Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Debt collecting

We have a parent who has not paid their bill.We have now stopped her child using our service (after school club) but she still owes us quite a lot of money. I am going to ring Lawcall on monday but wondered of any of you have dealt with this and how you went about it. We don't normally have to chase but i know this one is different!!! 

Grrr - I'm cross on your behalf - when I am back on the laptop I will try and find a letter that I used (not for pre-school but for someone who had bounced a cheque for something else and then proceeded to ignore phone calls) - might be useful...….

I have a family that owe me £50.00 - they are in so much financial trouble that I am not holding my breath on getting this anytime soon

Thanks Sunnny ... we don't normally let them  rack up debts but for one reason or another we allowed it in this case. The bill is now £800 !!! i have already threaten solicitors now need to do the next step....solicitor or debt collector maybe?

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

Thanks Sunnny ... we don't normally let them  rack up debts but for one reason or another we allowed it in this case. The bill is now £800 !!! i have already threaten solicitors now need to do the next step....solicitor or debt collector maybe?

Oh my goodness that's a serious amount of money

1 hour ago, Panders said:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

Have you had a look at this Finleysmaid?       Years ago my employer, (former owner of my pre-school)  was successful in using this service.

That looks great....i can see us being able to use this, though i am still hoping to settle before we get to that point!

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Oh my goodness that's a serious amount of money

amazing how £12 a day adds up !!!  We let it go on for too long i suspect but i know she needed to use our service...now im feeling cross and a little bit stupid!. You live and learnO.o

Obviously not always the case, heaven forbid, BUT some people do know how to play us I'm afraid, and I can understand just how the amount began to gradually increase over time.   Shame in one sense because it will make you a little more cynical next time maybe, and who could blame you for that.

• Sad 1

I'm a childminder, so not quite the same, but I have used the legal services of both Morten Michel (who provide my insurance) and PACEY (the professional body I subscribe to) in the past. They have both provided information, advice and template letters. Morten Michel have pursued a customer on my behalf and I was paid in full before it got as far as court. These legal services are available as part of my subscription / insurance, so worth checking with any professional bodies you subscribe to.

• Like 3

Thanks Tim i spoke to Lawcall today and they have told me how to persue it.....though no offer of doing it for me!!  (we are EYA members)

It was a really interesting phonecall and we have had some good discussions about how to attempt to stop it again. 

For anyone who needs it you need to follow the pre-action protocol on the government website and follow the instructions (use Panders link and find from there!) this gives the debtor 30 dys to respond...then you have to chase and gie another 14 days then you can claim online (fees to be paid for claim and court cost ...though you may get this back and you can charge interest) Well thats a brief outline. We can't do the letters until friday now but i'll feedback how it goes!

• Thanks 1

I have two families that owe me in access of £400 each from when they were fee paying. Both children now funded.  I sent friendly requests, then friendly payment plans, then less friendly - but all ignored accept one payment of £40.00.... Then nothing!!  

I am/was furious and cannot look said parents in the eye now.  Their children are definitely children that need to be here and that is the crux of my problem....too soft and definitely not a business woman - I even have an overdraft to prove it!

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN THOUGH!!!  So fed up with the lack of all round support and respect we get from the GOV and some parents that I now have my YOU SHALL NOT PASS hat on!!

In my mean spirited thinking towards these parents I kinda hope we have to close for weeks due to the virus - I will then continue to be paid their funding without looking after their children - for free!! Pay Back!

wish you luck Finleysmaid with your debt pursuit....I wish I had the energy!! 

4 hours ago, Rafa said:

I have two families that owe me in access of £400 each from when they were fee paying. Both children now funded.  I sent friendly requests, then friendly payment plans, then less friendly - but all ignored accept one payment of £40.00.... Then nothing!!  

I am/was furious and cannot look said parents in the eye now.  Their children are definitely children that need to be here and that is the crux of my problem....too soft and definitely not a business woman - I even have an overdraft to prove it!

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN THOUGH!!!  So fed up with the lack of all round support and respect we get from the GOV and some parents that I now have my YOU SHALL NOT PASS hat on!!

In my mean spirited thinking towards these parents I kinda hope we have to close for weeks due to the virus - I will then continue to be paid their funding without looking after their children - for free!! Pay Back!

wish you luck Finleysmaid with your debt pursuit....I wish I had the energy!! 

Not mean spirited at all Rafa

• Like 1