Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

COSHH data sheets

Here's a question ...

For (donkey's) years we have collected, updated, audited, reviewed our COSHH data sheets to ensure that we have a sheet for pretty much everything a child might ingest by accident. When I recently renewed my first aid quailfication the paramedic who was running the course was utterly amazed that we still did this. She told me that the ambulance service have access to the full COSHH database and so if a child ingested something and we phoned an ambulance they would look it up anyway and wouldn't need the sheet we have (so carefully) prepared. I assume that means that hospitals do the same - so why am I doing this? I've checked the Statutory Framework and it doesn't say it ... is it a health and safety requirement?

I have found this which tells us of the legal requirement to control the substances themselves and ensure the working environment is safe - doesn't say about keeping a log or data sheets. 

Does anyone know? 

Following this with interest. I tend to keep a couple undated for the very few cleaning products we use- Anti-bac, Washing up liquid and Milton.  I seemed to have stopped with all the other random paints, glues etc and was feeling I really should do something about sorting/checking them all.

I was a bit miffed on my registration visit when the inspector was not happy about my bottle of spare hand washing soap being within child reach- I bit my tongue though about the four bottles in the bathroom that the children access freely!  I should add it was up on a shelf right next to the bathroom not in some random place- like in with the children playthings!

10 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

Do you mean to say, Rebecca, on this sunny Bank Holiday that I am spending in the office, there might be a folder that we DON'T need?  Surely it can't be possible! 9_9:D

Don't get your hopes up!!

3 hours ago, Stargrower said:

Do you mean to say, Rebecca, on this sunny Bank Holiday that I am spending in the office, there might be a folder that we DON'T need?  Surely it can't be possible! 9_9:D

I'll see your folders and raise you eleventy billion xD

• Haha 1

i don't worry about the stuff for the children because as you say the hospital has lists of poisons etc but i do keep the stuff for cleaning products for the cleaners as i may not be there and they need to know what you can mix and what needs to be kept separate/or if they need PPE to use

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)