Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Me Again! Sorry....

we do 4 a day, we are in 3 rooms one in each room and one in the garden. the children have free flow between all three rooms and the garden. we have just been seen by our advisory teacher who said that that was a bit to many. but it was doen to use how many we did as it was sown to our team and the childrens needs. not very helpful i know just wanted to let you know what happens in my setting

one a day or sometimes 2 depending on the children.. if they begin something we may turn it into a focus activity.. eg fascination with spiders, follow through and extend that into a focus activity.

Inge

Tinkerlink I've moved this into Nursery Observation, Assessment and Planning as you may get more replies here. :o

Oh ok thanks - i thought thats where i had posted it LOL!! Silly me!! Hehe

Thank you!

Tink! xD x

Hi we only do one focused activity each week which is adult led but we only spend 45mins perday until all40 chldren have done it, we assess the chldrene at the same time though! 0258 x

one a day or sometimes 2 depending on the children.. if they begin something we may turn it into a focus activity.. eg fascination with spiders, follow through and extend that into a focus activity.

Inge

Thanks Inge,

Is this one a day a new one every day? Or is it the same one all week? I find if i change them too frequently not all the children have chance to access them - especially when it is one where we work with individuals...

Tink! :o x

Tink: By the way there is no need to apologise for posting. There is nothing we all like better than discussing what we do and supporting each other. Your posts are leading to some very interesting discussions which will help a lot of other members as well. Keep asking :o

Seems like we do the same as 0258.

We have 25 children & 5 staff per day and do a focused activity each day. Same one for the week, that way we know pretty well most of the children get to do it. Each week is a different area of learning and we can asses children at same time

BTW I agree with JackieL please dont apoligise. I think you have opened up some really interesting discussions

Edited by lynned55

Hi we only do one focused activity each week which is adult led but we only spend 45mins perday until all40 chldren have done it, we assess the chldrene at the same time though! 0258 x

yeh this is what im thinking is guna work for me - just one a week cos of everything else that happens and stuff - doing more than that gets too confusing and not all the children get chance to do it... thank you 0258!

we did one a day but it was too much so now its one per week so we cover all the children :o

Cool thank you! I feel better now!!

Tink! xD x

Oh can i just ask, do you usually carry out these activities in the provision areas or do you have a table set up with a totally different activity on it? Or does it depend on the activity?!

Thanks!

Depends what the actiivity is. Last week it' involved using musical instruments so we've had it not only on it's own table but in it's own room! This week was going for walks and using the cameras, when they came back they sat at a seperate table and looked through the photos they had taken on the laptop. We do usually try and keep it seperate as then it's easier to focus & asess. Keeps it to a more managable number at any time as well. On the other hand if it involved construction then it would probably be done in the construction area.

Ours is different every day.. if children do not access one in particular it we do not worry as they will be accessing one at some time during the week.

As children are in a lot of the week we find that if we have the same thing they become indifferent to it and do not use it.. They all access something during the week and from obs and assessments we can target the activity to the majority of children on a day.. or target the one or two who need it with others joining in..

we also find that it can change between morning and afternoon depending on the children , different group, those with us all day etc. This may just be a modification of what we were doing or a complete change.

Over the term children will access a wide range and the focus will be covered several times in different ways so while not accessing one time because it is not their interest may do so another when time when it is something they are interested in.

Sounds like a lot of planning but not really, but then we are experienced staff who can often spot and change everything very quickly, and we all adapt and work together. Think to some degree it depends on the support and staff you have as to if it works.

Inge

Us too that is how we do things

I think what's important here is to be flexible about the 'how many?' question. Sometimes I would carry a focus activity over the whole week because it needed an lot of adult support (good example here..sewing..). On the other hand sometimes we would change it every day because it was quite a short activity that was done in groups (for example playing a board game that was new to the children) and that activity could be done as a focus on one day and made available for independent play for the rest of the week. SO it really depends on what it is, what your set up and how the children come and go. I used to find that I could repeat an activity two or three times a week in order to let all of the children access it.

Hey, planning is the bain of my life too, so you are soooo not on your own!

I used to plan one activity a week, then I found that the children who come every day were 'possibly' getting a tad bored with only having the child initiated stuff, so now we plan one a day and make sure that each child each day get to do the activity.

This works for us as we have different children different days.

Like most people have said there is no real right or wrong it is 'what works for you'

Good luck and keep the questions coming I learn so much from the forums.

Hey, planning is the bain of my life too, so you are soooo not on your own!

I used to plan one activity a week, then I found that the children who come every day were 'possibly' getting a tad bored with only having the child initiated stuff, so now we plan one a day and make sure that each child each day get to do the activity.

This works for us as we have different children different days.

Like most people have said there is no real right or wrong it is 'what works for you'

Good luck and keep the questions coming I learn so much from the forums.

Hi I am new to this site. I am working out of a childen`s centre running a childminder dro-in once a week for 2 hours each session. Where do I start with the planning

Any help would be appreicated

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)