Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders And Children's Centres

littleantics

Hi Harshy

I see from your Profile that you're a teacher - does this mean your CC offers childcare? I am interested in whether there is a conflict of interests when someone comes into the centre looking for information about local childcare provision - and how the centre supports people to make a decision that is in the best interests of that child and family.

I know from the responses on here to other questions that each Children's Centre seems to run differently so perhaps there is no clear cut answer to this kind of query, but I like to pose a challenge!

Maz

Interesting point Maz, your thinking on the same lines as I am in a way. Am very interested to see how often children are referred to childminders as opposed to centres offering them a place at their setting. What is actually weighed up by the people involved - who decides whats best for the child (apart from the parent that is). Are parents given research in relation to the fact that under 3's should either be at home or placed within a home from home environment (childminder). Or is it simply down to ... centres need the placements. How are parents informed of what is best for the child?

This is only research stuff - not wishing to target childminders or centres, just from a research perspective what outweighs centres decision to persualde parents to use a childminder rather than them?

I would be really grateful for any help...

Hi everyone, I am a network chidminder, in our network we have a childminders drop in where we can all meet up every 2 weeks with our minded children, we also can go on trips with the minded children in our care so they get various experiances,

I also do some discretionary work for surestart which means that i take children into my practice for a short while giving the families support etc . These are normaly short term placesments and i invoice surestart after the care has finished for payment. The only thing is u have to wait about a month for payment but at least you know your defo gonna get your money.

hope this help x carol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a registered childminder and am lucky in the fact that my local schools only offer after schoolclubs for an hour each night so have still managed to keep my school aged children as parents need me after 4:00. The breakfast club had limited numbers too (although I don't have any before school anyway!).

I know of other childmiders in other parts of my town who have afterschool clubs at child centres or schools that are charging ALOT less for the session and so have found themselves out of pocket!!

The thing that I am having trouble with is once a child is entitled to their free 15 hours educational sessions the parents are using these and cutting down my hours. I had one just before christmas leave me totally after having them for 2 years as they only did 20 hours with me and at the nursery they attend can do a morning/lunch andafternoon session and gets Nan to have child for few hours afterwards. I can not belong to a network and become accredited even if I wanted to as I am in the wrong catchment area and Mum was really upset when she told me and said if I could except the vouchers then she wouldn't be doing the move!!

The thing that worries me especially with alot of people feeling the pinch at the moment is what will happen if they do end up giving all 2 year olds free sessions too like they are piloting in some places!! Will childminders be left only looking after under 2's!!

I know its the parents choice at the end of the day but money unfortunatly does come into it!!

Hi

Sadly yes, and with parents having extended maternity leave up to 1 year - the gap means you will have the child for only 1 year!!!

My argument about the nursery grant is that with the EYFS are childminders not already undertaking what everyone else is doing? - so why do they have to go down the accredited route if now by law they are having to dance to the same tune of nursery, pre-schools, day care etc., :oxD ?

Any one know?

As a CC Manager with a full day care nursery and childminders attending the centre for network sessions - yes of course there can be a conflict. However, as a professional I do get to know what prospective parents are looking for. Some parents want the comfort of a home environment with a one to one older type figure - let's face it there are not many childminders who are 19 years old. Whereas others want a nursery - it all depends on the parent and I beleive I can find out what parents really want for their child. There is no point in taking in a child at the CC nursery when really they want the home from home comforts of a childminder as they would never be happy. I would also give them advice on what to look for with a childminder. As an ex working mum with young children - I used a childminder, an aupair and a sessional palygroup - whether that was right or not I do not know - but it was what I wanted at the time and that is all that matters - my childminder was great as was the playgroup and my aupair filled in when the childminder couldn't. I think good childminders need to be praised, nurtured and looked after and promoted. I beleive there should be enough childcare provision to go around and I also believe that parents shoudl be given a choice based on quality and preference. We are not all the same and we should respect parents in their choice. I certainly promote the choice and options available to all parents looking for childcare - children are too precious....

Nikki

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I am also new to the site and just thought I would say hi. I have just started working at a childrens centre as the teacher and the work load seems to be HUGE!!! Would really love some advise as to where to start.

Over the past few weeks I have been getting to know the staff and children from the nursery. We have done lots already but I now need to venture out of the sanctity of the nursery and work with the rest of the centre. I have been to a meeting with parents and am going to be a regular fixture at the action group meetings. I have also spoken to the playlink staff about linking to EYFS but now I am a little stuck!!!!The manager is also talking about introducing me to childminders etc......

Please help - any advise on how you handle this all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

A

Hi planetamber, welcome on board here.

