Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eric Carle

Hi. I was looking last night at the official Eric Carle website (you can find it here by the way)

I never knew the Hungry Caterpillar and Brown bear were written in the 1960s!!

I also wasn't aware of half the books, but one that particularly caught my attention was 'panda bear panda bear what do you see?'. Has anyone ever used it?

The other one that caught my eye was 'draw me star'..I don't know that one either. (showing my ignorance here). Anyone used that one recently?

Now I'm beginning to wonder why you cant buy and eric carle collection...

I love all the Eric Carle books and my children do as well, they are firm favourites of my three year old at bedtime. The 'panda bear' one is lovely as it focuses on different endagered species.

The only collection of sorts I've ever come across is the Dvd of The Very Hungry Caterpillar which also includes the stories ; Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me, The Very Quiet Cricket, The Mixed Up Chameleon and I See A Song. This is fantastic and at £3.97 from good old Woolies a bargain :o .

Karrie

My daughter's favourite was always the very busy spider but you are right there are so many books that for some reason aren't generally seen on the shelves.

As well as Brown Bear and Panda Bear there is Polar Bear Polar Bear which we have used this term

Yes some I didn't know but agree Sue that Mr. Seahorse is rely really wonderful. I'm glad you reminded me of it I must order it for my grandchildren.

Once we looked at some of Eric Carle's books with the children. I think we must have been doing the 10 Little Rubber Ducks. ( That was fantastic too the children wanted a role-play duck factory) The children painted large sheets of good quality white paper with cromar mixed with a small amount of Marvin. They used large brushes and pattern makers. Each sheet was a different colour. When they dried they looked like Eric Carles painted picture style. We cut them up into squares in a size big enough to be useful but small enough for the children to handle and cut out. We put them in the Art workshop and encouraged them to use them for their own collage pictures in the style of Eric Carle. They were really fantastic, very individual and very effective.

hey thanks Everyone. Sue, Mr Seahorse was another one I saw but didnt know.

Love the idea jacquie, although we don't stretch to Cromer, but Im very adaptable.

Smiley thanks for that link.

There aren't many of these books on ebay, ooops I can feel an Amazon spend coming on... (oh dear...)

I know what you mean there, mundia!

Amazon have a little trick of sending info of books you 'might be interested in'.........Then I have to skulk around in the hope of waylaying postie before my husband realises what I've been up to!

Sue

Gasp Liz!!! I'd always assumed you were MUCH younger! What an admission to make xD Personally I've just had my birthday .. 21 again. That's why I teach reception ... they believe you, despite the wrinkles :o

Harricroft xx

Ha ha ha! It's true about Reception, except they also think because I'm tall I'm older too, and as for being a generously proportioned lady they seem to think I've been around for ages - well I must have been to have got so big! :o

• 4 months later...

Eric Carle is heavily copy-right protected becareful with resources you create

Edited by Guest

Some years ago I started collecting Eric Carle books for my children, picking them up in charity shops etc when I found them. 2 of my favourites are below and yes, they are popular at Nursery too. The Honeybee one is still robust enough for the children to use the moving tags and make the bear scratch his nose, the bee fly and things like that!

The Honeybee and the Robber, 1981

A brave little honeybee saves the day when a big hungry bear attacks the beehive. Ingenious pop-ups and other movable images bring this funny and informative story to vivid life.

A House for Hermit Crab, 1987

An underwater fantasy based on the true habits of hermit crabs and the flora and fauna of their marine environment, this book offers young readers an interesting first introduction to marine biology as well as an appealing story of Hermit Crab’s search for a house he can really call his home, as he grows throughout one year’s cycle.

Might fish them out for the last week of term now, especially the hermit crab, and take in my shell collection to stimulate their imaginations...... what with the holidays coming up!!!

Thanks for the great link. I must try and extend my collection now but wow, there are sooooo many!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)