Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Are You Reading Now?

I'm reading Bill Bryson 'Mother tongue', I didnt know there were so many long words!! Did you know that in Russia there are no words for engagement ring, have fun or take care? And there are 35 words for dung in Maori?? The Eskimos while having 50 words to describe crisp snow, soft snow, fresh snow etc have no word for just snow. It makes for very interesting reading xD:o:D

Two books to recoomend:

Brazzaville Beach (William Boyd, Penguin, 1990). Easily readable, but the novel simultaneously covers the present, the recent past and the more distant past! The sort of book that can make you stop and think about what is important and what might not be. It is about relationships (working and personal), professional achievements and professional integrity. But it is very sad!

Educational Provision for Children with Autism and Asperger Syndrome - Meeting their Needs (Glenys Jones, David Fulton, 2002). Again, easily readable! It covers everything promised in the title. It looks at needs across the whole spectrum, and across a broad age range (pre-school to secondary ages). The book addresses options at each and every stage. It includes information on main-stream educuation, special schools, home-based-programmes. ... and more. The book gives useful definitions of AS disorders and distinguishes well between "higher functioning" and others. Many interventioanl aspects are covered (e.g. occupational therapy, speech therapy). I have found this to be a useful resource in my work with a lower-functioning ASD child (aged 7).

Diane.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started 'Back when we were grown-up's' Anne tyler. I liked the title cos obviously I must of been a grown up at some stage! And because it's about a woman of 53, who starts to question what would of happened if, when her life was at a fork in the road, she had taken the other road.

I'm also re-reading bits from 'how to stop smoking the easy way' Allen Carr. So far I'm just eating and eating and eatingandeating ......(steve, this is where you need to add a smiley that wobbles) :o

Rea

I am a Allen Carr student and have not smoked since the 3rd September 2004 :D

My advice, finish and enjoy the other book and when you have then start to read the smoking book and only the smoking book. Follow it's advice and when you finally smoke that last ciggie know that you are about to free yourself from the addiction that we hate ourselves for being addicted too.

Go on Rea, if I can do it so can you. I put on about 1/2 a stone but am now starting to loose that and feeling so much better all round. Remember it's better to be a bit heavy than a smoker. Good luck and let me know how you get on :):):)

Sue x

Sue, this is the 3rd time I've stopped, first time was for 2 years. I like smoking. :o Thats where I use the book, Allen shoots down my reasons for smoking so convincingly. I will try to make it stick this time but I wont feel guilty if I start again cos that just makes me smoke more. As for weight gain, I put a stone on in a year, and took 6 months to lose it when I was back on the ciggies. Congratulations on getting this far, thats great. Are you saving the money you would of spent? :D

Oh, I'm glad I found this thread. :) Must admit I've only scanned the replies but got excited reading through them (apologies, I am an avid reader and a bit sad). Curious incident - great book and have recommended it to everyone I've come across. Lovely Bones - another great book - picked it up by chance at airport before flying out for my wedding/honeymoon. Rea, I love Terry Pratchett books, especially the Discworld series. I think his writing justs gets better and better (and funnier and funnier). Also love Bill Bryson's travel writing although didn't finish reading Mother Tongue (recommended on book list at University and that's probably why). I recommend Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure (another that was bought for honeymoon reading and hubby and I were arguing over who should read it first) and Tony Hawks "Round Ireland with a Fridge", "Playing the Moldovains at Tennis" and "One Hit Wonderland". I'm struggling to get into The Dark Tower series by Stephen King although I've loved his other books and I do like fantasy books. Has anyone read "Freaks, geeks and Asperger's", what do you think? I could go on and on. You realise how sad I am when I tell you that I have the date the next Harry Potter book is out, circled and highlighted in my diary and yes, I have already pre-ordered it on amazon! :D

Has anyone read Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers
- yes! I bought is as a Christmas present to myself after reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time (a jolly good read). I can't believe Luke Jackson was only 13 when he wrote it, he is so level-headed. An interesting book. I recall watching the documentary about his family and being amazed at how remarkable they are...

Thanks, ASPK, I had fogotten who wrote it. Now I know what to ask for in the bookshop. I missed the documentary but a colleague has seen him speak at a conference and recommended the book to me. I believe Luke is 16 now. Perhaps they should repeat the documentary, sounds very interesting.

Hee Hee! They are good books though aren't they. I've planned the whole weekend in June for when the book arrives, sitting in the garden reading the next instalment. That is if the sun deems to shine over Manchester in June.

