Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childrens Records

Are we expected to keep copies of childrens records after they have left us. I have had a query from a parent wanting copies of their child observations.We expained to her that all her childs work had been given to her 6 years ago. after filling in the transfer sheet for the school.I can't imagine being able to store this ammount of records.The parent has lost them and is disappointed that we don't have copies.

We've been talking about this recently in our group - some of our observations are typed up (especially by those of us who are shorthand writers), but most are handwritten. Our advisory teacher asked us how we would justify our profile assessments once we have passed on our observations to the parent.

So we have been thinking about how or whether we should retain observations (and for how long) but the thought of photocopying a child's observations going back over two and a half years fills me with dread! We're a small group and I'm only in my third year of ownership but already I've built up a sizeable amount of archived paperwork - registration forms, permission slips, first aid forms etc.

I guess if you have electronic copies of the transfer reports, these could be kept indefinitely - but short of microfiching them (anyone remember microfiche?) I can't see how keeping observations for an extended period would be feasible.

Maz

I guess if you have electronic copies of the transfer reports, these could be kept indefinitely - but short of microfiching them (anyone remember microfiche?) I can't see how keeping observations for an extended period would be feasible.

Maz

Oh my god, yes I do remember microfiching. :oxD:(

More to the point why does this woman want them after 6 years?

The parent wants the records because the school have now decided that the child may need to be statemented.

This was the scenario we've been thinking of. There must be some official guidance, I'd have thought.

I have a register of the "needy children" and a note of their difficulties but he is not on this.Fortunately I have a very good memory anyway so I can write a brief letter. I remember him well friendly,enthuisiastic and not really interested in sitting down writing, just a typical 4 year old boy really.Often these things don't come to light untill children have to read and write formally do they.

Perhaps hand them all to the parent when the child moves on with a note explaining that they may be required in the future?

Hardly our responsibility if the parents lose them :o

Nona

We were advised that all records other than the 'legal requirements' should be given to parents when the child leaves.

Surely at some point parents have got to start taking fully responsibility for their children........ after all it was the parent that lost the orignals.

Sounds a bit harsh of me - but it sometimes feel so much is expected of us.

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)