Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toileting help.

I need some advice please from you people of wisdom! We currently have a little girl who will be three in May.  She started with us in November. She is a bright, happy and sparky little character. Mum had tried potty training before she came to us, without any success so at our first meeting I told her not to worry and to just stop and we would see what happens once she was settled with us and had opportunity to see the other children toileting etc. This did work and she showed an interest in using the toilet and was soon in pants and doing well. However she has developed a real fear now of doing a poo and gets so distressed when she needs one. This has also now increased the amount of wet accidents that she is having.  Yesterday she spent much of the day upset because she either needed the toilet or because she had an accident. This seems to be affecting her so much and she has lost her special little sparkle and it’s so horrible to see and I am concerned that she is now holding onto her poo which is not healthy and will became a hard habit to break.  I am working with her Mum closely as she is concerned and having the same problems at home.  I wondered if the pressure needs to be taken of this little one completely and just to pop her back into pull ups for a few weeks. (To make very clear its not pressure from us or Mum, it’s what she is putting on herself) Still encourage using the potty for wees as usual but it might just get her bowels working normally again and kick start a normal routine.  Any advice would be most welcome.

have you looked at the step by step plan on ERIC.org. a really good way of getting you to where you need to be!! great for parents as there is a forum to ask questions too. Some of our children have followee the plan and got results really quickly. There is a whole section on pooing in pants/nappy etc. ....as i say to the parents it has to be fun/motivating/exciting and rewarding  xD

I am having a meeting with Mum tomorrow, she agrees about putting her back in pull ups for a while as well.  I have printed out a load of info from ERIC and will pass that on to her.  Hopefully we can just get her to relax and get her sparkle back, that to me is the most important thing at the moment.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)