Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing A Shopping List?

I have just been reading an article in the paper which states that one in seven children struggle to write their name after a year in school and 14% of five year olds have problems writing a shopping list. One in ten cannot recite the alphabet.

I haven't found anywhere in the new EYFS that states we have to teach them to write a shopping list.

Must try harder :o

jackie

This sort of data comes directly from the national analysis of the FSP data. As leydon said, the one about the shopping list is the point about different forms of writing, and I always thought this was one of the more difficult points to score. The writing their name points also adds 'and other words from memory' and whereas many children can write their name, there will be some who don't score that point because they cant write the other words from memory.

I will add the words

toilet paper

milk

eggs

bread

apples

to my list of words to help the children......... after they have learnt to write their name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In nursery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Just a note here. I don't really have a list of words to teach them!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just have a picture in my mind of all these 5 year olds walking round the supermarket on a saturday morning with their trolley and shopping list :o

jackie

I just have a picture in my mind of all these 5 year olds walking round the supermarket on a saturday morning with their trolley and shopping list :o

I was reading a letter in a families-type magazine about a lady who had been advised to do this with her toddler to encourage 'reading' - she cuts out pictures from supermarket leaflets of the staple food items she buys every week and sticks them onto a piece of paper to make a shopping list so that her child can do her own shopping alongside her mum. Mum also includes the written words alongside so the child can begin to make the link between the products and their names.

Sorry - a bit off topic I know. I agree with mundia about the 'writing for different forms' point being hard to evidence. And as for JMB's original post, I'm not sure that putting pressure on children to write at an ever earlier age will necessarily solve the problem she was reading about. In fact I'd say it might have the reverse effect. So if I were writing a shopping list for things my children need it would include "time to play and learn and enjoy being three (or) four (or) five".

You listening, Bezza? xD

Maz

PS Obviously I also need sensitive practitioners who can recognise a child's emerging interest in writing, and who have the knowledge and expertise to cultivate and nurture this interest without resulting to using worksheets and drill....

I agree with all of you!

Lots of times you have these ELG that are many in one and, because one aspect might not have been achieved, then the others aspects seem like cero xD and that is not fair for the children.

We also have the problem of having had children in our class who NEVER became 5 during the school year, but did so during the summer holiday. I would say that Reception children should be children who have already become 5 on the 1st day of the new school year.

About the shopping list, I just search for their emergent writing, not exact writing :o .

and for all of us who work in a bilingual setting we will of course have them write their list in at least 2 languages ....keyed in to the blackberry to get the IT skills too

Mx

I agree with all of you!

Lots of times you have these ELG that are many in one and, because one aspect might not have been achieved, then the others aspects seem like cero xD and that is not fair for the children.

We also have the problem of having had children in our class who NEVER became 5 during the school year, but did so during the summer holiday. I would say that Reception children should be children who have already become 5 on the 1st day of the new school year.

About the shopping list, I just search for their emergent writing, not exact writing :o .

and for all of us who work in a bilingual setting we will of course have them write their list in at least 2 languages ....keyed in to the blackberry to get the IT skills too

Welcome to the Forum, thewomanoverseas! I guess your children must just be overachievers! :o

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your work.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)