I remember feeling exactly as you do when i first started in a CC (not there any more mind you), I had been in school for many years and the culture shock was immense. I spent quite a lot of time in the nursery but it wasnt long before I was supporting stay and play, working with the play workers, and the family support worker too, and the job expanded rather rapidly. I found that having my own action plan really helped me to focus on what I could do when, there was so much to do, I had to learn to prioritise. I even had to learn to sometimes say 'no' (very hard that is!).

Im sure other CC teachers will be along with their experiences too.

Hi

Its great if you are going to be working with childminders within the centre. Ask if your centre can let you have a copy of the Centre Guidance, which underlines how centres must work to represent and facilitate childminders.

Its really interesting, on here we have had some really positive feedback from centre co-ordinators. I think the more childminders who continue to undertake a qualification will raise the bar.

I certainly know from first hand experience that centres who have babies from 0-2 certainly do not advertise the services of childminders as its conflict of interst and they are not obligated to do so dependent on the question from a parent who rings in. If they do not ask about the service of a childminder - the info will not freely be given.

Anyone else experienced this?

Little antics, we used to have a leaflet explaining the options available to parents when they came to us asking about child care. This included childminders. We were always full ourselves and therefore could not promote our own nursery above anyone else's. In fact the opposite was true, we had parents who just went our waiting list and we knew they would never get a place with us, we tried to actively promote other settings and childminders in the area. Perhaps we were lucky in that more provision was desperately needed in our area so all practitioners were full most of the time and we still had people waiting.

I always felt that if a parent asked me, it wasn't my place to say you need this nursery or that childminder, or that setting, it was up to me to let them know their options, and let them decide for themselves. However more often than not it came down to who had a palce rather than which place suited them better.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am an accrediated childminder and live very close to A Childrens centre another member within our network asked if they would share the nursery funded place for one of her cared children with herself and they said no they would only offer the child a full time place which i thought was not very good as we are meant to work together offering continuity of care for the child. I have never also been offered any training within the childrens centre either.

Hello Stimmo.

I didnt think the Children's Centre were allowed to refuse to share the funded sessions, as I thought the parent had the right to choose where they wanted their child to attend. As far as I know in my area a child can attend up to two settings.

Hi again I spoke to the childminder again ans she said our co-ordinator even tried but they still wouldnt share the childcare the good thing was that the parent stayed with the childminder, I have just arranged with a nursery about a mile from my self to work together with a child I care for and there were no problems so not quite sure what the problem was. but did pass your info on thanx :o

Guest Wolfie
Hello Stimmo.

I didnt think the Children's Centre were allowed to refuse to share the funded sessions, as I thought the parent had the right to choose where they wanted their child to attend. As far as I know in my area a child can attend up to two settings.

I agree - it should be a matter of parental choice, I didn't think any setting could refuse. When I attended a briefing about the 15 hour entitlement recently, we were told that when that comes in, even maintained settings have to share the funding if a parent so wishes - at the moment they attract the full funding even if a child only attends part time and also attends another setting.

On another forum, childminders were able to get photocopying at childrens centres free of charge. I thought this was a fantatsic idea as childminders need copies of observation, planning, next steps sheets to meet with the eyfs. They dont do it at my local childrens centre, but it would lovley if they all did it!

• 1 month later...
Could anyone Managing a children's centre please help me.

I am trying to find out how centres can work alongside childminders with regards to sustainability.

Or in any capacity really - how do you provide parents with information about your local childminders etc.,

What facilities do you provide for childminders -

Indeed any dealings you have with childminders would be helpful.

Thank you

Hi, I am CC teacher. We have a PM network meeting for childminders once a term where we have a relevant speaker for part and chat about anything the second hour-e.g. SEF's and Ofsted!

We also set up/support/help to run a weekly Childminders group which they are starting to plan for and use learning journeys at. We work alongside the local NCMA Officer to organise compulsory training or put on LEA type training evenings geared at C Minders. We have a C Minders notice board at the CC but officially cannot recommend childminders to parents as we cannot guarantee that they are up-to -date registered C Minders. I believe I am right in saying that nannys can be Ofsted registered and then can join the NCMA and have access to LEA training too.

I agree - it should be a matter of parental choice, I didn't think any setting could refuse. When I attended a briefing about the 15 hour entitlement recently, we were told that when that comes in, even maintained settings have to share the funding if a parent so wishes - at the moment they attract the full funding even if a child only attends part time and also attends another setting.

That's interesting Wolfie, I hadn't considered this before we got our letter informing us that our entitlement increases to 15 hours as from September - but your post has got me thinking - if a child goes to the nursery school for 5 mornings a week (2.5hrs) and is coming to us in the afternoon, we'll be able to claim the additional 2.5hrs - that's brilliant!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)