Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

holiday pay

Hi

I've only started at my current setting after Easter this year. Its term time only. There are 3 staff plus me. They used to be paid weekly until November 2016 when they moved to monthly pay. The holiday pay being included in the monthy amount.

The staff have now told me that they want their holiday pay reconciled to included all extra hours done over the year ie 1/2 shopping, hour staff meeting. Do other people do this? One lady has done 4 x 1/2 hour shopping over the year? How would I work it out based on 4 weeks holiday pay.

Thank you

I don't think extra hours for things like shopping count toward holiday entitlement (whether that's ££ or hours). Are your staff meetings additional to your contracted hours?

If it were me, to keep it simple I would just pay the extra hours annually (or termly). I don;t think you can count ad hoc hours in the holiday calculation because they won't know how many additional hours they will have done until the end of the year and at that point it'd be too late to take the time - so I think I'd be paying the hourly rate as a lump sum.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick! If I have, then I suggest giving ACAS a call - they're excellent at making sure you don't make a silly mistake.

• Like 1

We are term time only so traditional they have had 4 weeks holiday pay in August. Now they are salaried they want me to work out the holiday pay on all extra hours worked and pay them the extra at the end of August. I have always only paid holiday pay on regular hours. Of course when I suggested that I should deduct holiday pay for ad hoc days off that didn't happen!

Hi

I've only started at my current setting after Easter this year. Its term time only. There are 3 staff plus me. They used to be paid weekly until November 2016 when they moved to monthly pay. The holiday pay being included in the monthy amount.

The staff have now told me that they want their holiday pay reconciled to included all extra hours done over the year ie 1/2 shopping, hour staff meeting. Do other people do this? One lady has done 4 x 1/2 hour shopping over the year? How would I work it out based on 4 weeks holiday pay.

Thank you

I am delighted to say that my staff wouldn't be so 'petty' :ph34r: I rely on a bit of goodwill and of course, I repay that - not with money though........I seriously cannot ever imagine my staff totting up time spent 'shopping'

Sorry I'm not being much help here - do you really need them to 'do shopping'?

• Like 4

I used to pay everyone one week above the minimum needed.. this was partly as a good will gesture for the hours I knew they did but never claimed for.. No one ever claimed time when they went shopping for us..

This also allowed us to ensure they were getting the holiday entitlement for extra hours worked.. some often did overtime and extra days but never asked for holiday pay to cover it..

• Like 2

I know I couldn't believe it either. I just do the shopping, I wouldn't dream of charging for getting it.

Thank you all, In my old setting we used to get an extra week to cover staff meetings etc but at my new one we can afford it. I wouldn't dream of asking them to attend courses, staff meetings unpaid.

I'm not sure if they would argue that it was voluntary or not. Even though we haven't got the money,