Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Short Stay In Switzerland

Guest Wolfie

Did anyone else watch this last night? In my opinion, the best piece of new drama that I have seen for years - Julie Walters should undoubtedly be nominated for awards for her performance in my opinion.

Twenty four hours later I am still pondering the moral dilemmas and issues that the storyline raised.

Did anyone else watch this last night? In my opinion, the best piece of new drama that I have seen for years - Julie Walters should undoubtedly be nominated for awards for her performance in my opinion.

Twenty four hours later I am still pondering the moral dilemmas and issues that the storyline raised.

watched it till near the end when she was brushing her hair and putting on her makeup - reminded me too much then of my dear mum who passed away a year ago - went into floods of tears and turned it over - uptil then i must agree was the best drama around for a long time - mind you unforgiven tonight has been a good watch too

I didn't watch it as I felt a bit wobbly yesterday (thought I may flood the house with tears) will have to catch it on iplayer.....I thought it would be compelling, Julie W is fabulous.

Edited by Guest

I didn't watch it as I felt a bit wobbly yesterday (thought I may flood the house with tears) will have to catch it on iplayer.....I thought it would be compelling, Julie W is fabulous.

why isn't it Dame Julie Walters - it certainly should be!

Sunnyday

No, I haven't seen it but had intended to watch - even given the traumatic nature of the viewing.

We were talking about some of the issues involved today - and it seems to me that the two sides of the argument about 'assisted dying' or whatever terminology you care to use are never likely to be able to agree.

In the last days of my mum's life I was a very scared 17 year old trying to do the best I could. Whilst administering what turned out to be a final dose of morphine I realised she was slipping away - but that at that moment I had the power to ease her hasten her death and ease her obvious pain. I didn't take the opportunity to and with hindsight I don't think she would have wanted me to. She had many opportunities to take an overdose since we administered all her pain relief (liquid morphine) at home without support of nurses or doctors. If she had wanted to take her life I'm sure she had the strength of will to do it. I didn't feel it was my decision to take, and I'm not sure whether I would have felt able to support her if she had chosen a 'short stay in Switzerland' or whatever the equivalent was in 1980.

I certainly know that whichever path a dying person takes towards their death is a brave one. And my guess is that until you receive the diagnosis of a terminal illness and the knowledge of the kind of death you may experience, only you can know which path you will take. If you are very lucky your loved ones will support your decision, however hard it is for them to understand or come to terms with. So I would never judge anyone for the decisions they make when faced with this dilemma.

Actually, I don't think I'll watch it after all - all though I'm sure Julie Walters was brilliant as ever. Probably just worked through a lot of my 'issues' right here.

Thanks for listening - sorry if I've made an already sad thread more depressing. :o

Maz

Excellent drama by the BBC and Julie Walters.Not sure all sides of the arguement were made but it was also a family's story so had to be true to them and her. I did cry buckets and was shocked at the quickness of the end and why it was as it was.

No-one can foresee how we would react if it was us or a family member so its wouldn't be right to express a view. My dad is query Hogkinsons and today fell down the bus stairs (downstairs was full and no-one stood) It brings it home.

Big Hugs Maz (((((HUGS))))))

My dad is query Hogkinsons and today fell down the bus stairs (downstairs was full and no-one stood) It brings it home.

biccy that's dreadful - it really makes you wonder what is happening to us, doesn't it? Hope your dad isn't too battered and bruised and most of all that he turns out not to have Hogkinsons. It must be a very difficult time for you all.

Take care

Mx

HappyMaz you really are wonderful...you may have felt that you pulled this thread down but in fact you have lifted it.....when I read your post I thought how brave you are and how honest and how lovely to share such a personal experience with us. You are a very special person - your mum must of known that. :o

HappyMaz you really are wonderful...you may have felt that you pulled this thread down but in fact you have lifted it.....when I read your post I thought how brave you are and how honest and how lovely to share such a personal experience with us. You are a very special person - your mum must of known that. :o

Agreed! Everyone brings their own life experiences and emotions to bear on a particular situation and dilemma and not everyone is able or "brave" enough to voice those feelings. We can all learn so much form everyone else's opinions and experiences. As Maz says, no-one can possibly decide how they would react and feel in that situation, emotions and reactions have a habit of surprising us all on a regualr basis.

I think that the programme will possibly have opened up fresh and frank discussions of the type that Maz initiated across the country, which can only be a good thing in my opinion.