Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teetotal Wine Buff

So, due to my acute pancreatitis attack, now on the mend, I am as of 28th December totally teetotal. :o

When the doctors advised never to let alcohol pass my lips again, whilst I was in pain, I assured them 150% that I will follow their advice, never wanting to go through the health experience again.

So 3 weeks later, watching hubby enjoy a glass of vino with the evening meal, my abstinence is somewhat difficult. :(

Hubby bought me a bottle of "WHITE", Alcohol free aromatised Wine, produced in Germany (from Sainsbury's). Well it's ok if you like something that resembles Alka Selza with a tinge of Apple essence, ( and yes it smells like that too) a little fizz with a sweet fruity taste. YUK.

Help please are there any non alcoholic wine buffs out there who could recommend something for me. My pre non alcohol days I enjoyed Sainsbury's HOC, a medium white wine.

and any suggestions for a non alcoholic replica for Dark Rum and diet coke would be an added bonus. xD (mind you I'm also abstaining from 'diet' drinks as I don't think the saccarin (spl) in them are that healthy either. :( )

Peggy

saccharin - yeah - foul stuff.

Have you tried just having something different - a J2O or something? I don't drink much wine at all, a glass or two at Christmas and that's about it, so I can't really help, I'm sorry to say. Are the rum flavouring thingies any good in a glass of coke?

Peggy, first let me say it's great to see you back.

As for the Alcohol free drinks, well I've yet to find any I like. That said there maybe someone out there who has found something.

I gave up alcohol this time last year, at first it was hard and I did slip but now I'm really not bothered. I certainly don't miss the fuzzy head feeling the next day :o

I love ice cold appletize (sp)? Guess you've just got to find something that floats your boat! Good luck

I am really sorry to say that I have never found a pleasant non-alcoholic wine :o I think that if they were almost as good we would go for them, rather than wine itself.

These are early days Peggy and you must be finding it very hard. I think that looking for something similar tasting to wine, or rum and coke is not going to work, as you will just not get that 'hit' so your drink will never taste as good. I think Cait's suggestion of finding something different is the answer. Put it in a lovely jug or carafe to give it some style and make it feel special.

I enjoy sparkling water, and if you mix it with pure fruit juice it can be really pleasant. Add an ice cube made with squeezed fruit juice, or frozen slices of lemon or lime. You could actually have some fun experimenting. Try making some ginger-beer with your children which can be great fun. It has a good strong flavour as well. I did it at school once and put the bottles by a radiator, you can imagine what eventually happened. Silly me!

Glad to hear you're feeling so much better, Peggy. I've got a 4 year old and a 2 year old and so have had 18 months worth of teetotalism lately and I'm sorry to say that like Jacqui, I never found a drink to match wine... I'm not really into beer, but while I was pregnant I drank non-alcoholic Becks quite a lot and quite enjoyed that - it seemed to me quite similar to the alcoholic version - in fact I think I preferred it as it didn't have the beery effects of beer!

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks for suggestions so far, jackieL your comments especially have made me think, not trying to recreate but to create from new. Do you have the ginger beer recipe? (What did the cleaner say? or are you the cleaner too :oxD )

I do like fruit, but tend to like less sweet drinks, maybe a tonic water mix would work, really got me thinking now, thanks all.

any other replies appreciated too.

Peggy

Great to have you back....I quite like non alcoholic lager...even the supermarket brands are ok....it makes me feel like I am having a beer but without the jolly feeling. :oxD

Hi Peggy... the best non alcoholic drink i ever had was in spain, i had a non alcoholic cocktail it was delisciuos but i have no idea what they put it in.... so not much help really... i could go back to spain to find out!!!!!!!!!!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Peggy glad you are better

I decide to go tee total (dont drink tea so call it coffee total) 3 years ago and don't miss alcohol at all.

My favourite tipples are ginger beer as already mentioned Fentimans Lemonade (quite sharp) and in our pubs up here in yorkshire there are bottles of elderflower,or rhubarb and raspberry,.....again not sweet.I did drink 2os but found them too sweet.

have fun checking different fruit juices out

It will get easier

Tinkerbellxx

my favourite is tonic mixed with pink grapefruit squash or grapefruit juice. Elderflower presse is another good one or purdeys or Ame if you prefer something more herbally. Good luck

Yeah I was thinking that - but I bet you had a conversation like we would have had 'There's no reason why you should have to go without, just 'cos I have to', and 'It doesn't matter, I don't want to sit in front of you with it'

Is grape juice any good? Not tried it myself, just wondered

It would be so much easier if your husband joined your alcohol free zone, Peggy!

