Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elearning Credits

Hi folks - don't let me down please . . .

2 Questions

1. Have got to use up my eLearning Credits (about £200 worth) - has anyone any good suggestions?

2. I have sent an email to Curriculum Online 2 weeks ago asking whether or not I can spend them on catalogue resources with the CO logo, even if the resource isn't advertised on the Curriculum Online website? - but had no reply. I had heard that eLcredits's could only be spent through what was actually recommended on the 'official' Curriculum Online website? Some magazines and catalogues advertise items with the logo, but they are not included on the website (eg Scholastic early years)

Does anyone know the answer? Will try emailing Curriculum Online again I think!

Thank you

We just buy items with the logo and tell the company we are buying from that we are using our credits.

Its surprising what different companys offer , If in doubt we telephone the company involved before buying.....

that said out early years team have said that they do not check what we spend it on just that we spend it ... :o

shhhhh... dont tell anyone they may decide to Audit it...... xD

Inge

I used our last lot of money on DVD's such as the festivals ones and some for supporting role play. I just felt we had too many computer programs.

I am trialling 2 Simple's program 2 Paint a Picture which I haven't used with the children yet but I have had a lovely play and found it really good.

Linda

Guest tinkerbell

DVD's auntie mabel are good for reception eg Food , NaturalMaterials, the Festivals DVDs 1&2

Digital blue movie makers,Bee bots,

I would like to get a couple of remote control cars

Tinkerbellx

Anything by 2Simple that you haven't got. Especially 2Simple Infant Video Toolkit, 2Paint a Picture as already mentioned. Possibly 2Create a Story (top of FS).

Our children like:

At the Doctors

Leaps and Bounds

Musical Leaps and Bounds (very popular)

Have been recommended Smart Alex for emotions/expressions

Festivals 1 DVD

Dazzle

There's a maths one with a tractor and trailer intro and a Scottish accent but the name escapes me tonight.

We have our ELC to spend too.

One company I spoke to had some very helpful suggestions as to what the ELC could be spent on :o . If you PM me I'll let you know who they were.

Well they do check in Cheshire!!!

Thanks Andreamay - Being in Cheshire I know that they will check!- would love to buy some resources I've seen with the logo, but they're not on the CO website.

Thanks everyone for your ideas - will start browsing soon.

Just come back from a staff meeting where we have discussed e-credits. the staff were wondering if anyone does allow you to use them in any way for anything other than software and d.v.d/videos. I did say that they were for software only but maybe someone knows more than me.

Technically they are just for items diaplaying the curriculum online logo ..this can be with any company and any item which is advertised as suitable....

In reality it depends on how your authority checks what you spend it on... Others show they have to show that it is spent corretly ours ...Shhhhhhh...... doesnt check mainly because they realise items which promore ICT in early years are often things like telephones, electronic toys and games as much as software. Not items always on 'the list' but very suitable to Early Years.

(that said we do spend ours on suitable products )

Inge

Just come back from a staff meeting where we have discussed e-credits. the staff were wondering if anyone does allow you to use them in any way for anything other than software and d.v.d/videos

One company I spoke to said they could be very HELPFUL when I phoned them about our E-Learning credits. I haven't got round to doing it yet though. If you send me a private message I will give you the details.

• 9 months later...

I'd like to recommend Screen Learning's smart cat games. It's a suite of 13 games that the children play independently and they assess against the foundation stage profile. The children in my class love them, they're really good fun and it gives a huge range of data which can be used to plan learning or observations as well as provide one of your bits of evidence for a huge range of profile areas

you can sign up for a trial at

http://www.screenlearning.com

these drive me mad - have software coming out of our ears - what we need is hardware laptop, printers usbs etc........................and have another £400 to spend!!!!!!

I agree with you hali...and I don't mean to sound ungreatful but I have just received the order from the 200.00 just spent and I did spend it one more software......I would really like to buy something else i.e. digital camera, another laptop etc but not sure if this would be acceptable.

no it has to be spent on software not hardware - riduculous!! xD

Hali completely agree with you on that one. What's the point of having a huge library of cd roms if your computer is unreliable. We would have much preferred the money to go to a new computer (not ungrateful tho!). Oh well we can live in the hope that our parents can collect 100 million tesco for computer vouchers! :o

We have just recieved a cheque for ELCredits today. We have been given £3.40 for each 3 and 4 year old getting funding last summer term. How much does your lea give per child? Im sure it was a lot more last year. The problem I have is my computer has been upgraded and all my old favourite cds dont work on it. Perhaps they may be of use to some of you!

Just to say, use your elearning credits before they stop!

Some companies let you purchase other items eg I have heard that TTS lets you "have" a BeeBot when you buy the software with elearning credits.

Also I LOVE 2Simple and have used 2Create a Story with nursery. They draw the picture, have a go at writing and an adult can scribe if the child wants. They love the animations and sound effects and it works really well on an Interactive Whiteboard - my other love! :o

Have just caught up with this thread and it reminded me that we had some ecredits one year [ we're preschool] but nothing since. I'd heard they were stopping but I'm wondering if I should have been given some, and if so who should I contact before it's too late? We have about 25 funded children so I wonder if our LEA have been remisce in not letting us know our eligibility!

Weightman, we have a similar number of children to you (mix of funded and unfunded mind you) and recently received notification that £55 had been credited to our account by the LEA. Suggest you speak to the advisory service for more info. Didn't know that it was supposed to be stopping tho.

Thanks for that, LJW. I phoned them and basically neither they nor the people who organise our training knew the answer. I had the impression that the y had never heard of elearning credits! That might explain why we haven't been offered any! So now someone from the training side is going to ask the question on my behalf.

Weightman, we have a similar number of children to you (mix of funded and unfunded mind you) and recently received notification that £55 had been credited to our account by the LEA. Suggest you speak to the advisory service for more info. Didn't know that it was supposed to be stopping tho.

We have been told this is the last year of these

Inge

The amount of money per child has been drastically reduced and this is the last year.

You can also use your money to buy DVD's such as the Early Vision series Let's play and learn. If you take a look at Pink Cow's website it tells you what you can use the credits for.

Linda

arroradawn, this is the reply i got from TTS...

Hi Alison

It is a fact that you may only purchase software with e-learning credits. Sorry.

Kind regards

Mandy Hooley

xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure:

that told me then! :o

It is a fact that you may only purchase software with e-learning credits. Sorry.

But I just read in this month's Nursery Education that you can now pay for your subscription using Elearning credits. Or was that a Bobby Ewing coming out of the shower moment?

Am just going off to check!

Maz

PS: just checked - it definitely says you can use eLCs to pay for your subscription. go to:-

www.scholastic.co.uk/nurseryedplus

(I just tried but got a 'service temporarily unavailable' message)...

Edited by HappyMaz

Can anybody advise what to do when your Birth To Five Service doesn't know about these and can't answer your questions? We've only ever been offered them one year, and the people we dealt with then no longer 'exist' as so many name changes have taken place. I've drawn a blank with everyone I've asked!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)