Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice please-Parents breaking Lockdown and social distancing rules etc.

Greenfinch

Hi lovely people. I hope you are all doing ok. So - I have a situation that I feel I need to address quickly. I have just had it brought to my attention that one of our parents has been blatantly breaking all Lockdown and Social distancing rules by posting about how she spent last weekend drinking at her house with her new boyfriend from another city, and her friend and boyfriend on FB. I feel so angry as we are all being so careful to stay safe through our practise. We are a small setting so one bubble, and are putting ourselves at risk looking after other people's children as it is and this parent obviously has no regard for anyone elses health at all. The child comes one day a week and whilst on the one hand I don't want the child to stop coming, I do feel I can't trust her to keep our nursery safe anymore (presuming it is not already too late) so feel like asking her not to return. Thoughts please? Thank you 

• Sad 1

Hi Greenfinch,

That’s such a difficult situation to be in, I really feel for you. Other members of the FSF who do currently work in settings may have more advice than I can offer. But this feels like one of those times when you can only do what you feel is right in your situation, with your families, staff and children. Take care. 

Those who know me will know that I am always very firm with parents about what is acceptable and I never pander to them. I have one parent who has not followed rules around this pandemic so I have withdrawn her place for the time being. She argued with me but I told her that it is my responsibility to keep the staff and children safe and I have introduced procedures to do so but I am not meeting my obligation if I knowingly allow a person who is flouting guidelines to come into the setting. However much the child benefits from nursery, you have to put the safety of those who are sticking to the rules and the safety of you, your family and your staff team first. If he only comes one a day a week, he isn't going to miss so much - many children have been out of school and nursery on and off since last March. 

• Like 2

Thank you. I feel the same. Sadly, having drafted an email ready to send withdrawing the place, I didn't get chance to send it yesterday as we had to close by the afternoon  due to receiving devastating news that one of our children has tested positive. Quite a traumatic day yesterday to say the least! We are now self isolating.We are a small setting and this is the first case we have had, I cannot imagine how some of our colleagues out here are managing where positive cases are happening regularly. Sending love and respect to everyone.Stay safe x 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Greenfinch said:

Thank you. I feel the same. Sadly, having drafted an email ready to send withdrawing the place, I didn't get chance to send it yesterday as we had to close by the afternoon  due to receiving devastating news that one of our children has tested positive. Quite a traumatic day yesterday to say the least! We are now self isolating.We are a small setting and this is the first case we have had, I cannot imagine how some of our colleagues out here are managing where positive cases are happening regularly. Sending love and respect to everyone.Stay safe x 

Oh crikey Greenfinch - how awful for you, I'm so sorry

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Greenfinch said:

Oh goodness. All my best wishes to you all. Xx

No, a different child.

However, now that I have closed nursery and dealt with following the correct protocol re. contacting all the relevant agencies and sending emails to each child and staff member informing them whether they are a close contact or not etc.plus having time to think about it, and reading your responses, there is no question in my mind that my decision to withdraw this place for now, is the right thing to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenfinch said:

No, a different child.

However, now that I have closed nursery and dealt with following the correct protocol re. contacting all the relevant agencies and sending emails to each child and staff member informing them whether they are a close contact or not etc.plus having time to think about it, and reading your responses, there is no question in my mind that my decision to withdraw this place for now, is the right thing to do.

im so sorry you have had to deal with all of this. Try to rest a little over the weekend. (there but for the grace of god go all of us😔)

• Like 2