Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Headlice

Help..... I've got headlice in all tens years of working with children never caught them before, have combed my hair through and found about 9 hoping I've got them all!! is this all I need to do? or do I need to treat my hair as well? what's best to use? any advice greatly appreciated feel horrible!! : You can stop scratching your heads now.

Previous discussion ( one of many others :o )

scroll down to post 5 'Inge' the bug busting link gives good advice for various ways to treat these pesky visitors.

Must admit, I haven't had them in the 20 years I've been in childcare, but, never say never, I suppose xD

headlice topic

Good luck

Peggy

just remembered I informed a parent the other week about her daughters 'visitors' and she said " Oh no, she shouldn't have got them because I haven't been washing her hair because I know they only like clean hair" :oxD

Peggy

Jo Jo, I may get shouted down for saying this but you'll feel a lot better if you treat your hair with one of the chemical preparations available! Go to Boots and have a chat with them. My daughter had them (again!) last summer and the pharmacist at Boots said that advice is coming full circle and the use of lotions, etc. is on the increase.

I've had them a couple of times, tried to resist using a lotion for a while but gave in eventually because I knew I'd feel more confident that I'd got them all! :o I know chemicals aren't good news for your scalp and am ready now to be shot down in flames!

Oh, and you will think your head is itching for weeks even when you've got rid of them, it's just paranoia!! :)

I dont think its that the chemicals don't work they do kill any live lice but then the eggs hatch and re infest so probably the best way is to use the treatment and comb later to remove the eggs. I have one of those electronic combs not sure if they work but I have never had head lice even as a child. I should add I get the school nurse to check my hair when she's in especially if Im going to the hairdressers as Im paranoid about getting thrown out half way through a haircut :o

Ok so its not the way to win friends method, but it worked for my daughter who had them consistently between he ages of 9-11. She would just be clear every holiday and hey presto, back again within 2/3 weeks of being back at school. We tried pretty much everything, sitting up hours combing through conditioner, stuff from the chemist, tea tree, and nothing really stopped her getting them again once she was back at school. She had really long very thick hair so you can imagine the torment. I read about garlic and tried it, she never had them again. You have to rub the neat cloves (cut) into the scalp and leave it on overnight (hence the not winning any friends) but it really did seem to work. They just don't like garlic!!

Saw a recent discussion on this on TV and they advocated wet combing with conditioner as best way,she did recommend a metal comb rather than plastic, not sure why though.

as said chemicals kill the live ones but any eggs left hatch and they can reinfest you. Also often resistant to them, so ineffective,

One thing that I found interesting is that these days use of hair straighteners can kill the live lice and eggs , and can help in any treatment, suppose the heat kills them. lets all sizzle them. :D

Must admit never had them myself again 20 + yrs in early years, son had them regularly though as he had such short hair we could see them immediately and comb out, he used to go to school clear and often had some on him when he got home.

we have regular checks of staff each week , checking each other to keep it monitored.

Inge

I remember one winter's evening... real fire burning in the grate...romantic film on the telly....bottle of red wine open, being comsumed by my husband and I......and me sitting on the floor whilst he went through my hair to check that I'd got rid of all the headlice!!!! :oxD:(

Love is..........? :D

Thanks everyone,

from the information I just read I only found recently hatched lice so I'm hoping they haven't layed any eggs will comb hair again tomorrow. If there's more will get some kind of treatment from the chemist. Hoping I never catch them again always wear my hair up at work, one parent informed me her child had had them this week but she is the only one so it's not like we were having an epedemic! glad it's half term, at least I wont catch them again for a while!!

try a nitty gritty comb instead of the usual plastic or other metal ones...........................my daughter had them and we couldn't BELIEVE how many eggs/lice we got out with this comb...it's expensive, but it's absolutely brilliant!!............and you can get it free for children on prescription from doctor, health visitor or practice nurse.you can also get it on prescription for adults, and thats cheaper than buying it!

Oh I do sympathise, have had them at pre-school this last couple of weeks, We all laughed because as soon as you say the head lice everybody scratched. have only had it once in nearly 20 years and got that from my son who luckily only had it once. thank goodness for crew cuts.

Dear Jo Jo,

I understand how you feel. I had some last year, for the first time in my life. The first time, they were dead nits... so I don't know how that came... but in December. Oh, it was horrible... that itching!

I went to my GP and he said that the best treatment is just a very good hairconditioner, since when you use a medical treatment you only make the lice/nits stronger. I used the hairconditioner and it worked marvels! I had to use it every day for around 10 days (less in my case)... until you wouldn't find any more nits. You have to take every inch/cm of your hair. Somedays I thought I wouldn't find anymore... but yes. So, keep going until you are completely sure. I used a very fine comb that you can buy at the chemist.

It takes time and it might seem annoying, but it is the best thing. At the end, your hair ends up even prettier :o .

