Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Dinner..

MrsWeasley

What do you have?!

This year I'm going to France over Christmas, and I was talking to my boyfriends parents about it and I found out we're having oysters for Christmas dinner! :o

So this got me thinking, will anybody else having anything slightly less traditional?

Mrs Weasley xD

We've been in portugal for Christmas the last 4 years where its traditional to have cod with veg and boil potatoes :( (but they have it on Christmas Eve night.) We opted for chinese banquet in the restaurant over the road from the hotel :o At the moment we have no cooker and haven't had for 2 weeks xD so it may be chinese this year too!!

You should try the frogs legs when you are there!!!

I have had them and thoroughly enjoyed them. They were fried off with a bit of lemon and some seasoning! Tastes like chicken and they wouldnt be a tender as chicken.

I shared a portion with hubby years ago, as neither of us had tried them and we were young and just married and couldnt afford to pay for 2 starters!! We ended fighting as he said I had more than he did . . . . . I didn't!!!!!

I wouldnt recommend the snails though, it was like eating 2 big lumps of gristle covered in garlic sauce!

We're vegetarians and the children normally decide what to have out of their favourites. I think it will be Spinach Cannelloni again this year - it's one that often gets voted! xD Which reminds me of when we were in Tesco's last week shopping. My youngest spotted the sprouts and begged for us to get some. We got some very funny looks from all the other shoppers around us. :o

I love sprouts. My eldest is a nearly-christmas baby and I was therefore in hospital when she was born. I was distraught that I had no sprouts and no sausages wrapped in bacon, another of my favourites! We did have crackers tho, but no-one dared to pull them LOL!

We're carnivores in our family and will be having turkey, ham and roast beef, which is a tradition in my hubby's family.

When I first came to this country and joined hubby's family for the first Christmas 'overseas' I was given very strange looks when I asked for mushy peas and white parsley sauce instead of gravy. It has since, I might add, become a tradition which has even been exported to Spain where hubby's sister lives.

I always make my own Christmas pudding to a recipe handed down from my grandmother. I have very fond memories of a huge pudding steaming for hours on the Range and my dad having to get up during the night to top it up with water. I don't expect he had very good memories of that though!! :o It's a pudding filled with dried fruit, guinness and several spoonfuls of Irish whiskey.........the more the merrier!! (literally :( ) xD:(

Well 'call me old fashioned'! We have the traditional Xmas meal and we all love turkey with all the bits and pieces. Who said it is dry? I never find it so. I cook it ' a la Delia', but I got there first or should I say my Mum did? It is moist and delicious. It does need lots of butter under the skin. I make a pudding using Guinness and Rum and Calvados. I make it in October and steam for 8 hours. To reheat it takes 2 hours. We flame it with rum. My Xmas cake has been fed with rum or brandy for the last 5 weeks, and when my grandchildren come on Tuesday we will be icing it and putting snowmen and trees on the top. I make my own mincemeat (really easy) and tomorrow I'm making and freezing mince pies, ready to take out and bake. I bought the Magnum of Champagne in the summer when I was in France. My Mum's family made Champagne so we can't do without it at Xmas. I cook the ham a couple of days before when we eat some hot, then use the rest for butties etc. over Xmas. Boxing day we have a re-run padding out the turkey with the ham. We have a cheese Fondue Xmas Eve. It sounds really decadent written down but with 12 people for three days it works out OK cost wise.

My ex-sister in law is a vegetarian and I used to make her a cashew nut roast from Sarah Greenes book. It was delicious.

Mind you Mrs. Weasley is having oysters to whet her appetite. Wonderful! What could be better?

I'm with Dublinbay on this one. Having the traditional turkey and ham with all the trimmings.

We also make a meatloaf stuffing, sausage meat and fresh breadcrumbs and herbs wrapped in bacon and have been known to complain if some gets a piece that is bigger. Mum will be making her usual honey roast parsnips with sesame seeds, if she can remember how to make it. She has been making these for about 15 years now and like the meatloaf stuffing we end up fighting over the who got the most and also over any that are left!!

I make my family sound like a right bunch of rough-uns, but were not really :o

Then is something chocolate for dessert, none of us like christmas pudding apart from dad, and hes insulin dependent now so he's not allowed any dessert full stop.

Guess that means there's more for me!!!! Yay xD

im coming to you jacqui xD:(:(:(

Looking forward to seeing you Hali :o At least this year we will be eating inside the house. Last year we erected a 'tent' in the garden to fit everyone in, and borrowed lots of heaters to keep us all warm! Luckily it wasn't frosty, but this year could be different, however we are eating inside, having solved the sleeping problem for the oldies who can't climb the stairs. Last year they used the dining room as a bedroom. This year it's the study and the fitter chaps are sleeping in a room in the pub next door! Still fancy coming? Nice pub!

***** WE NOW HAVE A COOKER****!!!!

After 2 weeks waiting for store to deliver and hardwire the new oven (delivery and installation included in price!!) to be told the gas pipe for the hob was in the wrong place so it couldn't be fit xD until a plumber has moved the pipe, one week waiting for the plumber :wacko: , ring to rearrange fitting to be told next appointment is 27th December :o , ring private electrician, buy own connection cable. So 'free fitting' has cost 4 weeks wait and £58 :(:(:(

We are so dizzy with excitement at being able to have full meals I'm not sure what we will go for Christmas dinner.