Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poverty! Comments And Coversation...

mundia

First and foremost if you have arrived here to join in the 'make a stand' event then please pop along here

make a stand NOW

Had I been marginally more organised, Id have started this off at the same time, aplogies for the delay.

This thread is for anyone who wishes to cooment on, debate, find out more, ask questiosn etc about the make a stand campaign. If you are running an event in your setting, otr you have taken photos of yourselves standing up here in FSF land, then please add them, here!!

More the merrier thats what I say.

Ok So Ill go first....

So why am I so passionate about this?

I lived in Zambia for 4 years, Zambia being one of te very poorest nations in the world. I worked amongst people who frequently went without food, and in tmes of drought in the early 1990s, many of the community in which we lived lost family members, many of them children, to lack of food, medicine, poor sanitataion etc. The memory of funeral after funeral, especially of children is firmly etched on my memory. This is the 21st century, and yet million sof children worldwide still die before the age of 5 bacuse of hunger, lack of clean water and access to health facilities.

This should not be happening. It is the repsonsibility of all of all to have a voice.. and make that stand..

yesterday I was at a make a stand event in Birmingham. It was quite a small gathering given the size of birmingham, but nevertheless made a fair bit of noise. Il attch some photos shortly.

The local authority intend to surround each and every lampost in Birmingham with a white band on the 17th which is World Poverty day.. If you havent dug out your white band or made one, the please do. I guess I can see what Il be doing tomorw evening then...

good thanks marion, fancy taking a pic?

Yes so far we have had guests from Australia, Iraq and USA, thats just the ones who have said where theya re from..

Im trying to attach a couple of photos but Im afriad the technology eludes me. help anyone?

Im hoping to get a picture or 2 of the children at school with their giant band and hopefully will attach.

Have you downloaded the pictures to your pc?

If you then go to add attachments and browse you should be able to attach

Hi Mundia.

I have been busy ringing round my family and friends all trying to enlist their help. My parents, brother, cousin and my brother's friend have so far all made the pledge to stand up and be counted here.

I have sent about 50 Messages in bottles from the site I discovered a little while back and I have posted on every forum I have ever visited to try and send people this way.

You've done so well during your campaign. Hopefully, our stand will make the difference.

Not wanting to hi jack this but its a related thing for anyone who likes music my daughter and her friends went to the OXJAM at the Gala theatre in Durham last night (some of their school friends were performing) events are being held all round the country right throughout October

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_can_do/ox...p?ref=1daughter

Thanks for the pictures Mundia :D

Edited by Marion

There was a big event in Lusaka (the capital of Zambia) but it is too far away for me to have attended. I understand there was live music and dancing as well as speeches.

What has been happening where you are?

I saw white pieces of cloth tied around lamp posts in Edgbaston today, but I was also in Solihull and didnt see any sign of the day being marked, I even looked at peoples wrists in Touchwood shopping centre. My current nursery werent doing anything, they dont 'do' festivals and such because they were advised, and I have no idea who by, that the children dont understand what they are for. They do Christmas though, and Halloween and world cup football... :o:D

Well Mundia you will be thrilled to know that you made itinto our Vicar's sermon this morning when he reported back on the numbers around the world who stood up last week. He said that he wouldn't have done it in church if I hadn't mentioned it, and that I had found out about it on the internet as someone called Mundia had asked on a forum for us to do an online stand up. He them went on to explain how the action of one person asking can be enough to get others involved, and all the sermony things around that.

:o

Well Jackie you have made my day (feeling a bit miserable at the mo). Its fantastic to hear about how the campiagn has spread and I keep popping back to hear news of events that took place around the world, and what was great for me was just how this campiagn brought together poeple from all walks of life, all backgrounds, religions races and cultures.. all with one sole purpose.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)