I understand where your coming from Susan but as he does most everything else for me (washing, cooking, ironing, school runs, food shopping plus all the housework and the 'manly' jobs around the house) whilst I pass the hours away on the forum, in front of the TV or reading a book, playing with the children and now and again helping the children with homework, and a bit of admin re: fostering, he needs his 'tipple' much more than I do. I wouldn't dream of asking him to abstain. :o

Peggy

Yeah I was thinking that - but I bet you had a conversation like we would have had 'There's no reason why you should have to go without, just 'cos I have to', and 'It doesn't matter, I don't want to sit in front of you with it'

Is grape juice any good? Not tried it myself, just wondered

We are actually planning our first night out, next week 'at the local pub' since I came home from hospital. Hubby's already told the landlord that I shall be taking in my own refreshments. :o

One added bonus I suppose is that we can plan to travel a bit further for evenings out, change of scenery, different people to meet, no arguments about who's driving eh. xD

Peggy

My husband likes 'Pom'(made from pomegranate juice) as a wine substitute, its in the chiller cabinate in Sainsburys and Waitrose its not as sweet as some drinks but they do one with mango if you like it sweeter. Lime and soda for me if abstaining or cranberry juice and tonic. Good luck ....at least you can still have chocolate!!! :o

My husband likes 'Pom'(made from pomegranate juice) as a wine substitute, its in the chiller cabinate in Sainsburys and Waitrose its not as sweet as some drinks but they do one with mango if you like it sweeter. Lime and soda for me if abstaining or cranberry juice and tonic. Good luck ....at least you can still have chocolate!!! :(

Thanks Julie the 'Pom' sounds worth a try. As for chocolate, I have to limit that as well, Oh woe is me. :(:o:(

Peggy

but hey, the waistline is certainly getting trimmer. xD

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I shall print them off and add to my hubbies (or is it Hubby's) shopping list. xD

any more suggestions and maybe I could even write a teetotelors (spl?) guide to what's good or not, linked to non chocolate recipes. :o

Peggy

Although not teetotal, I drink so rarely that I may as well be. I quite like the Schloer (spl?) which they do in 'red' or 'white'. Not too sweet too which is a bonus!

All you need now is to find some chocolate-free chocolate and you'll be away! :o

Glad to hear you're well enough to contemplate a night out at the pub - is this before or after Saturday?

Maz

I once got pleasently tipsy on a bottle of white wine 'AME' I think it was called. Glass bottle - nice label.

I felt all light headed and happy etc with absoultely no after effects in the morning after...

In fact it was so good I had to buy more!!! I then spent ages in the drinks ailse looking for it, and had to resort to asking......... only to be pointed in the direction of the 'Water' section!!

So that's my teetotal tip.

xxx

I love Ame too, and really agree with the Cocktails suggestion earlier on. At Steve's party on Saturday, we had our son Jamie and his friend dressed up in their dinner jackets and bow ties making cocktails for everyone. The two non-alcoholic ones were:

Cinderella

Orange and apple juices served over ice with a dash of grenadine and decorated with fruit

Tropical sunrise

100ml orange juice, 50ml pineapple juice, 75ml water, 25ml lime cordial, shaken vigorously with crushed ice and poured into a tall glass with a dash of grenadine

Peggy, if you do a search for non-alcoholic cocktails, you get loads!

I've been told that occasionally, some Grenadine has alcohol in it, so Peggy PLEASE CHECK THE LABEL :o

Although not teetotal, I drink so rarely that I may as well be. I quite like the Schloer (spl?) which they do in 'red' or 'white'. Not too sweet too which is a bonus!

All you need now is to find some chocolate-free chocolate and you'll be away! :o

Glad to hear you're well enough to contemplate a night out at the pub - is this before or after Saturday?

Maz

Friday night xD

Where my days are so 'relaxed' I'm finding it hard to sleep, so hopefully a night out and I'll sleep 'deep' and awake fully refreshed for my journey to London, for our table dancing date. :(

Peggy

I love Ame too, and really agree with the Cocktails suggestion earlier on. At Steve's party on Saturday, we had our son Jamie and his friend dressed up in their dinner jackets and bow ties making cocktails for everyone. The two non-alcoholic ones were:

Cinderella

Orange and apple juices served over ice with a dash of grenadine and decorated with fruit

Tropical sunrise

100ml orange juice, 50ml pineapple juice, 75ml water, 25ml lime cordial, shaken vigorously with crushed ice and poured into a tall glass with a dash of grenadine

Peggy, if you do a search for non-alcoholic cocktails, you get loads!

I've been told that occasionally, some Grenadine has alcohol in it, so Peggy PLEASE CHECK THE LABEL xD

Thanks loubylou, will definately try AME then.

Helen, I'm a bit behind with all posts, DID WE MISS STEVE'S 50th BIRTHDAY. :o

Peggy

Always check labels.. some 'non alcoholic' beers and drinks do actually have traces of alcohol.. may be minute but could cause problems... also home made ginger beer which sounds good is also a fermentation process so would be wary of any hidden alcohol content in it.

Non alcoholic cocktails are often the way to go .. when out I often have a St Clements... Orange juice and bitter lemon.... some pubs try to make it with lemonade but it really is too sweet then, I often ask for the two drinks in one glass... with ice

Also like ginger beer and pineapple juice... quantity of each to own taste really... if want to add a dash of grenadine.. checking it is the no alcoholic one.. if you can find it...

Think it is a better way to change your drinks completely,

Good luck

Inge