Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making A Pentagon Den

How_To_Make_A_Pentagon_Den.docHave posted this on the general topics forum and also the patterns one but it seems quite popular so I've put it here too!!!

I recently went on a course entitled 'VISUAL ARTS INSPIRED BY REGGIO EMILIA'. It was simply amazing and I'd like to share a fantastic activity with you. With any luck I've successfully attached it to this post! If not let me know.

Its a pentagon den which you can make on any scale using anything from art straws to 8ft bamboo canes (did this, wouldn't recommend it for a fist though!!)

They are really easy to make once you get the gist of it and the opportunities are endless!!

I dare you to make one!!

Lucy x

I made one at the end of last summer. The children decorated it with strips of plastic bags and parachute material but I was a bit cheapskate with the dowelling I used and made it too small for them to play in easily. Also the dowelling I used was too thin and two of the struts broke, replacing them wasn't easy.

So we're going to make another one, a bigger one with stouter dowelling. Because this is the most brilliant den in the world. :)

• 2 weeks later...
How_To_Make_A_Pentagon_Den.docHave posted this on the general topics forum and also the patterns one but it seems quite popular so I've put it here too!!!

I recently went on a course entitled 'VISUAL ARTS INSPIRED BY REGGIO EMILIA'. It was simply amazing and I'd like to share a fantastic activity with you. With any luck I've successfully attached it to this post! If not let me know.

Its a pentagon den which you can make on any scale using anything from art straws to 8ft bamboo canes (did this, wouldn't recommend it for a fist though!!)

They are really easy to make once you get the gist of it and the opportunities are endless!!

I dare you to make one!!

Lucy x

We made one at Dudley college last year on the play train. It was a great success and have wanted to make one myself. we covered ours in those silver blankets that you wrap people in to keep them warm, then hung mobiles inside, it was great fun.

Kerry

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this: I want one! Have saved it away and will send to my deputy supervisor to see if she can work out how to get it into our cupboard every night!

Maz

• 3 years later...
Thanks for this: I want one! Have saved it away and will send to my deputy supervisor to see if she can work out how to get it into our cupboard every night!

Maz

I love it, I am going to go out tomorrow to buy the canes and then get my husband to put it together for me. Can not wait to see the children's faces!! Thank you for a good idea

We made one and there's some photos in the gallery - it was tremendous fun and I'd like to do it again and so I'm hoping someone expresses an interest!!

Why are you getting your husband to put it together for you? The children did it under my instruction and that was part of the fun! Don't deny them the learning that goes with construction - mine were 3 year olds and one 4 year old when we did it. There's no way he'll be able to do it by himself anyway, it took all 6 of us (myself and 5 most capable children)

quick edit to say - how spooky - just looked at the photos and it was Feb 8th 2009 when I uploaded them - must be the time of year for it!

Edited by Cait

so pleased ..one of my children has been into dens this week when i asked her what else we could make a den from she said sticks ( id didnt say anything i promise! :( ) so now i have a legitimate excuse to give this a go!!!! :( aaah the joy of child led planning xD:o

Edited by finleysmaid

er - weather? You planning on doing it outside then I take it! hehe

pictures

Yeah, not enough room in my classroom. And it'll be a good excuse to spend all day outside when (if!) the sun comes out :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)