might have been £40.

The cheaper cameras tend to be those who have had other models come out since!!

As I said Amazon was a good place to shop!

I'd agree with using an adult one with a strap - when I was an ICT co-ordinator, we were given cameras and videos 'especially made for use by children' and honestly they were more complicated to use to download pics/video than 'adult' ones. By using an 'adult' one, it is more likely that the children will have had prior experience of using one similar before at home and know how to use and be careful with it!!!

As for straps - I think you can get spare straps for Wii Remotes which had a thing which holds the strap around the wrist - my 3 1/2 yr old neice uses it with the remote and keeps it nice and safely attached.

I'd agree with using an adult one with a strap

Yup, I'm beginning to agree with you. I've been looking for 6 months for a camera for our nursery school and every child-orientated one I've looked at has had a show-stopper attached to it somewhere. And I also believe that it's disrespectful of the children to pass rubbish off on them just because they're kids. I think I'm going to go for http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012ER4H0. It's expensive but rugged and it won't matter when they try to wash it up!

Yup, I'm beginning to agree with you. I've been looking for 6 months for a camera for our nursery school and every child-orientated one I've looked at has had a show-stopper attached to it somewhere. And I also believe that it's disrespectful of the children to pass rubbish off on them just because they're kids. I think I'm going to go for http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012ER4H0. It's expensive but rugged and it won't matter when they try to wash it up!

I was brought this camera for my personal use last xmas. It's excellent and the children have used it in setting, I know it can be used with wet hands and on sand beaches and with a little loving care and clean water it carry's on working just like the first time. My only advice to you is to buy a second battery, as it can go very quickly.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I'll pass them onto the Manager and let you know which we end up purchasing.

If you look here Fujishop There are lots of refurbished cameras which is where we got ours. They may be ex catalogue or ex display - there's nothing wrong with them at all - plus they come with a warranty anyway

Luckily I bought lots of Christmas presents from Boots so had nearly enough points (so I've stocked up on shampoo and bought my printer inks ~ slightly more expensive than my normal source~ to make up the points )but I thought £103 off was too good to miss

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in this topic as we are also in the market for a new camera.

I have had a Fuji Finepix myself before and was very pleased with it. Are you using yours in the setting Marion and are you pleased with it?

I am also investigating the refurbished cameras so thank you for the web link.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)