Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Decorations - Down

Can people tell me when exactly is the correct time to take down christmas decorations. Lots of my friends have done it already but I thought it was the 12th night and if so is that on the 5th?

Thanks

Can people tell me when exactly is the correct time to take down christmas decorations. Lots of my friends have done it already but I thought it was the 12th night and if so is that on the 5th?

Thanks

[/quotAs long as it's before 12th night its ok, otherwise its bad luck (apparently). dont know whether firstv day of christmas is xmas eve or xmas day - sorry !!!

Better take it down before 5th just to be sure!!!! :o

There are 12 days of Christmas and 12th night is on the 6th. This is the feast of the Epiphany when the Wise men gave their presents. In some traditions Christmas gifts are given then, in others they are given on St. Nicholas day which is the 6th of December. Decorations are traditionally taken down before dusk on the 6th of January in UK. Custom has it that there were 3 kings,wise men or Magi, but this story is only told in Matthew's Gospel and the number of kings was never mentioned, or any names. These were added in Medieval times. In Eastern tradition there were 12 Magi. The idea that there were 3 men is because in Matthew it says that the Magi gave gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh, so as 3 items were mentioned it become 3 Kings/Magi. These gifts are also symbolic in the story of the death and resurrection of Christ.

evening all!!

I must agree that is a lovely photo!

Is it bad that I took my decorations down today (Saturday). Am working over next 3 days and took the opportunity to do it while hubby took son to visit his parents. I was going to let him help me, but it took him 5 minutes just to get 1 bauble off the tree :o

And before you all say that I'm mean not letting my son help, its was hubby's idea to take him visiting, I'm guessing it was because he didnt wanna get roped into helping, probaby because it takes hubby 10 minutes to get a bauble off the tree!!

we have new carpet in the sitting room and our tree was walking about. Kept threatening me on the sofa so I took it down. I'd put it on a rug, you see, so its feet didn't spoil the carpet, and whenever anyone stepped on the rug it move towards the sofa

Is it bad that I took my decorations down today (Saturday). Am working over next 3 days and took the opportunity to do it while hubby took son to visit his parents. I was going to let him help me, but it took him 5 minutes just to get 1 bauble off the tree :o

If you are concerned then be reassured that you are OK, as they were down before dusk on the 6th.

Glad you liked the piccie everyone. I was amazed that it came out so well in the dark! Wonderful things these digital cameras.