Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are You Reading Now?

Well, and this will probably put you off, it's basically about the murder of a 14 year-old and it's effect on her family, told from her viewpoint.

Sounds stark and awful put like that. If I manage to finish it, I'll let you know

Sue

I've just read 'The Lovely Bones' . I was intrigued after all the interest here as it's not usually the kind of thing that appeals to me. It's a well written book and I couldn't put it down. I'm a hard hearted soul but it did get to me in a way that surprised me ...that is until near the end when I thought it got a bit silly and the flood gates to my emotions slammed firmly shut again. ( that makes me sound very geeky) :o I won't say why as I don't want to spoil it for other people who may want to read it. Basically it's a story about life and death. How people deal with the death of a loved one in very different ways and how even the closest of families can feel that they are grieving alone. It shows how people learn to live with their grief over time etc etc. and learn to live again. Next on my list is the Curious Dog (?) book. Thanks for the recommendations - keep them coming - at least I'm branching out on the types of books I read. :D

Denise

Go for the Curious Incident book Denise - it's the most flowingly readable book I've read for years. One of those books you simultaneously love and hate coming to the end of though. Excellent ending but comes far too soon... :)

Finish "Lovely Bones", Sue........it's worth it! That was my "can't put down" holiday reading this year. Yet, if someone had outlined the story, I would never have chosen it....terrible subject matter, but it's written beautifully.

I've just finished "Prodigal Summer", by Barbara Kingsolver; great. Over the course of a summer, three sets of characters develop a connection. A bit of ecology there (one of the characters is a reclusive biologist who lives up a mountain!), a pair of elderly neighbours who are always bickering (really funny stuff sometimes), and a young Polish woman who has married into a farming family who don't truly accept her. I really liked it. (Just realised I can't write reviews of novels :o )

OK World.

I love books and reading. Once you understand that, you can bear with me.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan, please revisit this book. Try to finish it. For me.

'The Lovely Bones', by Alice Sebold. Can understand your probs Mousebat(Denise) but have to agree, amazing!

'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' - brilliant. And, no, I am not easily pleased, those happen to be two superb books!'Nuff for now, I can get a bit intense!

Sue :D

I've just read Lovely Bones. It took 8 and a half hours with only a few short breaks. I couldnt put it down and have cried so much my 11 year old has asked if I'm ok. A truly lovely book, if you havent finished it yet Sue, then I can only echo what Helen says...it's worth it. :)

Sorry Sue R, it was me at fault I didnt read all the posts properly or I would of noticed that you had finished it. :o I'm about to start another called 'The five people you meet in heaven'. An old man dies and on entering heaven he finds it's not a place like the garden of eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by 5 people who were in it. These people could be family members or strangers, but all of them had a hand in the path your life followed. Will let you know how it goes. :D

Hi all

For those of you who read 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold might I recommend her other book called 'Lucky'. It is a memoir detailing how her life was changed when she was raped as an eighteen year old college freshman. Sounds grim I know but I found it fascinating to hear how she stuggled to come to terms with what had happened to her and how she felt people treated her differently afterwards, not a person but as a victim.

Not easy to read but makes you realise how strong the human spirit can be. To use the authors own words 'You save yourself or you remain unsaved'

Let me know what you think if anyone gives it a go.

At the moment I'm reading 'Blow Fly' by Patricia Cornwell, I'm a bit of a crime/thriller junkie.

Sue

Hi, there!

Now I think I may be understanding a bit of why 'The Lovely Bones' grabs you so. Think I will have to give 'Lucky' a try, thanks, Sue (Always grateful for book recommendations!) Am currently reading 'Post Mortem' by the lovely Miss Cornwell. I am most definitely NOT a fan of this type of fiction, but having promised a colleague I would give it a fair crack of the whip (! - :o ) am finding it surprisingly good!

Will try to find your book, too, Rea.

On a more Professional level, Have started Nicola Call's 'The Thinking Child' - amazing, really getting the old brain into gear, there! (sorry, Nicola!)