Best wishes!

I have just recently been told that neat listerine mouthwash is very good for killing nits. In all the many years that I have been looking after children I have never caught them so I can't try out the remedy. I have been in contact with loads though.( I have come from the era of the nit nurse) Two of my grandchildren were for ever catching them but now they are older and they use many products on their hair they don't seem to catch them. I've often wondered what would happen to nits if they were sprayed with hair lacquer. OOPs I maybe trying out the listerine as I can't type for scratching.

Our staff are very quick at noticing this and we will ensure parent is aware if we do find them on a child.

we do not exclude but ensure all parents are aware of the need to check hair, which we ask them to do regularly anyway, we did have a long spate of these a while ago and eventually decided to remove the hats from the setting, not sure if it was the reason but we did have a big reduction after this.

If it is prolonged we will give a leaflet to all parents with what to do, look for etc, a parent put one together from various sources with pictures on, sorry cannot attach.

Inge

We ask parents to inform us if their child has headlice and would quietly inform a parent if we noticed a child had head lice or was scratching. we then send out a note to all parents saying there has been a report of headlice in the unit and just to remind them of the importance of regular checking. We have in the past handed out nit combs to all parents in the school following a particularly bad and prolonged infestation

We put out a general note, or a note on the board asking everyone to check their child's hair. We don't speak to parents individually.

I found the product with NEEM in it very good for my daughter and after her hair cut to her shoulders.

last year we had a child whom always had head lice, we done all the things you do normally like a big notice, news letters with up todate info in them and so on. I spoke to the child's mother whom was very off about it but i thought that the problem would now be solved. NO SUCH LUCK!!! time and time again the child would be reinfested and each time i would speak to the mother, in the end the mother was so mad at me like it was my fault. The sad thing was that the other parents when helping on snack bar had noticed them in her hair and they were all getting concerned about their children playing with her. We got some tea tree oil and watered it down in a small spray bottle, placed it on the table with a note saying please feel free to use this spray it may help to prevent the spread of head lice. I was in a no win situation the mother refused to admit the problem (although i removed three lice and stuck them on some paper with sellotape to show her!!), the children were keeping their distance from the child and the other parents wanted to know what i was doing about it! What can you do? (See when the child starts school and hope it is sooner than you first thought!!) It is nearly a year on and the child is now at school and still has the problem. I kicked off a bit of a debate last time on this subject, is a CONSTANT infestation a form of neglect? I do not intend to upset every one or any one who like me treats, combs, scrapes, ties up, hairsprays, cuts off and works dam hard to get rid of these creatures from their hair, the childs and other family members yet they just keep on coming back for more. But what do you think could it be neglect?

I think you may find that this, in isolation, would probably not be treated as neglect. It's important to remember not to apply your own standards to everyone. It's annoying for you and maybe irresponsible on the part of the parent/carer, but they may be struggling to control the situation and trying everything they can - I'm sure you've noticed some children can be more prone that others?

Other than that, I've no idea how to help, other than those comments already offered.

Sue

And the expression "feeling lousy" dervives from head lice infestation.

Although I agree with Sue about not judging someone against your own standards, in my last school the head did consider the neglect issue with one family where the children were continually affected. Cant remember the outcome but as my gut reaction is 'yes, it could be', perhaps she was able to report and sort it that way?

Susan,

Yes, if this were (is it??) a situation wherein siblings were continually affected, then the neglect thing might be a different kettle of lice (as it were !! :o )

Keep us informed, please - my curiosity is aroused!

Sue

I had a child last year where we took this route with her mum (more of a threat to make her realise the seriousness of the problem and not sure what would have happened had she not decided to co operate ) because mum was ignoring the problem with the excuse her child hated having her hair combed. We enlisted the support of the school nurse who made home visits to show mum how to treat the problem and did the first two treatments then did return visits to make sure that the problem was resolved.

I use 'Full Marks' on my daughter, you can buy it in Boots. Really good (itch, itch) kills eggs and the nits! (scratch scratch)

0ther than that I use the nitty gritty comb (itch, itch) every week with conditioner (scratch scratch) to keep the buggers at bay!

Haven't had them for ages since using 'Full Marks' :D

I agree with Sue R's comment re: neglect. I would need to observe other factors additional to constant infestation, to take this any further, but definately need to keep an eye on it.

Some Children do hate having hair done and it can be a real 'trial' at home. I have in the past actually talked to the children about asking their parents to get rid of the visitors, especially when I can see the child scratching a lot, just telling them mum or dad can do something about it helps them to understand the benefits of having their hair done. :D and who better to 'pressurise' the parents than the child. xD

Peggy

maybe you could set it as maths homework, How many found today......

a weekly graph showing the reduction of numbers.... :o:(

KUW sense of time :(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)