Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are You Reading Now?

Guest MaryEMac

Just read ' Ghost Girl' and Just Another Kid' byTorey Hayden. Have read and enjoyed all her books. Also have finished 'The Little Prisoner' by Jane Elliott. It took me three goes to read this as I found it too upsetting. It's the true story of a girl who was dominated, bullied and sexually abused by her stepfather who was just 14 years older than her. It started at 4 yrs old and ended when she was 21 and found the courage to fight back.

on a lighter note I have the new Lilian Harry waiting for me. you've probably noticed that I have an eclectic taste in books!!

Mary

I have just finished the Da Vinci Code (in less than a week) Mysister bought me the limited edition illustrated version which has pictures and photos of the locations/painting/symbols that are being written about which helps the story. Now moving on to another one by Dan Brown (Demons and Angels??)

Have also just started reading Noboddy Nowhere by Donna Williams (and have bought the follow up Somebody Somewhere) which is an autobiography of her life with autism, growing up in the 1960's and being labelled 'awkward, a nutter, mad' and a whole lot worse. Have only just started today and can't put it down... it is very eye opening to see the world through the eyes of someone on the spectrum - I guess it is similar to Luke Jackson's Freaks, Geeks.... which is next on the hit list.

Have got a book on Reggio ordered from Amazon, which I am looking forward to reading from a professional point of view.

Finally managed to stick to a New Years Resolution to go to bed earlier and read...HOORAY!!! :D

Hi,

Having pig-headedly resisted 'The Da Vinci Code' for ages, because everyone was telling me how good it was, I read it a couple of weeks ago. Interesting.

A book I've read since along the Grail lines but totally different is 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse. You may find it of some interest?

Sue

Hi all,

I've just finished reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince....WOW I can't wait for the next one.

THe book I read before that was Penny Vincenzi's Sheer Abandon - that was very difficult to put down.

And I'm about to start Freya North's love rules. 

I love reading, can't get to sleep without it. I need that unreality check before I go to sleep!!!

47670[/snapback]

I agree that the latest HP book was fantastic - however, I got to a certain part in the book when I spent about a week going round the house saying things like "I just can't believe it" & "Why did she go & do that?" which bemused my other half somewhat, as I wouldn't tell him what I was referring to (he's watched all the films with me, but has only read the first book - I want him to read them, so refuse to divulge anything!)

Twinkle - I finished reading P.S. I love you, a couple of weeks ago, & also really enjoyed it. maybe I'm getting even more sentimental in my old age (which is hard going as I cry watching Beauty & the Beast!), but the 2 books I've mentioned here are the only books I've ever cried at. what was the other Cecelia Aherne book like?

Here are a couple of good fiction reads!!

Tuesdays with Morrie - It made me all emotional

Hotel Babylon - I just can't believe what people do in HOTELS!

Ugly - A girl totally abused as a child but is now a part time judge in London.

I'd be glad for other suggestions.

Just debating as to whether to start The Time Travellers Wife or The Hstory of Love!

Hi

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Very good read, interesting and couldn't put it down. About a young girl growing up in Africa with domineering father and a liberal aunt who the girl goes to stay with. Orange Prize for Fiction Winner

Give it a go and see what you think

Trudie

The best thing about half term is having time to read.

I have just discovered Penny Vincenzi. At the moment I am reading No Angel, but have just finished Forbidden places.

I am also a fan of Jodi Picoult and enjoyed My sisters Keeeper, the Pact and Salem falls.

I have a big stack still to read including Dan Brown Deception point and Digital fortress. Really enjoyed Angels and Demons and Da vinci code. Looking forward to seeing the film.

Really don't have time to go back to work next week.

Glen

Hi there

Jumped straight to last page in this thread so I dont know if its been mentioned, but Pack up the Moonis a wonderful book- a real weepy, but then very uplifting - I cried buckets in the beginning, but there are humourous things throughout as well that have you spluttering. A really easy read with some beautiful writing. The reason I picked it up is because it started off with my favourite poem - Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun... Cant remember the rest of it :oxD Anyway, lovely read.

G.

Beau,

Thank you sooooooo much for putting in that link to the poem. It was very kind. - I'm going to print it off and keep it safe now.

Regards

G.

Like many others on here, recently read (and loved) The Time Traveller's Wife. I have started The Jane Austen Book Club but put it down to read time traveller's wife. Have just started Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.

First person narrative about a 15 year old boy in small town Texas. Anyone else read it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)