Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ongoing suitability of committee members

kaz142

Please help has anyone else had this problem

we are a committee run Preschool,all committee have been EY2 and DBS checked but Ofsted have been in and asked how we check suitability of our committee whilst they are serving on the committee and what proof in writing do we have to show we check all committee members throughout the year they are part of  committee.

I have always checked my team every term and got them to sign to say they are still suitable but never checked the committee!

All of those on DBS certificates need to now be on the update service . Each term we access the system and record the findings to say they are still suitable. We do this for staff and for our trustee's. It's a fairly simple process although we have started to put reminders in the diary about the 'subscription' to the update service as the emails are often missed or don't get sent to the DBS holder and as it's their DBS we don't get informed.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum :-) 

I think the committee registering with the update service will now get forgotten as they can be submitted at the same time,  at least when they ‘had’ to do it before the EY2 you knew it had been. I give staying on CMs the same annual declaration form as the staff.

Edited by Mouseketeer

I hadn't heard of this and assumed that Ofsted were 'initiating' the request for a dbs that they were monitoring suitability by checking the update service. Thinking about it further though, some of our longer serving committee members joined before the update service so I will be following Mouseketeer and asking them to complete the same declaration as the staff.

• Like 1

As a manager who still has a crb (and social services check !) I would say for the longer members of the team then paper checks may be ok but for all of those on dbs it is now a requirement to be on the update service. Apart from myself (as I was struggling to get them to understand I was not new to the role!) I have put everyone on DBS with update as this ensures that I am checking the most to date information with the police rather than relying on them to tell me if they've been naughty!!^_^ The trustees/committee are volunteers and therefore only pay a small fee for the update ...may be worth considering ?

Someone on FB said the other day that it is no longer a requirement for CM's to belong to the update service?? Someone else agreed with them and said it had stopped last October. I must admit I had heard nothing about this. Anyone else?

7 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Someone on FB said the other day that it is no longer a requirement for CM's to belong to the update service?? Someone else agreed with them and said it had stopped last October. I must admit I had heard nothing about this. Anyone else?

I’m sure it isn’t lynned and why I think the update will be missed by CM’s now, (they used to have to complete dbs and update before moving on to the ey2, that isn’t the case now) when committee complete the EYS there is a question asking something along the lines of ‘is the dbs in process’ and if it isn’t via Ofsted/Capita you have to put who it’s being done through, I’m pretty sure I had something via email about it, to it could have been on their update emails, i’ll try and find something.

• 2 weeks later...

It's no longer a requirement for Committee to be on the update service. It's just a recommendation now: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosure-and-barring-service-dbs-checks-for-childcare-providers-who-register-with-ofsted

My understanding is that it's Ofsted who check the suitability of the Registered Person, so I'd be inclined to throw the question right back at them! But I'm non conformist so I wouldn't necessarily take my advice 🤣

We had Ofsted in last week (not even 2.6 year since our last and the third group i out area t be done well under three years!) anyway- all she did was to reel off a list of names and ask if they are still committee. For the first time ever they actually had it correct, normally they ask me about people that had left years before and that they've been notified about. However she didnt ask anything else about them. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)