Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Social Networking And Its Implications

I

I wonder what the legal positon is with regard to people uploading other people's images onto these sites - especially if it should lead to someone being dismissed or disciplined by their employer?

Maz

If someone has consented to have their picture taken the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. If someone posts a picture of you that you object to, you can report it and have it removed.

Obviously worth checking after the Xmas party ? :o

i read in the paper last week about a case of 2 teachers who were discussing parents of facebook. The comments they were making were not particulary nice and if i remember rightly both teachers were dismissed from their posts.

I think they kept their jobs, but the child transferred to a different school.

My friends daughter and her friend has just been suspended because of photos a work colleague put on her F/B page, they weren't particularly offensive just young girls having fun and few drinks on a night out. It sounds like a parent came across them and wanted reassurance about their suitability. The owner of the nursery went online to view the pages and suspended them, but the girl who posted the pictures hasn't even been spoken to. It all seems a bit unfair, but I'm I being biased because I know the girl and it's not my business that might be affected?

Karrie

There have been a couple of cases of teachers loosing their jobs over comments made on the TES site. I think that all this would be covered by confidentiality, and also bringing an employer, which could be a setting, school etc., into disrepute. It seems to me that this is something that needs addressing within those issues. It is so easy to do and say things on the internet which you would think twice about saying in public where people are actually present.

Rule of thumb- would you have this conversation in the local pub.

Then there is the issue that a memeber of staff "cant come in today - I have a terrible migraine/feel awful/sickness and diahorrea etc etc", yet have spent half the day chatting to mates and posting things on FB!!!

Gosh I hadnt even thought of that on Big Brother is rerally the enemy now!

Hi there,

Yes, FB is a hot topic at my setting. Last year a new employee went on there and wrote rude things about the rest of the team, once she had handed in her notice. Not sure just how many parents saw her comments.

Then later in the year another employee wrote very rude things about the setting and the management. Unfortunately for her she was found out and a copy made of what she had said before she could delete it. She has now gone.

All staff have been reminded of their duties re confidentiality and not discrediting the setting and all have been informed that this is a disciplinary matter.

:o

You have to be really daft to stick stupid/ incriminating stuff on a social web site don't you??? I refuse to have a facebook site - if I want to contact someone i'll email/phone them and if i want to share photos I use a photo sharing site that is for just that and only for the people I want to see them. And even on here I'm very circumspect about what i give away.

Making it clear to staff that certain behaviours are not permitted in person and online is probably very sensible! However being held responsible for someone elses decision to put up pictures with you in them seems rather harsh.

Cx

A bit off topic - But once at school a few girls were having a conversation over the chat facility on our email system during an ICT lesson. All the chats are recorded, and scanned for bad language and also times if students are in years 7- 11.

One of the teachers noticed on their way around, and could see they weren't being particularly nice about one girl, so when they got back to their desks, the teacher switched the projector on, and set it to show one of their screens, showing everyone the conversation they were having! :o Presumably thinking this would put them off doing it again...

But no, nexts weeks lesson and they were at it again. This time, some girls from another class were in the chat. When the teacher of the girls in the other class found out, he started using one of the students computers to talk to the girls in the other class! Of course, his messages were coming up in their friends name, and they all thought she was trying to be funny! So they started to send messages of abuse to her! And then went on to bad-mouth the teacher they were in fact talking to! :(

They were suspended I think, and ever since then I've been SO paranoid about what I post and what I say!

:(xD

Hi all!

I hadnt really thought about any of this before and this site has really got me thinking!!

I actually had (I say had as it has been quiet of late and it hopefully stays that way) someone harassing me and they posted a comment on my bebo site 6 months ago! (Yeah I know "BEBO") I have left the comment on as it has been reported to the police and they have said that if this person harasses me again I will need to print it out!

Thankfully there is nothing too personal or any displays of lewd behaviour on my bebo and I am now private since this happened,so no-one can see me unless they are a friend. Have to say it does make me think what an employer or parent would think of me if they read the comment and didnt know the fully story.

