Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Packed Lunches

We want to discuss Packed lunches at induction and what to put in - no sweets or fizzy drinks.Has anyone prepared a leaflet or letter that I could have a look at.

we have a healthy eating booklet issued by the borough. I think its from the healthy eating Government initiative. will have a look and see where they actually came from and let you know. It takes the pressure off of you actually saying it and it looks better coming from above!!! :o

Guidelines_for_packed_lunches.doc

Perhaps if we all ask nicely?  Pretty please!!  Thank you!

Deb

58327[/snapback]

Dear Deb, sorry this has taken so long to get to you, I failed miserably in my first attemt so lets hope this works.

The information for your leaflet needs to come from unbiased sources such as the food standards agency, there is plenty to get your teeth into (sorry couldn't help myself) on their website as far as general nutrition but very little on pre school packed lunches.

I found a very good five point plan (from a nursery in England) which I included in our leaflet and added an extra two points about portion size and familiar foods, one of the problems we had with our packed lunches was the portion sizes, some of the sandwiches and fruit were too big for the children to hold let alone eat!

Another issue was wholemeal bread, this area is quite vague for pre school children, too much fibre in their diet can inhibit absorption of certain minerals and replace energy rich foods, fibre enriched foods are a definite no, but variety is the spice of life and the occasional slice of wholemeal seems to be acceptable. I notice on the school packed lunches the children should be having wholemeal bread nearly all the time. If you get any more information about this please let me know.

Anyway I have attached the guidelines we handed out to parents.

Zan

Thanks very useful,

I have included the following;

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE AN ICE PACK IN YOUR CHILDS LUNCH BOX ON WARM DAYS, AND/OR AVOID PERISHABLE FOODS AS WE DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT SPACE TO REFRIGERATE LUNCH BOXES.

Peggy

Thanks very useful,

I have included the following;

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE AN ICE PACK IN YOUR CHILDS LUNCH BOX ON WARM DAYS, AND/OR AVOID PERISHABLE FOODS AS WE DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT SPACE TO REFRIGERATE LUNCH BOXES.

Peggy

58526[/snapback]

Don't forget the guidelines we produced are for children under the age of 5, they have different nutritional requirements than older age groups. There is lots of advice for packed lunches available for older children at the food standards agency website.

Zan

Hi Zan

Thank you so much for sharing this, it will be very handy to give to parents, particularly the bit about portion size! One little boy had a huge Granny Smith apple last week, and he ate one mouth full.

Thanks again.

Deb

• 3 years later...

I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that we shouldn't be giving children processed meats like ham and billy bear stuff because the sodium content is was too high. Have I dreamt this? Has anyone else come across it?

I saw that one on the news last week. They were talking about all processed meats because of the chemicals involved (including sodium) being so bad for the children. It included bacon and sausages as well as ham so I don't even think it helps if you buy a bacon joint and cook it at home to make ham for sandwiches.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

The 'ham/processed meats' thing was about, I think, a link with bowel cancer in later life........going to have to go and check that now in case it was a 'dream' :o

I was interested to read the comment about wholemeal bread.........I have always given wholemeal to my grandchildren thinking that I was doing the right thing xD

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)