Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pretend Birthday Cake

Does anybody have any idea where I would be able to find a pretend birthday cake to share in assemblies and such like.

I have looked at the ELC and wooden variations but they are not really what we are looking for.

I remember when I was at school (many moons ago!!) we had this grand realistic looking cake which was HUGE!!

I have searched and searched the web to no avail

Any ideas folks???!!!

Hi

we have made our own, from some old packaging , wrapped in cake ribbon around the edge, then children decorated using coloured tissue paper, kids love it.

Ours is years old, not made by any of the current staff, but well-used. It has been made from a round Roses/Quality Street tin, covered around the edge with shiny paper and birthday ribbon. The top (lid of the tin) has been covered in what looks like plaster of paris with decorations scored and marked into it to look like icing. The candle holders were inserted before it dried. The lid actually still comes off, so we can store the candles and matches inside.

One of my jobs for this holiday is actually to make a new one, as ours is definitely past its sell-by date.

There was a thread going on a little while ago where someone mentioned a birthday cake that they had made. I have done a search but can't find it! I will have another look, but hopefully one of the moderators/saints will be around to point you in the right direction if I still can't find it!

Edited by Clare

Thanks for posts - I happen to be incredibly uncreative. I would not have a clue where to start and would lack a lot of confidence in making one!!

Somebody on ebay would make a fortune for sure!!!

If anyone can discover this thread that Clare refers to it would be much appreciated!

We covered a cake tin with modrock and painted it to look like the cake in Bunny Cakes. Ours has 4 candle holders on it as people are only ever 4 while they are with us. By the way, Bunny cakes (Rosemary Wells) is a great book. We had fun making real cakes and earthworm cakes :o in a tray of compost. It also leads to lots of writing opportunities re shopping lists.

made ours from cardboard from the local scrapstore. covered it in thick white paint and decorated it with sweets .

Much the same used card wrapped around a tin to get the shape then used plaster of paris to ice it. Stuck candle holders in before it set then removed tin. (can add colour to the plaster of paris) really its not too difficult honest!

Try asking your local bakers they are the sort that they have in their windows. dummy cakes I had one for years. need to get a new one now.

We have an upturned Roses tin, or similar, iced and decorated with mounds/rosettes for the candles. Royal icing I think, because that hardens best, and then decorated as you would a proper birthday cake for 4 year olds. Actually we use ours in KS1 also so have lots of candle spaces.

J

Our chairperson came back from holiday, I think from Wales, with a birthday hat complete with candles. It looks great. Will try to remember to ask her where she got it from.

Deb

• 4 years later...

I made mine out of polystyrene and iced it with real ready-to-roll icing and royal icing, and it looked lovely. Now getting on for fifteen years old it needs replacing and I'm not sure I feel like going to all the hassle again. Anyone got any fresh ideas?

In one of the cheaper kitchen utensil shops I found one that stocked ceramic cup cakes for decorative uses - on one of the designs they even had a little gold cup in the top which holds a candle.

So, that's what we use, in photos it looks real!

I have often thought about decorating a special chair too, we have lots of wooden chairs at the hall that we could paint and decorate, ho hum, one day!!

A past committee member made our cake with playdough. She covered a cake tin with dough, added the decorations and baked it in the oven until hard.

It was glazed when it came out of the oven and glued to a cake board. It's looking a bit tired now after 4/5 years so that's another job to do before we go back next week. :o

I think I'm just going to have to re-do it. I found some fake cakes on the internet, but the best seem to be in America of course. I may use polyfilla or something next time, not decided yet. Hey - great opening for a cake decorator who wants a sideline industry here!

My current one looked like this a few years ago, sadly a bit grey and tatty now

post-13453-1283077291_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)