Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reduced Staff Rotas

Hi, I'm wondering how others manage staff hours in Autumn when child numbers are low?  We have started a reduced rota for staff temporarily but it is difficult to manage staff expectations around this so I wonder how other settings deal with this issue?

Edited by Fantail

We have a very long list of jobs in Autumn, such as cleaning, sorting, organising, repairing, replacing, re-doing displays and planning for the whole term right up until the C word. Everyone has time out and has to get through the jobs and it sets us up then for the busier terms after the C word. During this time, if people want to buy additional annual leave, they can do up to four days. 

We are incredibly lucky that the two part time staff are very understanding and flexible with their working hours (this is obviously stated in contracts as well).  Their hours have reduced to one morning each this term and by the end of the year they could be up to five mornings each.  Ratio wise I don’t need to have them in at all at the moment but obviously would not dream of doing that so when they are in we use it as admin time and learning journey time for myself and deputy.  I really am so appreciative of their flexibility.

I thought I replied to this earlier, obviously I didn't O.o

Anyway like GFCCCC we do all the little jobs that build up. . We try and find free/cheapish online training which staff do at work. We also let staff have unpaid time off- but his doesn't effect their holiday pay entitlements.  

• Like 1

As Chair: Our setting is using this term to work but focus on training (in house and out sourced). Re-organising the setting and enjoying focusing on the small group they have for now.

As a parent: whose child has lost lots of her friends (who went to school) the staff are really working with her to keep her occupied and form new relationships. Which is really lovely.