Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Should I Tell Them?

Jester

I have been given the go ahead to tell my class that I'm having a baby now that the governers know and I am wondering how I should announce it?

I teach pre school and reception in a foundation stage class the children are aged from 2 and a half :o I feel it's important for them to know as I won't be around after easter:( and it's a part of natural life.

Any advice or tips would be welcome!

Oooh, many many congratulations to you! A spring baby, how lovely!

Well I would go for the simple approach....not too much information.......just tell them that you've got a baby in your tummy or something like that - and then be prepared for the questions! You'll probably find that they'll all tell their parents and then it'll be THEM that have to answer the questions actually! But my advice would be to keep it simple - we sometimes assume that children want/need to know more than they actually do!

CONGRATULATIONS! :o

Congratulations Jester- how lovely for you.

I was thinking about your posting and I suppose it really depends on how far you want to go with the concept of new life. Like Wolfie suggest you can keep it simple or make it into a project?

You could present the idea at a circle time- the children could 'discover' a baby doll in a moses basket or other such item; this will naturally lead to talk about babies/ brothers and sisters and of course your own. The children could even adopt the baby and look after it, take it home (like the class bear idea), keep a diary etc You can then provide them with updates on your hospital visits and scans- this will soon feed into their learning/new vocab etc. nearer the time you could have a baby clinic etc in the role play

The opportunties are endless, but whatever you decide to do I hope you have a smooth pregnancy. Keep us all posted with how you are getting on :o

Thanks for your advice Wolfie. I'm more concerned about getting questions such as how did it get in there and how will it get out?

From experience, how will it get out is much easier than how it got in!!!! :o

Congratulations!!

And good luck with telling the children! :o

Hi,

Just wanted to add my congratulations and say hope your telling them goes well. It would be a good idea to warn parents before you tell the children so that they can answer any awkward questions at home. That way you won't then be inundated with confused parents saying "I hear you are having a baby, but are you etc".

Take care and let us know how it goes

Nicky Sussex xD:(

Hi,

Just wanted to add my congratulations and say hope your telling them goes well. It would be a good idea to warn parents before you tell the children so that they can answer any awkward questions at home. That way you won't then be inundated with confused parents saying "I hear you are having a baby, but are you etc".

Take care and let us know how it goes

Nicky Sussex :oxD

Good point. A few of the parents know as some work in school as MSAs and one is a governer so won't come as a huge shock! I have a bit of a bump now so I am sure people have already notice but are too polite to say!

Congratulations Jester- how lovely for you.

I was thinking about your posting and I suppose it really depends on how far you want to go with the concept of new life. Like Wolfie suggest you can keep it simple or make it into a project?

You could present the idea at a circle time- the children could 'discover' a baby doll in a moses basket or other such item; this will naturally lead to talk about babies/ brothers and sisters and of course your own. The children could even adopt the baby and look after it, take it home (like the class bear idea), keep a diary etc You can then provide them with updates on your hospital visits and scans- this will soon feed into their learning/new vocab etc. nearer the time you could have a baby clinic etc in the role play

The opportunties are endless, but whatever you decide to do I hope you have a smooth pregnancy. Keep us all posted with how you are getting on :o

There are some lovely thoughts there apple, thank you. Wasn't really thinking of making it into a project esp this near to christmas but still would like them to feel involved in a small way.

Congratulations!

The children who have younger brothers and sisters will more than likely answer any questions the other children have - but not necessarily with the most accurate information :o Enjoy!

Nona

Congratulations Jester - as Wolfie says a spring baby will be lovely.

I'm just wondering whether you need to make a big announcement at all - just find an opportunity to slip it into a conversation. What with the nativity coming up there will be plenty of discussions about babies and births etc over the coming weeks! :o

Let us know how things go - I'm sure the children's responses could fill an entire page of "funny things children say"!

Maz

Congratulations Jester - as Wolfie says a spring baby will be lovely.

I'm just wondering whether you need to make a big announcement at all - just find an opportunity to slip it into a conversation. What with the nativity coming up there will be plenty of discussions about babies and births etc over the coming weeks! :o

Let us know how things go - I'm sure the children's responses could fill an entire page of "funny things children say"!

Maz

Well I told my class on friday and showed them my scan picture as had 20 week scan the day before and they just accepted it, one child said that could I be a mummy AND a teacher, and when I explained that my tummy would get bigger and bigger one child said 'then will it pop?'

I also told the class that I cover every other friday and they were a little more excited (was nice as have taught all of those children in reception so know them well) and they asked me if I would bring the baby in when it is born how cute!

this reminded me of a little boy I had at pre-school many many moons ago (he would be 24 now!)

His mum was pregnant and rather big, be spent all session with a cushion up his jumper, or something to make himself look bigger................. just like mum...he did this for weeks........

we all went with the flow and other children joined in the game..

one day in the home corner they asked for the doctors kit........... where was this going we all asked ourselves, but we went and gave them the kit as they had requested......

the children all ran to the home corner with the kit...

child shouted 'pop' VERY loudly and produced a doll from under his jumper... and shouted he had just had his baby and it was a boy!

we often did wonder what mum had told him! ( eventually mum had a girl and he was soooooooo disappointed)

Inge

This was a time when we went with the children, enjoyed the play , developed it and did not have to write it all down or justify it, so much easier....and so much the same as now!!!! (apart from the justify and paperwork bit!)