Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi everyone

Been reading through all your comments on the Foundation Degree. I have been asked to do it by my setting next September. Pretty sure I would like to do it and am looking at accessing it locally. My biggest concern is the number of hours study required, as trying to work out if I can fit it in wioth family and work commitments. I have 3 demanding children! and currently am SENCo and do all the planning for my pre-school and end up being keyworker for 15 children each year.

How many hours of study aould you roughly think you are expected to do each week or month?

If I had some idea could go back to pre-school to negotiate and reassure myself whether i can do this!

Bit worried by it all at the mo.

Cheers for all your help

:o

Hello Abruton,

We have been told to expect to spend 2 hours a night studying, on top of the four hours at college (or uni) a week - This 2 hours is pretty much mainly for reading, although when your assignments are due it may feel like you are spending every waking (and, I have found, sleeping) minute thinking about it!

My main concern with your post it that you have been asked to do it... I would not do this course for anybody else, it is hard work and yes, I am enjoying it, but with three children myself I would soon become bitter if it was not my choice. However, if it is something you want to do for yourself too, then it's a different matter. It can be squeezed in, it can take less than 14 hours reading a week, I have been advised by a friend who has just finished. There are people who cram everything in at the last minute and scrape a pass, and there are those who will work hard and get a better grade, I am hoping to be one of the first because I love spending time with my kids!!

But as for preschool, tell them you will need time off for study, they will get funding to cover you anyway.

Hope this helps, please don't let it worry you!

Linda

as Linda says its worrying saying you need to do and complete by Sept. It is hard work but Maz and i did it and fitted it in with work and families, and it is very rewarding at the end once you pass. I have to say i loved much more than my BA - good luck :o

WHAT EXACTLEY DOES A MENTOR DO , my head who is a lovely lady said she would be my mentor but I dont know exactly what it is,I dont want to keep asking her her for help/advise if this isnt what they volunteered for.

I have got my modules titles 1st play based learning,an activity plan on how I C T is used to support childrens learning/development in your setting. andan essay- key issues in play based learning.

my other module is Personal and proffesional development.

If I cant figure out what a amentor does how will I cope with he degree :o

Your mentor should meet with you regularly to discuss your current assignments with you and help you relate the theoretical issues that you are covering at college and in your assignments to your everyday practice in your setting.

They should also be there to help you celebrate your achievements and successes, of which there will be many!...and pick you up when you're feeling low or not so confident -there may be a FEW of those times too! :o

Thanks everyone for your advice. Pretty sure I would like to do the degree - its just scary planning something for do far in advance and that will go on for so long. Never had to think so far ahead before!!

It doesn't sound too bad - all I need to do now is convince my hubby that I will still have time for him too and should be in!

Thanks again -- its soo nice to have you all out there!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)