Have finished '5 people you meet in heaven'. Not a bad book, but after reading 'Lovely bones' and being immersed in such emotion, :o I suppose I was expecting the same again. Have just started Hunting Unicorns. Good so far :). I've haerd of Last tango in Aber, might try that having spent many summers there when I was younger. :D

Sue (crime/thriller junkie one!):

I have just discovered Harlan Coben. Just finished "No Second Chance" - very good. He has written quite a few others which I am looking out for.

:)

Thanks Libby :D

Have read several Harlem Cobden, Very good, always have a brilliant twist at the end so never read the last page.

Another good one, Karin Slaugther. You need to read these in order as they are about the same characters; 'Kisscut', 'Blindsighted', 'A Faint cold fear' and the latest only just out in hardback 'Indelible' (have read the first 3 chapters, so far so good).

Happy reading,

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

I finished my library book and took it back, but I'm avoiding reading anything rather than try that book again, although it did get to A&E with me when I had to take my son 2 weeks ago. xD Fortunately, it was the shortest wait ever and the TV was on!!!!! :o

Read it Susan, honestly it's worth it. And at least it's a fiction. I've just read The Kid by Kevin Lewis, true story and terrible but with a strength. And then I read a couple of Terry Prachetts Disc worlds to lighten the mood. :D

Took my son to A&E last week, the wait is definitley getting better, only 2 hours start to finish. :D

Hi

My 10 year old has got me reading 'The adventures of Darren Shan' The first one is called 'Cirque du freak' and the main characters are about to take on a vampire and big spider. It's an older child's horror and he is loving them, I'm finding all the talk of spiders a bit scarey :o:(xD

Must stop being a wimp or stop reading it in bed :(

Sue

hi,

just been reading how dyslexics learn , grasping the nettle. this book is a real breath of fresh air.very positive approach to dyslexia and learning and very easy to read. as a parent i do get disheartened when you read , once you develop a stratergy..... and thats it ! what and how!? but this is full of really helpful and positive advice.

maddy.

Hi

I'm reading Wicked Words from the Horrible History series (It's my sons book.)

It's a lighthearted look at the English language. Did you know 'balderdash' used to be a cheap and nasty wine ! I'm hoping to find out what nincompoop really means

next.

Next book on my list is Edward de Bono's Thinking Hats - been putting that one off...

Denise

oh mousebat- i'm reading the adventure of english by M Bragg. It was made first as a TV series that i stayed up till the early hours to watch. The book si good and interesting. The other book i just finished was the amateur marrige which startd well but then became----UHHHHH!

After reading the posts in this topic i went out at the weekend and bought 'The curious incident...' and 'Lovely Bones' (oh and it was a 3 for 2 offer, so i got a trashy novel too!) :D

Anyway, i read the curious incident within six hours ... what a fantastic book!

I am struggling slighty with lovely bones, it keeps scaring me and i have to force myself to stop reading!! But i am sure i will have the courage to finish it soon!!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations :o

• 2 months later...

For lovers of crime/thriller I have just read 'The Sinner' by Tess Gerritsen, very good, didn't have a clue who was commiting the murders. 'The Surgeon' and 'The Apprentice' by same auther very good but don't read any of the above if you don't like blood and body parts turning up at crime scences. xD:o:(

Also recently read 'How to talk so kids will listen & listen so kids will talk' by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish. Brought it primarily for tips for dealing with my 10 year old as I seemed to be 'nagging him', you know how it is sometimes. Some good techniques for getting the child to think about what they have done or are doing and therefore empowering them to do the right thing or think it thorugh themselves to reach a solution that they feel happy with. Some bits seemed abit unworkable somehow in the real world and at those moments when your so tired you can't think straight it's hard to remember some of the 5 step strategies but lots of good stuff. I have found myself using some of the methods with the nursery children to good effect too, so probably worth a read.

Sue

Highly recommend 'I don't know how she does it' by Allison Pearson. Had it bought for me by one of my ex parents. Puts into perspective a working Mum's life and the guilt she can feel for having a job. I enjoyed it so much I passed it onto the Head, Deputy, and various other working Mums! The first page will have you hooked. Encouraged my husband to read it - he couldn't see what I was making all the fuss about! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)