Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Car Crash

Talk about going out with a BANG. Yesterday my last day at preschool I decided to end our day with a concert in London.

Driving home on the M2, I had just passed a coach then the car suddenly pulled to the left, we think it may have been black ice. I reacted by stearing right which put the back of the car into a spin, we smashed straight into the central reservation. I always wondered what peoples last thoughts were, I really didn't think we were going to make it. As I steared right I said to hubby "I can't do anything", then as we approached the barrier ( what seemed lik slow motion) I thought 'Mums left at home with the kids ( 4 foster children), and 'this is going to hurt'. The car hit and I thought we would go straight through, I think I shut my eyes. Hubby just grabbed/hugged me. The car then continued spinning, clipped the back of the coach and came to a stop crossing two lanes. Hubby next thought was would we be hit by oncoming cars, thankfully we weren't. I just sat still, hubby got oiut a said burning rubber, so I thought 'turn off the ignition'. then GOT OUT THE CAR. I couldn't believe we had both walked away from this wreck. Hubby says that if we hadn't been driving a Mercedes (solid and strong) we may not have been so lucky. Other drivers were fantastic. It was at this time I discovered we had hit the rear of the coach, the coach driver was great, he gave me his jacket. Debri was across both carriageways. The police were great, wrapped me in tin foil and after about 20 mins let me sit in their car. It was freezing and I'd gone into shock. The tow truck then arrived, said they would take us to the yard with the car and we would have to get ourselves home ( about 20 miles) or he could take us home with the car but it would cost £200 :o . Which we did. Got home at 4am.

First thing Saturday morning we got phone calls because family and neighbours saw the car on our drive ( we didn't even think about this). My mum burst into tears when she saw me in the morning, bless her, she was so worried. The children kept telling us your car's broken, lik we didn't know, and our youngest aged 5 yrs told me she's going to buy me a new car, love her.

I remained in shock yesterday, kept thinking about the what if's.....worse scenario's, kept crying and was sick. Hubby was great looking after the kids and giving me some space. As I went to bed last night I told hubby that I would 'pull myself together' by today, to be truly thankful that we are both alright.

Thanks for 'listening' by writing this all down I can move on from it. Just want to say, please everyone be careful out there on the roads, I wasn't going too fast, and in a split second, black ice ( we think) can cause what could have been a tragedy.

My guardian angel was watching over us and I am going to certainly live my life with new appreciation of it, with my family.

Peggy

post-3604-1197805573_thumb.jpg

Blimey!! Thank goodness you're all ok, the car can be replaced, but you can't!!! What an awful thing to happen to you. You will be in shock for a while, so take things slowly and carefully ( we were 'rear-ended' on the M4 on the way to a marillion gig in January,it takes a while for the shock to click in and a while for it to clear off again!).....I hope life is a bit less fraught over the rest of christmas xx

Good to hear you both survived more or less unscathed Peggy, and are still with us and with your children. And good to hear that others around at the time were all so generous and sympathetic. When that sort of thing brings out the best in people it makes you realise humanity is actually not as bad as the press it's given!

Have a gentle day with your family and enjoy it with your re-vamped appreciation of them. :o

I was wondering how your last day went Peggy. Crikey, what a shock - I'm so relieved you are both okay. Your guardian angel was certainly watching over you - hope you're feeling better today.

Oooh Peggy, how awful for you....thank goodness that you're both OK. Look after yourself - my daughter and I were in an accident in September - head on like you - and my car was written off. Like you, we, and the other driver, were all able to walk away from it, relatively unscathed - and that is the most important thing! However, we ached for about a week afterwards. And three months on, although we were sure we'd put it behind us, my daughter and I both "freeze" whenever a car coming towards us seems to be even a tiny bit on our side of the road. So just take one day at a time and give yourself plenty of time to recover.

Thank Goodness your are ok Peggy. :o

I cried as I read the account of what happened, it makes you realise how quick things can happen.

I think it is really good of you to document the incident for therapeutic reasons and also to be able to share with friends.

We all think so much of you Peggy and send lots of virtual love and hugs - be as restful as possible with all those children - I expect they will help you to get over this incident.

Children and family are the best medicine, take care, lots of emotions whizzing around for you at the moment, try and keep a grip on things. xD

Edited by Guest

Guest MaryEMac

Oh my goodness Peggy,what an awful thing to happen. So glad that you are both okay. It's a horrible feeling, as I remember when someone ran into the side of us as we were pulling into our drive. Take it easy for a few days and enjoy time with your family, it's the best medicine.

Mary

It bought a tear to my eye too. I have never been in a situation like that Peggy, and cannot imagine what it must have been like. Atleast you are both ok - if not terribly shaken, and thank goodeness you weren't in the car on your own.

You are right - your guardian angel was watching over you.

Hi Peggy

So sorry to hear about what happened, it makes me shudder to think of what might have happened. As you say, your guardian angel was taking very great care of you that night.

I hope that over the next few days you will begin to feel better - but don't be too hard on yourself if it takes a while longer.

And I do hope you've got enough wrapping paper so that your daughter can wrap up that new car for you..!

Take care

Maz

Hi Peggy

So sorry to hear about what happened, it makes me shudder to think of what might have happened. As you say, your guardian angel was taking very great care of you that night.

I hope that over the next few days you will begin to feel better - but don't be too hard on yourself if it takes a while longer.

And I do hope you've got enough wrapping paper so that your daughter can wrap up that new car for you..!

Take care

Maz

Thanks maz, your replies always make me smile. :o

Peggy

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, I drove the children to an indoor play park this afternoon, feeling much more positive today although I have cancelled a planned drive to London on Wednesday, and other 'work' stuff I was going to do on Monday. It can all wait until the new year. :o

Thanks for letting me share, this forum is so supportive don't know wat I'd do without you all. xD

Peggy