Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent saying no photos of child

Our Christmas party is on Wednesday - lots of parents and family members coming.We have always allowed them to take photos at the party with the understanding that they are not put on Facebook etc. This year one parent has said that she doesn't want anyone to take any photos with her child in them. This is given as an option on admission forms but she is the only one to ever have said no photos.

Has anyone had to deal with this before? While I respect this parent's wishes, how do I manage the situation without upsetting all the other parents? Do I have a blanket No Photos at all, or photos on playgroup camera only, although we're usually too busy to take many. Do I name the child and say no photos with this child? Do I keep this child and parent away from everyone else? HELP

How about only Playgroups camera and give it to this parent to take the photos if you are too busy, would she be happy to help out.? And now you know how difficult some things are to manage, perhaps remove that option, or at least re word that option on your policy for the future.

I would say no photos taken by parents then take a set on the setting's own camera, vet them and distribute copies via email.

If a parent has asked that their child not be photographed that must be respected without affecting how that child enjoys the party.

• Like 1

We have had it before, with a fostered child (twice actually). What we said was that the only photographs that may be taken are of their own children, unless they have the specific permission of the parent of another child. We ask that they are aware of children who may be in the background. We DO say that not all parents have given permission for photographs of their children, and ask them to respect this. We don't name the child. This all goes in a letter that parents sign, so they can't claim they don't know, and we remind at the start of the event too

Edited by Cait

To late now but maybe for next year- :1b

We've actually found it's a lot easier not to have parents at our parties now. (which I appreciate might not be possible if you have really high number on role).

For this year though- I would go with the above suggestions of you providing the settings cameras for parents to use, you then have control over what gets printed/sent xx

Edited by louby loo

if the party has members of the public at it ...it is going to be very hard for people to NOT take photos of this child....is there a valid reason that they are concerned? maybe you should suggest they don't come? seems a shame to spoil everyones fun for the sake of one persons objections!

You seem to imply that she didn't tick off no photots on the form ..so therfore imo she hasn't got a leg to stand on!

(sorry end of term itus....getting a bit grumpy!)

Yes, this is one of the main reasons for not having parents at parties! On reflection, I think I would be inclined to say that you cannot guarantee that people won't take pictures. It's impossible for you to 'police' it as you will be busy with the party. Does she want to still come and take the risk?

For us it depends on the reason. If the child is a 'looked after/chin etc' then we will take that as and when it happens, but we have before ensured that the child in particular is at the side and asked parents to take photos of their own child only.

Can you talk to mum? can you explain that even if a blurry image of their child is taken amongst the others where is she expecting it to go and what does she think could happen to it? Often it is parents misinterpreting the media hype.

We had a parent years ago who caused a fuss and we discreetly 'placed' their child at the back behind everyone, the child was unaware and the parent did not stand up and say 'no' when I asked if anyone was unhappy with parents taking photos.

Is it fair to exclude the other parents from having first nativity/Christmas photos?

Good luck,

Spiral :-)

We welcome parents to help at events but they are always treated as students, phones locked away in cupboard,made aware of confidentiality, no access to toilet areas. etc etc. Parents always accept this and we get lots of support from parents.I want the parents who cannot physically come and help to know that their child is safe.We always get lots of offers of help.We try to give each parent a specific job to do and there is usually no time to take photos anyway.

We have 3 end of term group shows when parents are allowed to use photography.If I have a child whose parents have refused photography they have a choice either can stand at the back out of view or swop their sessions.Its a shame when they video the whole thing because they are not watching the whole event just looking at their own child.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my post with advice. It turned out to be OK in the end. I emailed all parents to say that not all parents (rather than just one parent) had not agreed and would they all agree to only take photos with their child in and Playgroup would take lots of other photos and put them on their child's Tapestry page. There was no dissent from any parents and hardly any took photos but were pleased with what we put on their child's learning journey.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)