Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

OFSTED question (sorry)

Gezabel

I am sure this is the wrong place but i struggled to find my to where it should be!

I am sure you clever lot might know the answer to this query.

If you have 10 children (all aged 3-4) and have 2 staff working. The manager is Level 4 and the other member is Level 3 I know that is legal in terms of ratios.

However, in this scenario what happens for an OFSTED inspection?  Can hardly have one member of staff off doing learning walk and finding perwork and leave the other one with all 10 children.

I feel there should be an obvious answer but suffering from brain fade! Huge thanks in advance

Personally, I would explain this to the inpsector during the 'call' giving them the option to rearrange to give time for you to sort extra cover?  I asked what paperwork she would want to to see anyway - then I just sorted it our and put it all on a table ready for her and just left her to it!

On 11/09/2023 at 17:36, louby loo said:

Personally, I would explain this to the inpsector during the 'call' giving them the option to rearrange to give time for you to sort extra cover?  I asked what paperwork she would want to to see anyway - then I just sorted it our and put it all on a table ready for her and just left her to it!

Thanks Louby Loo. There won't be a phone call as it is a follow up from an inadequate rating (more children and more staff then). All the paperwork that is expected to be asked for is in a folder all nicely labelled. There are plenty of supply staff so i wonder if they would let them phone to call someone in.

On 11/09/2023 at 18:04, Gezabel said:

Thanks Louby Loo. There won't be a phone call as it is a follow up from an inadequate rating (more children and more staff then). All the paperwork that is expected to be asked for is in a folder all nicely labelled. There are plenty of supply staff so i wonder if they would let them phone to call someone in.

Well as long as you're in ratio they can't really say anything really?  Would they be doing a full inspection or just a short compliance type visit?

On 11/09/2023 at 20:01, louby loo said:

Well as long as you're in ratio they can't really say anything really?  Would they be doing a full inspection or just a short compliance type visit?

They have already been back for compliance and were happy with changes in place. It will be a full inspection but no notice

On 11/09/2023 at 18:04, Gezabel said:

I can't see why not

Inspectors are generally really used to working in these situations, and can often ask questions during quieter moments when you're still with the children but they're more self-occupied. If, during a conversation with the inspector, you feel you are needed by any child, or for any situation, don't hesitate to say 'I'm sorry, I just need to pop over there and....I'll be back as soon as I can'. This shows them that you are alert to what's going on and that your priority is the children, not the inspector! 

• Like 3

On 13/09/2023 at 11:24, Helen said:

Inspectors are generally really used to working in these situations, and can often ask questions during quieter moments when you're still with the children but they're more self-occupied. If, during a conversation with the inspector, you feel you are needed by any child, or for any situation, don't hesitate to say 'I'm sorry, I just need to pop over there and....I'll be back as soon as I can'. This shows them that you are alert to what's going on and that your priority is the children, not the inspector! 

Yes, they work with childminders who are usually single-handed, so I’m sure they understand the need for your focus to be elsewhere 

• Like 1