I have a facebook too, but to be honest I dont really go on either much, but I did notice that on facebook, once some is your friend you can view what they have written on their friends walls, even though that person's wall they are posting on isnt my friend!! :o

I have face book, my daughter set it up for me so I could see what her her and her sister get up to at uni, well their photos anyway. :(

It's funny how lots of their friends have invited me to be their friends also.

But in the summer when my daughter was on holiday with a friend, her friends mum wrote something really not nice about me on her wall. Obviously she didn't realize others could also read it.

Luckily she wasn't a best friend, just a mum I knew :o

It's good to see my girls enjoying life though xD

jackie

We had a problem with an upper school work experience girl who had asked permission to photograph herself working with the children as 'evidence' for her child care portfolio. She then posted them on facebook with some very uneducated comments about a special needs child she'd taken a shine too. Luckily a T/A's daughter spotted them within hours and we will able to get them removed. We relooked at our photograph policy and ensure all students are given a copy. Not sure if it mentions social net working just the 'internet'.

I've only recently join facebook and find it confusing and realise there are people on there I don't really want to be 'friends' with. Its good to keep track of a new baby in the family who we will not see regularly as her mother is posting regular photo's (usually at 2am :o ) but really considering leaving it if thats possible.

This is just a thought, regarding facebook!

You can actually set your facebook to various different privacy settings. Including a custom setting. Which allows you to select certain people to exclude from seeing bits of your profile!

So say I work with My mum, Cait, Narnia & Nichola. I can set it so they can't see anything on my profile apart from my personal information!

So it's all well and good having your employees on facebook, but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to catch them out!

But in the summer when my daughter was on holiday with a friend, her friends mum wrote something really not nice about me on her wall. Obviously she didn't realize others could also read it.

How embarrassing for her! What happened - I hope she apologised abjectly!

I had an issue with a member of staff recently.I had a bit of a heated discussion about something i had seen and not liked in their room, next day several members of staff came to me telling me the whole conversation (which had been held con fidence) was on the persons wall. The staff member had named me and the nursery. I know we have parents who look at staff profiles on facebook and i wasnt comfortable with this. I reminded the staff member that the staff handbook (which is signed to say it has been read and understood) clearly states it is a disaplinary offence to discuss nursery buisness on the internet. I also reminded the staff member of our confidentiality policy too. I didnt take any action this time but said if it happened again i would.

Hi

Have followed this with interest as we have just had a big issue with facebook in our school. I have been put in charge of doing some staff training for children and parent on internet safety. So I thought I would share some links some people may find useful.

Think U Know website is: http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk

Another very useful website which has links to other sites and has quite thought provoking videos (mainly for use with older KS2 children or KS3 children) is http://www.childnet-int.org/kia/

The Kirklees Ednet site has a lot of information and links, including a link to download the powerpoint presentations: http://www.kirklees-ednet.org.uk/subjects/esafety/index.asp

Cbeebies also does a cartoon for children warning of the dangers of instant messages - sounds silly but many do access if they have older brothers or sisters and all done with fluffy bunny and a crocodile.

Also 10th Feb is safer internet day and if you register with think u know before then they will send you a load of stuff free suitable for assembly.

Jay

Hi everyone

this is all very interesting, we also have the same problem with the younger girls writing work related things on their staus.

Just wondering has anyone added this in to their policies yet? and if so could i please have a look.

Many thanks

Edited by Guest

Hi there

Facebook - do you really think that a hacker can not get into your website - I have heard cases whereby these hackers have downloaded some lovely pictures of children. - My children are banned from Beebo and facebook. - And that includes my husband!!!!

Yes this is possible.

There are fake sites, which contain viruses that save away your email address and password.

Usually these sites use your imformation to spam everyone else on your list. Haven't heard of them downloading your photos? But technically this is possible!

well it certainly looks like I have you all thinking on this one!!! The implications are enormous!

Funny how one innocent little question can set the world alight isn't it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)