Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Have been for an interview this morning and have been accepted to start the foundation degree in sept :o .

I will be doing tuesdays 3 untill 9 and this is a 3 year route.

the school are funding me and im soooo excited ,just hope I can cope with the essays.

hi

i recieved my acceptance letter for derby uni yesterday, to do my foundation degree.don't know if i'm excited or nervous.should start in Sept.

don't know if i'm excited or nervous.should start in Sept.

Probably a mixture of both, aan! I know I was both in equal measure. Until about March the following year! :o

Maz

Hi just back from Menorca thats why I havnt replied aan but yes

I am NNEB level three and this is all you need to get on the foundation degree.

It will take me a few weeks to get back into normal mode after this holiday did nothing but lay in the sun ,read and eat.Cant believe I have put 5 pounds on. :o

thanks everyone, i think i will feel better once i get started fitting it all in will be the biggest worry.

the holiday sounds very relaxing Marys, sure you will soon get back in the swing of things.

Have a look at the OU website and it will tell you all you need to know. You can do the Degree with a Level 3, E123/4 are part of the degree and you can link it too a Level 4 . The OU is distance learning and it depends what courses you take when you start too how long it will take.

smiles

Have a look at the OU website and it will tell you all you need to know. You can do the Degree with a Level 3, E123/4 are part of the degree and you can link it too a Level 4 . The OU is distance learning and it depends what courses you take when you start too how long it will take.

smiles

Hi, i've just finished my first year doing Fd, but have done mine distance learning. through Greenwich uni. Found it quite tough as no one to bounce ideas off, but very rewarding.

Sherri.

Hi, i've just finished my first year doing Fd, but have done mine distance learning. through Greenwich uni. Found it quite tough as no one to bounce ideas off, but very rewarding.

Sherri.

Well now you've got all of us to bounce ideas off - so the second year will be a breeze! :o

Have been for an interview this morning and have been accepted to start the foundation degree in sept :o .

I will be doing tuesdays 3 untill 9 and this is a 3 year route.

the school are funding me and im soooo excited ,just hope I can cope with the essays.

Hi Debs

I am also starting the Foundation degree in September, same day and time as you..just wondering, as you are fairly near, where will you be doing your FD?

I am doing it at Leeds Uni, Harrogate Campus!

Sam

Edited by Guest

Mine is also Leeds uni but we will be based at Dewsbury College, which is great for me as its only a 5 min drive.

Although we will have to attend the uni campus on occasional days apparently.

Am starting to worry if i can handle the essays, as i havnt done any for years.

Debs

You'll be fine MARYS. Sure why wouldn't you when you have your FSF family to support and encourage you along the way. Once you get used to studying again and you find your own way of doing things it will probably become easier for you. That goes for all of us starting or continuing with our studies.

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to hearing about how well we are all doing! :o

I felt like you this time last year when I was starting the FD. One year on I am really enjoying it. I have made some fabulous new friends who have same enthusiasm for their jobs and the children in their care.

You will also find the forum good for help- from getting ideas to 'chewing' things over;and for listening to others who have the similar worries and struggles with assignments etc. I have also found it very re assuring that i am not the only one with these worries.

I am sure you will be fine and a year on will be glad you have started it.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I am starting my Foundation Degree at college, one evening a week, and have noticed most people choose OU... Have a chose the hardest option, in doing it at college?

I am terrfied by the assignment brief we have been given in our first week, it looks like it's aimed at clever people who do degrees all the time!

:o

Welcome to the forum lilangels! :o Don't be terrified - I've just mentored a work colleague through the FD done at college and she loved every minute of it....well, almost every minute, anyway!

Don't panic too much about your first assignment, you should be given plenty of guidance and advice and your tutors will be using that first assessment to identify any areas in which you will need support as the course continues - just like the assessment and planning cycle with children! xD

hiya lilangels

My first day is tuesday and im looking fprward to the course, hopefully we will be able to help each other through this site so thats always a good thing.

It appears there are lots of people starting the degree so we can all stress together :o

I felt exactly the same as you when I started the foundation degree, I thought I would never be able to keep up - I am now starting the 3rd year to gain an BA(hons) in Education Studies and feel the same again, but it is amazing what you can do if you put yourself up for it - lots of members on here have done the fd or considering it, or are halfway through it and I think we all agree this site is a great support throughout your study.

