Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It Just Me?

HappyMaz

So I go back to work this morning after the half term break, and so there's a fair bit of post which someone has helpfully piled up for me. Usual sort of stuff: people wanting me to buy lovely shade sails or fantastic landscape features which I can't because the Parish wouldn't allow it...

Imagine my surprise when I open a pack of flyers from one of our local Day Nurseries (small chain of five in our part of the world) with a compliment slip saying "please hand these out to all your parents".

So I'm thinking of ringing them to see if they'll give out some of mine in return! :o

Anyone else had any offers they found easy to refuse today?

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

A man came into playgroup a few years back and asked us to give out flyers for the new surestart nursery close by. My deputy smiled sweetly, expressed her joy at a setting opening so close to us and as soon as he left, put them in the bin.

Some people do have a cheek. But my dad says 'if you dont ask, you dont get'

Hi Maz,

I agree with sending out your info, no need for a phone call (they didn't call you!)

But have they posted to you because you are well-known, popular, over subscribed etc?

They may not be poaching (!) but may be able to offer something different, longer hours, after hours, lunches etc (or nothing at all in which case you have no worries!)

Surely parental choice is a good thing and that could be all they are offering

Good luck with your advertising!

Rachel

So I go back to work this morning after the half term break, and so there's a fair bit of post which someone has helpfully piled up for me. Usual sort of stuff: people wanting me to buy lovely shade sails or fantastic landscape features which I can't because the Parish wouldn't allow it...

Imagine my surprise when I open a pack of flyers from one of our local Day Nurseries (small chain of five in our part of the world) with a compliment slip saying "please hand these out to all your parents".

So I'm thinking of ringing them to see if they'll give out some of mine in return!

Maz

Maybe you could ask them to pay you for your time and kind support of a competitor and then you could buy the shade sail with the profits? Or in keeping with the selfless generosity - just buy one for them! :o

So I'm thinking of ringing them to see if they'll give out some of mine in return! :o

Maz

I would send out my own flyers 'with a complimentary slip!!!' -say no more!!!

i'd send my flyers with a comp slip saying something like i'll scratch your back when you scratch mine,

or one good turn deserves another i've handed yours out heres mine (of course you know where yours would end up!)

actually i'd be more inclined to put theirs back into an envelope with a note saying when Tescos advertise for Asda, i'll advertise for you :o

they probably blanketed the area sending their flyers to all the schools and pre-schools, playgroups etc in the belief that if even one sent them all out they would pull in a couple of new children it would be worth it, won't matter to them if they upset the other providers

Whoa! a bit of as deja vu - I returned to Pre School yesterday too after half term break - to receive a phone call from the LA advisor who is 'earmarked' to support our setting - taken off guard a bit - only with hindsight I could have been better prepared with an answer - she is sending someone round to hand deliver flyers for outr parents advertising the new childrens centre open days - ok, that bits not too bad - but considering the CC is less than a mile away fron us and within the CC they have a completely revamped all singing all dancing nursery (facilities for 0-4) with no takers - couldn't quite believe the audacity of wanting us to ask our parents to go and look around. I did draw the line at putting up posters for her!!!!

Not recently but there was one time when the headteacher of the local school came to playgroup in the summer term to meet the new children going to school after the holidays. When she left one of my members of staff informed me that she had been trying to persuade her to apply for the TA position coming up in the school. :o

I would do the same as Wolfie. Maybe they are not aware that you are there as a provider too.

I thought that too at first Beth - thought I'd been added to some computerised mailing system or other. Until I looked at the very carefully hand written envelope which really nobody could fail to recognise was a pre-school!

Not recently but there was one time when the headteacher of the local school came to playgroup in the summer term to meet the new children going to school after the holidays. When she left one of my members of staff informed me that she had been trying to persuade her to apply for the TA position coming up in the school. xD

Now that really is out of order. Perhaps I should offer an 'off loading' service to this nursery: send them a poster detailing my vacancy just in case any of their staff are a bit unhappy at the moment and would like to work for me instead? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently it isn't just you Maz. :o We have just been given a huge pile of leaflets for the creche for children 3 months to 5 years in the Children's Centre that has opened up in the building opposite ours!!! They used to just take children while parents used the college the creche is in, now they will take all children, and have under cut us on price too!!! :(

Did the right thing and filed them in the recycling bin!!!! xD:(

My settiing is closeing down in sept and I am opening up under a new name - all the parents are delighted especially as the other two members are moving on xD and I have retained all the children - however my old manger turned up and my present manger made us hand out her flyers for her nursery a mile or so away :o

Some parents handed them back in disgust and others said 'thats straight for the recycling bin'!!

• 4 months later...

So at the risk of repeating myself, I've just popped into nursery during half term and brought back some post.

There's a letter from one of our local independent schools (co-ed for children between 3 and 18 years) asking us to display their poster/hand out flyers about their open morning because "some of your children might be old enough to take the next (or first) step in their education"!

Oh how mightly offended am I? Any advice about how I should word my email in response to their kind offer? :o

Maz

I know just how insulted you must feel Happymaz. A new childrens center nearby asked me to advertise their provision,a few months ago I refused to do it unless they could advertise mine. Nothing more said until the following week when I received a phone call from the manager asking me for an advertisement for my provision. Panic set in then I am lucky enough to have more than enough children.A few weeks ago I received yet more flyers to give which was a questionnaire and one of the questions was "DO YOU WANT GOOD QUALITY CHILDCARE" You can guess where they went. When I recived a call to say they were being collected they seemed amazed that I felt this way. I know we are all so good natured and kind and work for so little but do they think we are stupid as well.

The cheek of it!!

PS - where do the words go when you are typing away and then realise they have not come in the box cos you've not clicked on it?? If I tip the laptop up will they fall out of one of those slots in the side (heheheheheheehe) :oxD:( :( :( :wacko: xD

PS - where do the words go when you are typing away and then realise they have not come in the box cos you've not clicked on it?? If I tip the laptop up will they fall out of one of those slots in the side (heheheheheheehe) :oxD:( :( :( :wacko: xD

No Cait, I'm afraid they won't! Actually I think you'll find that another version of you is sitting at another laptop in a parallel universe typing those missing words on a screen right now. Of course in that world the average early years practitioner will be paid at least £20K a year (sessional hours), and the Government will have perfected the art of 'light touch' regulation of education. Ofsted are no longer seen as the 'big bad wolf' of early years but rather are the little red riding hood - turning up periodically with sustaining food to nourish everyone's physical and emotional wellbeing in order to celebrate how fantastic life is.

Nurse! Time for my medication... :rolleyes: