Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multicultural Welcome Posters

Hi. I have been asked to update our multicultural area in the pre-school as most of the resources belong to the current manager who is planning to take them to our new setting.

I want to make small-ish sized flags with the word 'Welcome' in that language, but don't know where to find the correct translations for the word. Any ideas where I could find this please?

Thanks in advance! :D

Edited by Clare

Guest Wolfie

This might be a silly question but have you got any parents who could help you? We did a display in our entrance area with a map of the world showing where all the children at our nursery come from - our children speak 23 different languages! - and we asked some of the parents who speak the different languages to write welcome in their language for us on coloured card that we gave them and displayed them round the map with ribbons to the country it represented.

The display was great and the parents loved contributing to it. Just an idea if it's appropriate to your nursery?

That sounds like a nice idea Wolfie. Only trouble is, all of our children speak English and are of British origin, with the exception of one child. I will keep it in mind though, for future reference!

Thanks for your replies, brilliant as always!

Guest Wolfie

I thought you might say that Clare! I think we're really lucky where we are - at every other nursery/pre-school setting where I've ever worked, issues of multicuturalism have always been "theoretical" and it's lovely to work somewhere where it's all put into practice! :)

Inge - what a site - I have nearly exhausted by printer and look out laminator - here I come!

Thanks so much for sharing.

really cannot take any credit for that one without saying I actually found the link on this site so am just sharing again.

thank you any way and to who ever posted it originally

Inge

Thanks Tinkerbell,

thats a really good site, ive just passed it on to a few friends too.

It would be great if we could just request themed posters and then go back and get them, and at £2 a set, think of the time we would save instead of doing them ourselves! :)

• 4 weeks later...

There's a similar site www.sparklebox.com whic has great, free resources too, with many aimed at younger children (hurrah!) :D

you could widen it out so it's not just a display - could you do an audit of your areas to see if there are opportunities for using resources/input that counter stereotypical views, eg cooking should have a balance of foods from different cultures, role play can support this - e.g. showing children how an african/caribbean mother might carry her baby in a wrap and giving them fabric strips to do it themselves or having cooking utensils from different cultures as a permanent choice not just chopsticks at new year, do story books have positive images of black and ethnic minority children who have lead roles, are posters and pictures chosen to promote positive images of ethnic minority groups? Do you have dolls etc that are black as well as white......the list is endless!

CX

• 7 months later...

Hi

I went on a workshop with The Equal Opp Shop and they told us how to say hello in 25 languages ina fun way as an ice breaker. Heres a few more for the list

Jambo - Kenya

Salam aly kim - Saudi

Goeie More - South Africa

Heh re teh - Greek

Zorah Stooy tyeh - Russian

Na mas tey - Indian

We had fun doing it and they sell poster on there site. Google them for address

Thanks

Heidihi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)