Rea

You smoke if you want, although I am not at the moment, I feel people have the right to live the way they want to live their lives :):):)

As for the money I am afraid I have a new addiction - golf. My boys (husband & son) got me playing and am now quite hooked. My local course is very hilly in places as it runs over the ridge of part of the south downs and I seriously beleive if I was still smoking I would have a coronary walking up the 10th fairway xD:(

Take care and don't beat yourself up whatever you decide to do, in my experience there is always someone else ready to do that job :(:o:(

Sue xx

Guys

If you've been trying to hit it with a stick that's where you've been going wrong. :(

The pro at my club says you have to relax and swing the club through the ball while turning and transfering your balance from back foot to front foot and the grip should be firm but not too tight and your head should stay still and your bottom should be sticking out thus keeping your back straight and while I'm desperatelty trying to remember just 2 of these things he says 'Just relax now Susan' :rolleyes: xD:o:( :unsure:

This joke sums up my golfing ability at the moment.

Golfer : I'd move heaven and earth to go round this course in less than 100 strokes.

Caddy : You'd better try heaven, you've moved most of the earth :(:D :wacko:

It's not my fault the grounds soft, at least I'm a good girl and put the divots back afterwards. xD

Sue x

• 8 months later...

Well, i've just enjoyed reading all these posts!!!

I am a huge fan of Curious incident... fabulous, couldn't put it down.

Also read Lovely bones, enjoyed it but for me went a bit downhill near the end. i'm a bit frightened about reading Lucky, not sure if it would upset me too much, anyone read it and could offer me advice, should i give it a go?

last year i read "PS i love you" by Cecilia Aherne, not a very "intellectual" read but LOVED it! very sweet and sad (couldn't stop crying by the pool in crete last year, hidden behind sunglasses)! but would reccommend it, my colleague loved it too.

About to start her second book now "where rainbows end" that's if i can tear myself away from PC!

Twinkle* :)

I read 'Lucky'. Am I a hard nosed whatsit? I didnt think it was that bad, I cried on every chapter of Lovely Bones, I too thought the end was a bit over the top, kinda spoilt it for me. Just read 'Velocity' Dean Koontz, brilliant, am now reading 'Thud' Terry Pratchett, but I 've got bored so any other ideas will be welcome. :D

If you like sci fi at all Rea I can recommend Tad Williams. I am currently reading his Otherland series. It's taking me a long time (can only keep awake for a few pages each night!) but they are really good. :)

the "proper " book :( i read was the Da Vinci code and the the ones by the same author. good read and makes yoou think xD . they made a change from books that were about children and work :(:o

Hi

Also just finished 'Time travellers wife'. Weird but worth reading, I was miffed cos it didn't end how I wanted it to :o

Reading 'Jane Austen book club', will let you know what I think when finished.

'Past Mortem' by Ben Elton was an enjoyable read, I read it over the summer.

Sue x

I've posted about this elsewhere, can't be bothered to look where now, but I'm still reading it - it's massive and I can only find time to read on the bus. I've nearly finished it now and it's just getting better and better!!

'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke.

Sue :D

• 3 months later...

Hi ...have just found this topic...has anyone read any of Jodi Picoult's books. My Sister's Keeper is a great read. Gaurenteed to keep you busy over half term and you need a box of tissues handy but excellent all the same!

Happy reading and holidays :o

Trudie

Hi Sue,

For some bizarre reason, I appear to have totally missed your post!!

It was an intriguing book about the re-flowering of English magic at the time of the Duke of Wellington ( :o !!). The two main magicians were the two gentlemen of the title and it concerns their very different approaches and the subsequent hardships endured by those close to them as they worked their way to an 'understanding' - of sorts. But to say more would be to spoil the whole thing - so - off you go, any of you who are tickled by this post!!

Sue

Hi Trudie

I read that before Christmas, and The Pact during the summer. Very different but enjoyable.

Linda

47413[/snapback]

Hi Linda

Yes, read this but didn't like it as much as I found it a bit upsetting and sad as the characters were so young and disturbed. Have got Salem Falls but haven't started it yet.

Trudie

Hi all,

I've just finished reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince....WOW I can't wait for the next one.

THe book I read before that was Penny Vincenzi's Sheer Abandon - that was very difficult to put down.

And I'm about to start Freya North's love rules.

I love reading, can't get to sleep without it. I need that unreality check before I go to sleep!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)