Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity leave

Hi

I’ve had a quick look and can’t find anything current on this so apologies if already covered. Is there anyone who dealt with mat leave recently and could talk me through time line and responsibilities please? It’s my first time and I don’t want to mess it up. 

Hi MarshaD, I've been through this recently. The first thing I would do is a risk assessment and get them to sign it, include things like no heavy lifting, not being stood up for long periods of time etc. The employee has to tell you they are pregnant, when their due date is and when they expect to start their mat leave, this should be in writing and has to be given to you by the time it is 15 weeks before the due date. You then have 28 days to reply in writing, stating what their mat pay will be (most likely statutory), and include the dates for when mat leave starts and ends and that if they wish to change their return date, they have to give you 8 weeks notice. The government have all the current details on their website. They are entitled to all ante-natal appointments in paid time off as long as they are recommended by a doctor which means it could include things like relaxation classes but usually it tends to be just doctor/midwife appointments and scans. i'm sure there's more but can't think off the top of my head, feel free to ask anything.

• Thanks 1

They will be given a  MATB1 certificate from their doctor or midwife and have to pass this on to you when they have it.  It confirms the week that their due date falls in and you need it for payroll/mat leave.  Also don't forget that they will accrue holiday during their maternity leave.  I have had a lot of staff on maternity leave in the last 2 - 3 years (and I mean a LOT including three at the same time from the same room :o) and I always ask them to add the year's holiday on to the end of their maternity leave.  

• Thanks 1

Hi Stargrower

We have a member of staff just about to begin her leave (September). All procedures have been followed and she is due back next September (unless she gives us notice etc).

My question is accrued holiday....we are a term time setting. Staff are paid for 5 weeks holiday split across the year and she will be away for a whole year. I know she acrrues her leave so should she be take that at the end of her leave?

I will ask our payroll when I next see her. 

I think it is up to you both to agree how she takes her leave.  I ask everyone to tack it on to the end of their maternity leave as I had someone who returned from maternity leave then spent the next couple of months taking a week here and there.  It was really disruptive as she had only just returned.  

3 hours ago, C1403 said:

My question is accrued holiday....we are a term time setting. Staff are paid for 5 weeks holiday split across the year and she will be away for a whole year. I know she acrrues her leave so should she be take that at the end of her leave?

Hi,

I think most people tack it onto the end of Mat leave but it is up to you both to discuss how to do it. You could ask her to take some before she starts Mat leave and then some after too. I know that next time I have someone on maternity I will be asking if they can do that as this time the person decided that she would take it after but then has handed her notice in and I've had to pay a lump sum to her for all the accrued holidays, which was costly in national insurance and pension contributions for me. 

She's already started so would be on the end.

Our staff are term time so their pay is calculated to include their annual leave.

I better check with ACAS or our bookkeeper just incase. It's no problem if she did want to add it to her leave bit I just want to make sure we are doing things correctly (committee led).

Thanks