Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We're Going On A Bear Hunt!

Hi everyone!

Im a reception teacher, i've been a member of the forum for a while now and LOVE the site, but never posted anything on here before so hope i'm doing it right!

I'm just looking for ideas off anyone who can help........the dreaded Ofsted is looming at our school and Im trying to get more or less sorted so im not in complete panic mode when we get 'the call'!

The children in my class LOVE the story 'We're going on a bear hunt' so i thought this would be a good focus.

Does anyone have any ideas for activities I could set up relating to the book?? Any ideas for a carpet session? or anything you've tried which i could have a go at??

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks alot xxx

Hi Katie24, have you got access to an outdoor area? You could fill your tuffspots with snow, mud, water, make a cave, a home (and somewhere along the line think of how to do long swishy grass!). The children could draw maps of where they've been where they need to go next, write their version of the story.

Good luck with Ofsted.

We often act it out, indoors as well as outdoors.

Always do very 'wide' actions to it and over-emphasis on repetitions so everyone joins in.

You could have trays of mud and water etc. perhaps and children use a playmobil man so squelch through? On second thoughts - could be a bit messy if 'they' are in - you'd need to do that first in advance of the visit to see what works!

PS - love your avatar!

Hi

If you search u-tube for Michael Rosen there is a brilliant video of him telling the story. It is literally just him telling the story, no props and no fancy background but it is so effective. He is very expressive! I showed my class and they absolutely loved it and are always asking if they can see it again.

We also re-enacted the story in our PE lessons where the children had lots of space to do the big actions.

We attempted to make the different parts of the story in a large shallow tray. We used shaving foam for the snow and we cut out a square of turf for the grass. It didn't look good for long but the children loved making the people walk through the different materials!

Hope this helps.

Flutterby

Hi Katie

Welcome from me too.

We made a small world scene with the children. I have added some photos for you. We had a Sylvanian family bear and used the doll's house people.

Linda

post-99-1228688309_thumb.jpg

post-99-1228688335_thumb.jpg

post-99-1228688372_thumb.jpg

bear hunt on U tube

Rather than get the children to watch it why not do the same.. I have done this for many years.. (in fact from when the story was first published), showing my years here"!), in much the same way as the clip of Michael Rosen.. we were taught by our local library how to use the text and have been story telling from it ever since.. we get the children to add own ideas on what to go through and they give the sound effect to go with it.. can make lots of fun.. then texture walk barefoot through the items.. act out the story as you tell it.. children act it out for everyone to watch.. (with little or no help)

I have had to tailor it to the children as some years they find it a bit too 'real' !

They often add to the story as we go along.. who has the key to the door, what happens now, etc..

Cam follow up with the story a bear in a cave by Michael Rosen which is the sequel to the book, just remember to use the correct inflection when reading this one or it does not make much sense.

Inge

Welcome to the Forum, Katie!

Love the Avatar too - although it does remind me of the little duck in Madagascar which met with an unhappy end... :o Yours should be safe here though... xD

Maz

Hi Katie

Welcome from me too.

We made a small world scene with the children. I have added some photos for you. We had a Sylvanian family bear and used the doll's house people.

Linda

Linda, your small world scene looks fantastic! I bet the children loved it, mrsW

Thanks mrsW-they certainly did. And the vast majority of it was their ideas. The only difficulty we had was them thinking of what we could use for the snow storm. I suggested we could hang something from the ceiling and they suggested string. I just thought that white wool would be better and they agreed.

Linda

I just thought that white wool would be better and they agreed.

Always a good idea to agree with Great Aunt Linda! :o

What a fabulous idea Linda - how long did it remain intact for?

Maz

WOW! So many things to try out! Thank you so much for all these wonderful ideas and photos! Bring on the Ofsted!! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again everyone :o xox xD

posted before but no harm adding again-text and font matches book. Have used for small world and outdoor play with a trail leading to a dark cave made from the climbing frame

hi

i love this story we had access to our outdoor area and recreated the story. we linked to our topic journey and so decided that to go on a bear hunt we wrote a shopping list of what we needed ie food nets maps, we went to the supermarket and bought the supplies then each child made sandwiches we made maps based on the story then we went on a hunt around school to find the bear.

We also did hotseating why did the bear follow us was he kind or angry.

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)