Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders And Children's Centres

littleantics

Could anyone Managing a children's centre please help me.

I am trying to find out how centres can work alongside childminders with regards to sustainability.

Or in any capacity really - how do you provide parents with information about your local childminders etc.,

What facilities do you provide for childminders -

Indeed any dealings you have with childminders would be helpful.

Thank you

I am a childminder, and I attend a childminder drop-in at my local children's Centre.

I have also been invited to the play and stay sessions.

I've heard that some children's centres employ childminders to care for the very youngest children in home based settings because of the belief that under 2's benefit less from being in daycare than over 2's. I think this is a fantastic idea, you would hope that there would be sessions put on at the children centre for the childminder to attend with the babies and the transition to care in the setting would be very well supported over a sustained period of time. i will try to find where I read it and put a link up

I work at 2 centres as a CC teacher and there are different services offered at each.

One centre runs a stay and play session specifically for childminders to attend witht heir children - the centre provides staff and resources to facilitate the session - Childminders can input and contribute towards the planning of the next session based on the children's needs and also so that they have the opportunity to try out new activities and resources. it goes pretty well but does vary in attendance levels from week to week.

We also invite Childminders to events taking place in the centre that are offered to our parents and staff training sessions if appropriate.

At both centres there is the opportunity to use the rooms for training sessions.

I would advise talking to the childminders in your area - find out what they want and when. They may already attend something on the day you are planning to do a session so you need to find out what else is on in the area and if there is a real need for a group - or it won't be sustainable.

I am going to get the childminders to do a sheet advertising themselves on A4 and then put these into a display folder available in the centre so that we can give it to parents to look at and keep up to date easily. We would hold contact details and then ring childminders on behalf of the parents initially.

You can PM me if you want more info.

Hi everyone

thanks for your comments so far, some good ideas.

I am interested to explore the item on childminders being employed by their centre to look after children. Confused at this one? How does this work? Usually Childminders are employed in their own right and then advertise for business and work in their own homes. I have never heard of a childminder being employed by a centre? - Or did you mean the centre puts them in contact with parents who need a childminder? Really interested in this...

Also great to hear about centres working with childminders and how it can be done. Although we have a good centre, no one has suggested that we be involved in the planning for our children. What a brilliant idea, which means we can undertake obs on our children based around their needs.

Any more input would be gratefully received.

Hi everyone

thanks for your comments so far, some good ideas.

I am interested to explore the item on childminders being employed by their centre to look after children. Confused at this one? How does this work? Usually Childminders are employed in their own right and then advertise for business and work in their own homes. I have never heard of a childminder being employed by a centre? - Or did you mean the centre puts them in contact with parents who need a childminder? Really interested in this...

Also great to hear about centres working with childminders and how it can be done. Although we have a good centre, no one has suggested that we be involved in the planning for our children. What a brilliant idea, which means we can undertake obs on our children based around their needs.

Any more input would be gratefully received.

I did try to find the link but couldn't - will keep trying. It was somewhere like Nottingham or Northamptonshire I think. Basically childminders with eyps were salaried through the children's centres. So I assume they were still self employed aswell!?! will keep trying to find more info because it was really interesting.

Hi Surfer

I know this sounds odd - but what do you mean by the abbreviaton PM (me?) Is that some form of inter terrestrial contact method??? - you can tell I am not used to the jargon.

She means send her a Personal/Private Message! That one took me a while when I first started too! :o

She means send her a Personal/Private Message! That one took me a while when I first started too! :o

You can send a PM to any member by going to 'My controls' (top blue bar, second from left, next to my blog), select this then select 'compose new message' a message box will appear plus a title bar and a bar to put recipients name in, Once completed select send message.

Why not have a go and send me a PM.

Peggy

Thank you all who told me about PM - you can tell that I must be getting old and not used to email jargon!!!

So thanks - and yes I would love to send PM's to you in relation to the topic - will also tell you a little bit about what I am doing as well. So thanks for the offer - and thanks for the links on how to do.

Everyone is so helful here.

Hi I work at a Children`s Centre running a drop-in for network childminders. That means that childminders belonging to the network have completed an NCMA quality assured programme which gives them a quality assurance kit mark this basically raises their level from just being a childminder like all other Ofsted registered childminders. They meet together once a week with their minded children and support is given to them from a Network Co-ordinator around all issues connected to childminding. Part of the core offer is that children`s centres offer a base for childminders as part of the governments 10 year stragegy is "choice for parents" . Some children`s centres employ childminders on a casual basis say for instance if the centres are running courses and need some sessional care, childminders are then paid hourly.

Hi thanks

You say that Childminders are supported within the centre by Network co-ordinator. But what other support do you think a centre can offer/provide childminders for example, filling vacancies/wrap around care - training - aiding them in their work with other professionals?

Hi thanks

You say that Childminders are supported within the centre by Network co-ordinator. But what other support do you think a centre can offer/provide childminders for example, filling vacancies/wrap around care - training - aiding them in their work with other professionals?

Children centres can include childminders within their training sessions. They can also work along side children centres to provide care for children when children centres are full etc. As a member of a network the vacancies can be distributed through a vacancy co-ordindator who is a network member and takes this role on.

Hello, I am a Network Childminder and have attended the Play and Stay today at the local Children's Centre. We have had a great time with flour and rice.

Anyway, although we can attend training at the Children's Centre, it is only offered during the day when we are actually childminding! This seems to be the case with alot of the training which is offered through our local Children's Information Centre too.

