Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Best Fundraiser

Hi all,

Just had a committeee meeting and raised the most ever money out of fundraising last year over £4000.... xD

Half of this was though our auction which we do every few years...obviously committee would like to make sure we raise this sort of amount again this year, but we do not want to do an aution. :o

we do all the usual like summer and christmas fete, sponsored events etc, but i would like to know what is your biggest fundraiser that you do, that raises the most money? :)

Our sponsored walk did well, fancy dress papers involved and we are lucky enough to use a sea fromnt prom for it so lots of interest from passers by and holiday makers helped!

sponsored find also works well ( children have to find set number of items and stick it on a sheet, we do 20but need not be as many)particularly if you choose the right time when children will be seeing relatives etc over a holiday period, can be done by all, very little prep needed, parents liked it as it could be done at home and needed no attendance at an event, which is where we have the problems.

did a treasure hunt at xmas, big santa as a prize just put names in squares at a pound a time when all full envelope with pre-chosen square opened for winner. ( our problem was as Santa was 3 feet high everyone said I will enter but please don't let me win!) he did go to a good home though. riased 70.00 for an outlay of 3.50 (Santa bought in sales previous year!! I do think ahead a bit already have snowman at same outlay for next year :o Son hates sleeping in room with eyes staring at him when he comes home xD gives him nightmares :( )

Always looking for ideas so will be interested in this one

Inge

In my setting once a year the children have chance to participate in an event (parents have to agree they want their child to join in via a slip) where they get a set amount of money, let's say £1 and they have the challenge set of trying to turn the £1 into as much money as they can in creative ways e.g. they might choose to buy baking stuff and make/sell cakes, buy beans and have a bath in them...whatever their family chooses to do, older children can do it more independently. It is amazing what they come up with. When the children are given the set amount, the parents sign to say that they will return the money if they decide not to go ahead with any activities, most do return it. Cash prizes are given which is a massive incentive the winner who raises the most money gets half of what they raise then there are smaller value prizes £10 £5, whatever you decide really. There is also a token prize for the most original idea/best idea which could be something like an art set..it gets everyone going and raises loads!

Wow Kermit, that's a new one for me, sounds great. Reminds me of my local radio station who did something similar; started with one item and got people to bid a swap for it, the original item was something quite small and 'grew' to something quite expensive like a holiday. :D

Peggy

I think the best one we did was 'how many items can you fit into a match box'. We provided the match boxes and they had to find sponsors. You might want to give guidlines, such as 'no grains of sand', 'bits of fluff' or duplicates in any box. And engage an army of volunteer counters before they see what they have to count :o

Sponsor events were usually the best whatever they were for, but all the better if the children had to participate :)

Another thing which surprisingly raised a load was, instead of selling tea and cakes we asked for donations, we made more than double the same time the previous year. :)

Kermit, I'll remeber that one :D

An idea that raised £260 - I wrote a small paragraph in bubble writing (using 260 letters) informing parents of what we wanted to buy. The children coloured in one letter for £1 and over a period of a half term, they coloured in the 260 letters - easy - no outlay :D:D:D

Sue J

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add our fund raising ideas to the pot!!!

We send out a sheet to families/carers with a list of 20 events i.e. swim with dolphins, ride in a police car, fly in a plane, eat chinese food etc, etc etc. If a family member has done any of the things on the list they pay 50p for each one and sign their name next to it!!! It works every time with 40 children on the roll we raised approx £400 with very little outlay or effort. We also offer a prize for the child who raises the most money!!

give it a whirl

Julie

Edited by Guest

We used to give out tubes of Smarties. The children ate the smarties then filled the tube with coins and returned. If we were lucky they used £1s! I seem to remember a tube held 20. Course they're not in tubes now :o

We raised a lot with a sponsored sound bag. Each child given a bag (donated by local shop) with a tag on with a letter or 2 (sh. th etc) at random, we left out the more tricky letters and they were asked to get as many items as they could starting with that sound (although being preschool, the parents did it and it wasn't the sound, it was the letter xD but anyway!)

We raise money with tickets and programmes at Nativity, Tempest Photos and Book club and in years gone by we have run a 100 club.

Raffles are good but there are rules...

