Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tv Tonight - One To Watch?

sunnyday

Lets hope it looks at why the fees are rising rather than merely tell everyone they are.

Whenever the issue is raised in the media they never mention minimum wage, low wages, rent increases, insurance, resources,accountant fee's, training fee's... What have I left out? :o

only a couple of minutes gone and I am already fuming "they work so hard and have to pay sooo much for childcare...." What do we get out of it not even "thanks" anymore, I really am begining to feel like giving up. An if I hear anyone else say government should fund all 2 year old, okay if they pay DOUBLE the 3&4 year old funding then I'll take it as we have to double the staff.

fuming, fuming, fuming - what about our skilled workforce?

I found it a very interesting programme and, although like all of you I feel that the system is subsidised by those working in childcare, I don't think that the aim of the programme was about that side of things. It was about the costs of accessing childcare, the need for women in particular to be able to work, and as the lady who ran the PVI setting said, she certainly isn't in it for the money, and to provide good quality care costs!!

The programme was more aimed at the high cost of childcare, the desperate need for it and for it to be affordable. I don't think it came up with any answers really as the Government is already putting a lot of money into the EYs, and there still isn't enough locally based childcare in some areas.

It contrasted UK with Norway and their attitudes to the care of young children and the huge subsidy by Government the 'but' being that they pay much higher taxes over there. The ethos of the country means that they understand both the economic need for childcare, and the need to give young children really quality experiences, so no moan over spending on it. I hope the government on the Isle of Man were watching!

( What a fantastic nursery they showed!)

What an amazing example of a nursery in Norway. The gentleman who emigrated there to access cheaper childcare stated they (the Norwegians) were happy to pay more tax/NI etc to provide a better service to those who need to access things such as childcare. Norway is very dissimilar to the UK and there are massive differences.

As for doing sleepovers and weekends...I'm glad I'm in pre-school as none of my mature staff with families would show an interest in working extended hours.

Will watch this thread with interest,

Spiral :o

I found it a very interesting programme and, although like all of you I feel that the system is subsidised by those working in childcare, I don't think that the aim of the programme was about that side of things. It was about the costs of accessing childcare, the need for women in particular to be able to work, and as the lady who ran the PVI setting said, she certainly isn't in it for the money, and to provide good quality care costs!!

The programme was more aimed at the high cost of childcare, the desperate need for it and for it to be affordable. I don't think it came up with any answers really as the Government is already putting a lot of money into the EYs, and there still isn't enough locally based childcare in some areas.

It contrasted UK with Norway and their attitudes to the care of young children and the huge subsidy by Government the 'but' being that they pay much higher taxes over there. The ethos of the country means that they understand both the economic need for childcare, and the need to give young children really quality experiences, so no moan over spending on it. I hope the government on the Isle of Man were watching!

I'm in complete agreement with JacquieL's post.........I imagined that this programme would 'wind me up' - but no........perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age! :o

I have finally caught up to this programme, even though I now work at a primary school in key stage 1 and special needs school in key stage 1/2 class on 1:1 inclusion . I too am in agreement with this post, I imagined that this programme would just talk about the rising cost of childcare and not about the need for affordable childcare places.