Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bubbles

spiceye

Afternoon All, I hope you are all enjoying the sunshine :) 

Unsure if all the bubbling talk, sun or cleaning has freezed my brain but wondered if anyone knew what this actually means?  especially the bit in red:

Keeping group sizes to a maximum of 8 children, while adhering to EYFS ratios, is preferable so groups are as small as possible. Providers are expected to ensure that there are no more than 16 children in a group in early years settings

Does that mean you can have say 12 children and 3 staff in a bubble?  (aged 3+) 

Thank you.x

having read the guidance several times i think this is what is meant.

bubbles of 8 are ideal (you must stick to ratios for children )

you can mix children in that bubble over the week with others who are doing part time, but this total must not exceed 16 over 1 week 

therfore you would have one bubble of up to 8 children per day with their allocated staff member/s in one area. 

You may then create other bubbles who are not allowed in the same space or use the same resources without them being cleaned and made safe.

Staff should not be mixed between bubbles 

I actually read it as ideally you should have no more than 8 if possible - but it can go up to 16 maximum.

We haven't reopened in the end, but my plan was one big group 16 with three staff- rather than 2 groups with 4 staff. We do have a massive hall though.

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

I actually read it as ideally you should have no more than 8 if possible - but it can go up to 16 maximum.

We haven't reopened in the end, but my plan was one big group 16 with three staff- rather than 2 groups with 4 staff. We do have a massive hall though.

Maybe who the heck knows!🤣

Thanks all....I'm.still confused!  I have opened by splitting the room into 2, having 2 groups (one each side) of upto 8 of the same children with 2 staff in each group, however this is proving tricky what with trying to use the same bathroom (can't tell you how many times we clean it!) the garden...space is tight.

I was thinking of opening whole room.back up, 16 different children but maximum of 12 per day with 3 staff but wasn't sure if this is within the confusing guidelines?

One thing I do know is.....is that I'm going through lots of cleaning products!

Thanks again.x

We have 3 groups of children (wish so much it was only two and life would have been SO much easier if it had been) like you we are using just the one set of toilets and oh my goodness, how may times a day we are cleaning them!! Really- i's ridiculous- none of the children ever seem to want to go together, or even two from the same group. It's always one from one group- toilets get cleaned then someone from another group, toilets get cleaned, then someone from the first group and so on- drives us batty. 

That's of no help to you at all, is it! Sorry more agreeing with you really. I'm also thinking this cleaning is going to have to continue in Sept- more so  if we're not working in bubbles, isn't it?

On 30/06/2020 at 16:44, finleysmaid said:

This might sound like a silly suggestion but could you not use one toilet for one group and one for the other? 

That is exactly what we are doing.  We have 2 bubbles and have one toilet and basin for each bubble in the same bathroom area.

Our separate toilet and basin seems to be working at the moment.   We are cleaning in between children with a big clean at the end of the session.  We have an orange bubble and blue bubble.  We have marked the respective toilets and basins with an orange hand print and blue hand print so that everyone knows which area to use and are only allowing one bubble to access the area at a time.  We have only got a third of our children in, so fortunately there isn't too much of a rush for the toilet.  I am hoping all this will help us with planning for the new September intake, depending on what further guidance we get..

• Like 1

Glad I am not the only one having bathroom issues!!!!  The bathroom is so tight (and we had considered labelling 1 toilet/sink for each bubble) we are just going for it?!  We had a couple of 'accidents' but generally working better than it was although my cleaning product bill is getting bigger and bigger.

Someone just told me that from 23rd July you don't need bubbles???!

Is it just the cynic  in me that thinks this is just so holiday clubs can run (nothing to do with the levels of virus) although if you take children over 13 still very difficult. Weve chosen not to run anything over the summer and are.doing maintenance instead!!! Seemed safer😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

Is it just the cynic  in me that thinks this is just so holiday clubs can run (nothing to do with the levels of virus) although if you take children over 13 still very difficult. Weve chosen not to run anything over the summer and are.doing maintenance instead!!! Seemed safer😅

All weird if you ask me.  It mentions scout groups somewhere- well don't they pack up for summer anyway ?......... or does it mean they are going to run mayhem in our hall throughout the summer now 😭 

30 minutes ago, louby loo said:

All weird if you ask me.  It mentions scout groups somewhere- well don't they pack up for summer anyway ?......... or does it mean they are going to run mayhem in our hall throughout the summer now 😭 

It would allow summer camps i guess or jamborees! 🤣

On 03/07/2020 at 07:58, finleysmaid said:

I'm cynical about it too. Quite convenient really...