Indulgence evening? Get people in to do Virgin Vie, Body Shop etc and to give the commission to the group in cash - or as we are doing, in products to use as raffle prizes!

we are thinking of doing an easter funday. Partly to raise a bit of money and partly advertising! We are going to have face painting, easter craft to make, raffle, lucky dip etc. We will also probably ask virgin vie and a few others to come as well. In the past we have done a sponsored walk that raised £400. It was a PLA one and half the money went to their charity to help a child and the pre-school kept the other half. As it was their first sponsored walk and they aren't bombarded for fundraising like they are at our schools, parents were really generous.

Guest MaryEMac

We are having a prize Easter Bingo. We ask parents to donate some canned goods so that we can make up hampers, ask local businesses, pubs for prizes and write to national companies for prizes. In the past we haved raised at least £600. We have had Andrex puppies, Campbells canned foods, Avon toiletries and loads of family tickets to Sealife centre and farm parks in our area. Last year Peterborough Football club donated 2 family stand tickets. I usually end up winning what I have donated :o

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

maybe not a best fund-raiser but it takes very little effort and each year we increase the income from this as parents find it a good deal.

opps forgot to say what it is,

live in

Bristol Bath and West

Birmingham, Solihull, West Midlands

Cardiff Newport and South Wales

Coventry and Warwickshire

Invitation books

we give these to parents and they buy books, we get commission for everyone sold. 2nd year of doing this and sold more each year as people hear about them and come in to buy one even if nothing to do with he setting, savings can be really good with the vouchers.

Inge

Just to add our fund raising ideas to the pot!!!

We send out a sheet to families/carers with a list of 20 events i.e. swim with dolphins, ride in a police car, fly in a plane, eat chinese food etc, etc etc. If a family member has done any of the things on the list they pay 50p for each one and sign their name next to it!!! It works every time with 40 children on the roll we raised approx £400 with very little outlay or effort. We also offer a prize for the child who raises the most money!!

give it a whirl

Julie

Julie, I am really smitten with this idea :o Don't suppose you have a bigger list of events that you could share???! Sorry to be so cheeky! :):) but it would really help!

:( We have found the best fundraiser at Easter time is a sponsored bunny bounce. The children and staff all get to make rabbit ears and have their face painted. £820 profit and no outlay, providing you have a trampoline or hopper! Each child receives a sponsor form in the usual format, families and friends sponsor the child for an amount per bounce. The children get 1 minute to bounce. It's amazing how many people under estimate just how many bounces they can manage. :oxD:( Go one give it a try. Its fun and good exercise too.

Hello all

sort of related topic, does anyone remember being at school, long time ago, and being given little books with a childs face on each page and I think you tore out the page for 5p - 25p can't remember the amount but I always felt uncomfortable thinking about the children! Was it bannados? Just reminising.

sqpeg

Hi sqpeg, I remember those from when I was in high school....oh my god 27 years ago!!!!!! As year prefects we were made to trudge around all our years 10 classrooms persuading our peers to part with their money. I also remember the head of year demanding to know who hadn't 'bought' one so she could make them see the errors of their ways! But I can't remember if it was Barnardos or Oxfam.

Karrie

we did a treasure hunt the children were each sponsored to find items at home eg something square a seed a piece of newspaper something round a stamp something yellow a penny they had 12 items to find a stick onto their sheet they were sponsored per item its fun for them to go hunting for the various objects

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know that we have just raised over £400 by sending out cut out heart shapes and a sponsor form, the children had to fill the heart with as many pictures of things they love and friends and family sponsor them! Only half of our children actually participated but still £400 is pretty good. Two committee members went off this morning to spend the funds! I cant wait to see what they bought!!!

We had a disco on Saturday for current and past children. Over 50 children turned up, one of our friends is a dj and gave his time for free. There were a few party games, refreshments, and facepainting - very simple stuff and we raised £130 in an hour and a half! Little effort but maximum results - plus it was great fun and lovely to see some old faces! We will be doing this again very soon!

Guest tinkerbell

What amazing ideas

Our biggest fund raiser is the Christmas hampers and star prize DVD recorder or TV.

Tomorrow my class is making red sandwiches,raspberry,strawberry,cheese and tomato to sell to the rest of the school at morning play time.Class 2 Tuesday ..red jellies. Class3 Wednesday...red slush puppies.Class 4 Thursday flapjacks with red cherry noses....children are allowed to bring up to 50p max each day...all for comic relief.

We do a 100 club

On wednesday a hairdresser and his team of 4 are doing a ladies night! (he's a parent so all profit!!!) havent done this before so will let you know.

I can remember those books of childrens photos and so can my hubby ,he thinks it was Barnardos?

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)