Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observing staff

Well this is the one I thought was best to start with - it's about communication in the main and  very positive I think, you might develop lots of different ones which focus just on staff abilities in specific areas around the nursery as you begin to get more adept and need more information to feed back and advise 

ECAT Observation of Practitioner Skills.docx

• Thanks 2

On the same topic now many of us our working ITM how/when are you completing peer obs? with no pre-planning I’m finding this more difficult, I’ve created a form for staff to record when they see ‘inspirational’ ITM learning...more so that I can see they are all putting it in to practice as well as celebrating good practice....but it isn’t happening :-( 

I have once that unfortunately I can't find at the moment.  

Not sure if it came from this site or LA training- it's very much a general observation rather than of an activity, and we (ofsted and myself) used it out our last inspection when doing the 'joint observation'

If someone reminds me after 4th September I'll get one from work and upload here.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 16:22, louby loo said:

I have once that unfortunately I can't find at the moment.  

Not sure if it came from this site or LA training- it's very much a general observation rather than of an activity, and we (ofsted and myself) used it out our last inspection when doing the 'joint observation'

If someone reminds me after 4th September I'll get one from work and upload here.

I know it's a long time since 4th September but any chance you can pop it on here now. I need to get supervisions started :)

I've always carried out observations by agreeing a focus before, then going in for the observation and making notes about what I see, such as any questioning going on, the set up of the room, interactions between children and staff etc. 

After, we would then meet and discuss what I saw, trying to link things to the focus I was looking for. 

As the observations would be for NQTs, we would then link what we discussed to the core statements that they were assessed against, but this could be done against any statements required really as it was just evidence supporting the statements. 

Old document, but I still like the templates in the National Strategies booklet Challenging Practice (attached) as they focus on the 'learning, playing and interacting' (pg25 onwards). I also use the interaction items in ITERS and ECERS with schools and settings that have been trained in this approach..

Challening_Practice_to_Further_Improve_Learning_Playing_and_Interacting_in_the_EYFS.pdf

• Like 1

18 hours ago, starsdance said:

I know it's a long time since 4th September but any chance you can pop it on here now. I need to get supervisions started :)

xD You think I'm that organised!  I need to look through some old memory sticks- but I will try and find it this week.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...