My Network Co-ordinator is working on this, however, so hopefully we will be able to access more training.

Anyway, although we can attend training at the Children's Centre, it is only offered during the day when we are actually childminding!

I think early years settings are arguably the most inclusive places to work - yet even we sometimes get it wrong don't we? Hope you can get this sorted so that you can access the training you want/need!

Maz

This has been mentioned in the past, but I personally would not wish to leave the children in a creche.

I would prefer evening training, after 7.30pm.

I do lots of training anyway, but sometimes there are courses that I would particularly like to do, and can't due to the timing.

Oh you bring up an interesting point, do they not provide childminders with an in-house Creche? - If not what are the implications?

Hi,

We offer an in-house creche for our childminders - when I put pressure on my manager!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds intreresting - what training do you put on for childminders and do childminders have to get permission from parents? - would love to hear more

Yes childminders do get permission from parents. As the training they receive enhances the care the childminders offer the children the parents, up to now, have not created any fuss. I am trying at the moment for them to access eyfs training (in house) along side the nursery staff (with orwithout a creche).We will have to wait and see what happens.

I am trying at the moment for them to access eyfs training (in house) along side the nursery staff (with orwithout a creche).We will have to wait and see what happens.

What an excellent idea - I think we have so much to learn from each other and doing training together will help each party to understand each other's practice a bit better and understand what different (and similar) pressures each is under.

Childminders in our Borough have the opportunity to attend the same training as group providers (courses are on offer in a variety of venues across the Borough, at different times of the day and days of the week to try to ensure as wide an audience as possible).

This has been very positive from my point of view, even if chucklingteresa can be a bit raucous at times... xD:o

What do the childminders themselves think about this initiative?

Maz

Guest cathy m
Hi I work at a Children`s Centre running a drop-in for network childminders. That means that childminders belonging to the network have completed an NCMA quality assured programme which gives them a quality assurance kit mark this basically raises their level from just being a childminder like all other Ofsted registered childminders. They meet together once a week with their minded children and support is given to them from a Network Co-ordinator around all issues connected to childminding. Part of the core offer is that children`s centres offer a base for childminders as part of the governments 10 year stragegy is "choice for parents" . Some children`s centres employ childminders on a casual basis say for instance if the centres are running courses and need some sessional care, childminders are then paid hourly.

Having just noticed this thread, I am concerned by the message you may have given out to people reading posts about registered Childminders. The impression you have given is that network childminders are superior to the vast majority of childminders who do not belong to a network.

"just being a childminder like all other ofsted registered childminders"

This is not the case, not all childminders can be or choose to be on a network, however the skills, knowledge and experience that many of us have results in a high quality service. There are increasing numbers of childminders who are qualified to levels 3, 4, 5 and beyond who do not belong to a network.

I was on an NCMA network but my knowledge and skills were already of a high level (recognised as 'outstanding' by Ofsted) and I was frustrated by the lack of additional knowledge which I had hoped to gain from being part of a network. I certainly would never view myself as being of a raised level compared to non network childminders. I believe in sharing my good practice, skills and knowledge with all chidminders whether they belong to a network or not

Cathy

I totally agree cathy. I am part of a network but I know extremely good childminders who aren't and some who are on the network I wouldn't send my own children to. It's all about individuals.

I'm a (reluctant!) Network childminder.

When I first signed up to join it, there were advantages such as the toy library. Now these facilities are available through Children's Centres it's not such a benefit.

The 4 evening meetings and 1 unannounced visit each year don't really float my boat either and as DCN says, I too know of Network childminders that I wouldn't use for childcare or recommend to others.

Ofsted gradings and Network QA schemes are great in principle but I still believe the system can be (& is) worked, when those standards aren't evidenced in every day practise. :o

Nona

Ofsted gradings and Network QA schemes are great in principle but I still believe the system can be (& is) worked, when those standards aren't evidenced in every day practise. :o

'twas ever thus, nona and I guess it relates to all kinds of childcare settings and certainly not solely to childminders. I'm not sure there's an answer to it though - just inherent in the system but most unfair, as you say.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Thanks to all who replied to me

I think its fascinating how children's centres and childminders are working together. In so much that both are trying to get the same business, before, After school care. I do appreciate that it does give parents a choice. But I wonder how childminders feel when the government promote children's centres as providing wrap around care as if the provision never existed - yet childminders have always provided this.

What do others think about how children's centres may have effected sustainability for childminders -

Are Children's centres working effectively to sustain their business?

A very relevant point!

Luckily my childminding has been unaffected.

My parents chose a home from home, with one to one care when Mum (&/or Dad) can't be there. Grandparents often refer to me as second mum! Each of the children receives the love and care I'd want for my daughter.

Interestingly, ALL my parents work in Early Years and preferred using a childminder to other options.

When wraparound was first talked about none of them felt it was right for them or their families, although they appreciated that there was a need for it in some cases.

Nona

Hi Nona

Thanks for that. What do Managers of Children's Centres think about the situation? - Are they aware that Childminders already provide this provision? If so how does this effect their work with promoting childminders to undertake this work, as opposed to promoting their own services for wrap around care?

Really interested in finding out how the 2 providers can work together and what happens if their is a conflict of interest?

Hi,

I've been managing a centre now for 6 months and the child minders attend regual meetings and also the stay and play's.

The child minders also are part of the link referal scheme and parents are refered to them for support with child care.

hope this helps.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)