You will be fantastic, :o people here helped me right from my decision to do the degree and also with day to day issues of running a pre-school -

I wasn't going to reply to this thread and then I had to stop and think of all the lovely members who have supported me - if they didn't bother to reply to my posts I wouldn't of felt so good about it all and found the strength and support when the going got hard.

Good luck - the time will fly by and before you now it you will graduate!

(I did a college based fd - it was hard work but so worth it)

Edited by Guest

welcome l lilangels , i found the first year very scary, I started back this week for the second year it was really nice to meet up with all my old friends and making more new friends. FD is hard work but it has been easier to get through with the support of everyone here and my friends at college i was able to get through. if i can do it so can you to, you just eed to pace your self and keep on top of everything.

Hi Lilangels......

I start my foundation degree on Monday!!!

I am moving between excited and anxious in equal measure!!!!!!!!!!!

I think trying to organise myself to only be in work 4 days a week is the worst bit right now!!!

I did a previous course via distance learning and really enjoyed it, but am glad to have the opportunity to be in college weekly for this.

Can't recall when I last wrote an essay........... oh yes it was 1997................. when I was doing the City and Guilds 7307!!!!!

Good luck to you.. perhaps we can share notes on the experience later?????

Hello and welcome Lilangels to the best early years forum! :o Already you have the support of strangers on here who will soon become friends through their willingness to share, support and help you in your studies. xD

To those also starting the FD and those continuing, I'm sure Shirel's kind words apply to you too. Good luck to everyone and may you all stay within the word count!!!! :(

Mine is also Leeds uni but we will be based at Dewsbury College, which is great for me as its only a 5 min drive.

Although we will have to attend the uni campus on occasional days apparently.

Am starting to worry if i can handle the essays, as i havnt done any for years.

Debs

That was like us - but for us it turned out our tutor made us go to 'Uni' because she kept overhearing us refering to our course as 'college' and not 'uni' and she wanted us to understand that we were in fact uni students using college facilities!!! she wanted us to be proud of our uni student status!!

Good luck to all starting FDs.

And as for first assignments, don't worry steep learning curve and next year you'll look but on the first one and laugh about it.

My one tip would be.... spend time learning how to ref correctly from the very start..... oh and keep a 'master copy' of ref list so you can 'cut n paste' when in a hurry later!!!!!!!!

xxxxxx

That was like us - but for us it turned out our tutor made us go to 'Uni' because she kept overhearing us refering to our course as 'college' and not 'uni' and she wanted us to understand that we were in fact uni students using college facilities!!! she wanted us to be proud of our uni student status!!

Good luck to all starting FDs.

And as for first assignments, don't worry steep learning curve and next year you'll look but on the first one and laugh about it.

My one tip would be.... spend time learning how to ref correctly from the very start..... oh and keep a 'master copy' of ref list so you can 'cut n paste' when in a hurry later!!!!!!!!

xxxxxx

i am with essex i second the good points made about matkat

Hi lilangels - welcome to the Forum and congratulations upon your wise decision to undertake a Foundation Degree.

I did mine through Reading University at a local college and I echo what louby loo said about understanding that you are now a uni student! You'll get lots of support from the college and from your new family on here - lots of us have done the Foundation Degree and can completely understand how you're feeling right now: probably a mixture of pure terror and mild hysteria. Remember that you have to learn the skills you need to be able to write assignments at a new level academically: no-one will expect you to be expert from the start! Your confidence will grow as you get to grips with a new vocabulary and new ways of thinking: and you will get study skills support to help you learn to write assignments in the correct academic language and you will become an expert referencer (is that a word?) if you follow louby loo's advice about referencing!

Good luck to everyone embarking on a Foundation Degree in the next few weeks - whether you chose the OU or a college-based degree it will all be worth it. And come graduation day you will be so proud and so glad you took the plunge!

Maz

Thank you thank you thank you

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

for all the replies.

I am amazed how many people have replied with kind words and advice, and it was all exactly what I needed to hear!

I now feel like I have someone to talk to, somewhere to turn, and I feel 300 times more positive about my ability to do this.

Good luck also to all other FD newbies :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)