Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are You Doing For Christmas?

catma

I've given in to christmas early this year as I'm leaving the country in 18 days time for a christmas in central america so I'm not putting any decorations up as it seems daft. I can't wait for my holiday though! I worked all through half term so it really feels like ages since I stopped and drew breath.

So i've updated my avatar to it's christmas version - hopefully we'll see them all appearing soon....................And then the christmas banner will come out!!!! (steve???)

Cx

Finish work on 18th and then on packed BA flight back home. Quick visit to friends and family and then back on plane on 24th. Husband has to stay for work, so just the two of us for Christmas dinner. Hopefully New Year parties to go to with class parents and friends (families who also have to work over Christmas holidays). It will be different but looking forward to it. Just glad to get away for a week, as we live in a flat above school, so can seem like I never get away from work. Envious of those of you who are jetting off to some idyllic paradise or have family round for the day.

Merry Christmas everyone!

This will be the first year we have not been to Portugal :o and I have no oven xD .It's broken and can't get a new one fitted until 13th so fingers crossed that goes without a hitch. We usually have a Chinese banquet for Christmas Dinner after a long walk on the beach, a massage in the spa, sauna and swim-do I sound like I wish we were going..... :(:(:(

This was last Christmas day-my girls

we are all feeling so DOWN and for us its not at all Christmassy

Edited by Guest

Well I plan to have a quiet Christmas recovering.... having my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed on the 22nd December- just as we break up from school. Consultant says it will take up to a week to feel better, so hopefully all healed for the New Year.

Well the lights have started going up on our neighbouring houses, we have one of those 'whole streets' that 'light up' each year. :( It is lovely but hubby hates ladders and dreads it when it's time to put the lights up on the roof. Trouble is if we don't we would be the only 'dark' house in the street. I always worry if we are out and don't get home before dark then we are blatently showing burglers we are not in. (mayb need to invest in some timer switches or something :( )

We don't tend to start Christmas preparations until after Hubbys birthday on the 11th. We look forward to our second Christmas with our new family, (4 foster children for those who don't know). Our youngest aged 6 thinks it's Christmas NOW, and won't be persauded otherwise, her rationalle is that there are lights on he houses, a large blown up Santa in our local pubs garden, advent calenders with Christmas pictures so according to her it MUST be Christmas all month.

Mind you, I did enjoy some Mulled wine and stones green ginger wine (not together) last night, so the festive 'spirit' is creeping in. xD

Waffled on there a bit, back to original question, Christmas Day, family fun, Boxing Day, extended family tradition all play charades, hubby does all the cooking (as usual) I keep th children entertained. :o

Peggy

I love christmas we dont have any desorations up yet, quite traditional 12 days before

Will be spending my christmas day with the children and my sister and her children plus my great niece and nephew so a house full.

Samantha is already asking for father christmas to bring presents and singing "we wish you a merry christmas"

An old friend always comes on boxing day with her children and now her grandchildren,

Its Tyrell's first christmas too and looking forward to a memorable time for us all

jojom x

This will be our first Christmas since my husband lost his job (due to redundancy) as a manager of a community home for people with learning disabilities.

Yay for no on calls!!!!

Double yay for no worries re staff ringing in sick for Christmas and leaving my hubby to cover it himself!!

and leaving his family without him!!

As a double celebration of this carefree life now (!!!!) we are off to New York for new year!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will be our first Christmas since my husband lost his job (due to redundancy) as a manager of a community home for people with learning disabilities.

Yay for no on calls!!!!

Double yay for no worries re staff ringing in sick for Christmas and leaving my hubby to cover it himself!!

and leaving his family without him!!

As a double celebration of this carefree life now (!!!!) we are off to New York for new year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a different time for you Scarlettangel. Hope you are able to truly relax and enjoy the first of many peaceful Christmas'.

My husband is a vicar and so Christmas is always very busy, extra services over the next few weeks plus end of term concerts. Then very busy Christmas eve with a children's service and midnight mass which I don't go to as our children will hopefully be fast asleep. Christmas day there is just one service and then home to dinner with our 2 girls (aged 10 &8) my stepson and his girlfriend and then 6 month old baby whihc should be great fun. Then after dinner we visit the local ambulance stations and deliver chocolates etc as Husband is Senior chaplain to 3 local ambulance stations involving a 3o mile drive. Was worried the first year we did this about girls wanting to play at home but it's now part of our Christmas and the girls look forward to seeing everyone and of course get spoilt by the ambulance crews who really appreciate the fact we visit and care. We have only been married 4 yrs and the girls real father is very ill although they do still see him once a week so it gives them a distraction from him by visiting the ambulance crews. Although I do look forward to a glass of wine when we get home!!

Happy Christmas everyone and enjoy whatever you do and wherever you are

Nicky Sussex xD:(:o

Edited by Guest

We break up on the 12th December and dont't go back till the 12th January. All this time will probably be spent studying but with a little break for Christmas week.

Having it here with hubby, his mum and our 2 girls. Boxing day is usually a long walk in the country somewhere and ending up in a nice pub for lunch with in-laws.

So a relaxed and uneventful Christmas is planned.....but you never know!!!!! :o

I have previously mentioned that this will be our first Christmas in too many years to count, that we won't be worrying when the phone rings, that my husband is off into work.......

But on the actual day itself we will, as we have done now for many years (with or without the husband) visit my children's Grandmothers graves and take a wreath.

My Mum only died 8 years ago and the children were only 8 and 11 at the time....... the visit to Mum before anything else on Christmas just became part of what we do.

Then its off to my Dads.

Home for lunch and more present opening.

In the afternoon we will go back to my Dads as he would be alone otherwise (and won't come to ours for lunch)

This year my son asked if his other Grandad could come for lunch and so we got our request in early and he is having lunch with us.

In the evening (hopefully AFTER Dr Who!!!!!) we are off to my brother in laws.......... to eat some more!!!!!!!!

My daughter who has been away at uni, back home, off to share a house will aslo be home for Christmas and so I am hopeful of peace (!!!!!!) and happiness!!!

Of course amidst this I have my degree work to do, but not on Christmas day.......... ho ho ho!!

:o

Last year we were in Egypt for Christmas which was something completely different that we all enjoyed. But this year it's back to normal..relatives staying for Christmas, long walk on Christmas Day followed by an evening Christmas dinner and lots of games and then...of course...footy on Boxing Day! :o

Happy Christmas everyone and enjoy whatever you do and wherever you are

Nicky Sussex xD:(:o

Nicky your post has given me a warm glow inside. That's what Christmas is all about really - spreading the love. Hope you and your girls enjoy a lovely Christmas.

Maz

Will be a difficult one this year, as dad died in June, so I am having everyone to me. Got to keep mum's spirits up.

My sister, husband and 2 girls arrive at MIDNIGHT xD on christmas eve. (I've told her she can let herself in with Santa - and i'm definately not feeding her then)

Christmas morning, we may go for a run before breakfast. Then breakfast - bucks fizz and crumpets in the hot tub. :wacko:

Get dinner on to cook.

Rest of family arrive - 13 of us for dinner :o

Dinner followed by opening of presents from under the tree.

TV/Games

Possibly a short walk.

Tea

Then later on most of them will go home, and then guess what - THEY ARE ALL COMING BACK ON BOXING DAY :(:(:( to do it all again, (without presents this time).

Then all being well they are all going home on 27th Dec and I shall be able to put my feet up and relax.

Will be a difficult one this year, as dad died in June, so I am having everyone to me. Got to keep mum's spirits up.

Brenda my heart goes out to you all: I think the 'first' of anything after a loved one has died is so difficult. My mum died 28 years ago and my nephew's wedding a couple of weeks ago was so emotional: the first of our children to grow up and marry and she wasn't there in person to see it. :o

Sometimes these things just have to be 'got through' but having children around gives you so much else to focus on. And by the sound of it you'll have enough on your plate just managing to get everything done!

Keep your chin up!

Maz

Guest MaryEMac

I don't really know what is happening this year. It's my brother's turn to have Dad as he came to us last year. We hopefully will have Richard's Dad with us if he is well enough. He has Alzeimers and Parkinsons and is in a secure care home as he had a habit of trying to hitch hike to Bedford! We will ,at some point see my son and his family but really will be very quiet.

Mary

Our Xmas starts on Xmas eve when the 2 youngest (18 and 16) help with the Rotary float which goes round the estate. Once they have finished and helped to put it away our friends that they went with will all come to us for lasagne and the odd(?) glass of wine.This year we will also have our daughter's boyfriend and parents as well. They have invited us to go there for Xmas day so that Becky and Tom want to be together. We then will leave Yorkshire on Boxing day towing our caravan down to Dover where we shall use it as a VERY cheap B&B that night before we cross the channel at 5am on the 27th and travel to a fabulous resort in the French Alps called Les Gets. Eldest daughter leaves on Friday to take up her chalet host post there. We will be with her for the whole week. They already have loads of snow and loads expected over the week end. I feel so shattered after this term with the increase in hours for the children and myself I can't wait to go.

Christmas is a big event for our family. We go out with a Santa's float for several days beforehand collecting money for a local project for the homeless. On the last Sunday before Christmas is the Christingle Service by candlelight, which I really love. On Christmas Eve family members begin to arrive and we always have a cheese fondue for supper. Late evening some of us attend the Midnight service and when we return we sit by the light of the tree filling stockings with the aid of a whisky, or two. I have been known to log onto the Forum to wish everyone a happy Xmas. xD Next morning we all go off to church for 10'o'clock and then, once the the rest of the family arrive and my husband returns from visiting people, we open our presents just before lunch. It tends to go a bit downhill after that as we are usually shattered and the oldies (90's) fall asleep. In the evening some play games whilst we put the youngest to bed. Last year we had a Wii which was a lot of fun. A light buffet is available for the hungry/greedy. :o On Boxing Day some go out for a walk to build up an appetite for more food, as we have a bit of a rerun of the Christmas meal. My role is to cook, cook and cook. The dishwasher does the washing up!

Both my girls home from uni this weekend, so serious shopping will be done.

Mum is going to my brothers this year so it'll just be the 4 of us.

Ham, egg & chips for Christmas eve dinner, bit of a tradition with me - something quick & easy.

Christmas morning my younger daughter - 19, will probably be up at 4 o'clock like she always has been.

Mince pies & sausage rolls for breakfast, then pressie time.

A big fat Christmas dinner, walk on the beach, then hubby will no doubt have a nap.

Nobody eats much for tea as we have been tucking into chocolates most of the afternoon.

Boxing day is another christmas day at in laws, though a bit of a later start to the day :o

jackie

Well, I was feeling under pressure from you after your first post Catma. Things got a bit hectic last week, so sorry they're late! :o

Not sure what's happening to your view of the tree - anyone else experiencing this?

What do you think of the snowy logo?