Join Us
What's New
Articles
Resources
About Us
Tapestry
nomski100

Allow staff to baby sit

Do you allow staff to baby sit at weekends for children that attend your nursery?

Also I have a parent that has asked if the child’s key worker can take the child home( child’s home) after nursery finishes as mum is having an operation. I Have checked statutory guidelines and it does say if a child is not picked up you must not take them home but this would be an arranged dropping off. The member of staff is willing to do it but want to see if this is ‘against any rules’.

Hi

I did a quick search and found this discussion but it dates from 2013 so things might have changed a bit, having said that it makes some very valid points and things to think about :)

Sue

Admin Team

I allow both of these, we have a babysitting policy and insist that parents read it before a staff member starts baby sitting and if a parent wishes a staff member to take their child home we get the permission in writing beforehand.

We don't allow either of these things, under any circumstances. We also don't allow any staff to keep their children in any of our settings and if a relative or friend of theirs brings their child to one of our settings, the staff member cannot work in the same room. 

I allowed a member of staff to do this a couple of years ago but I made it clear that any arrangements were privately between the two of them and entirely separate from the preschool.

8 hours ago, GFCCCC said:

We don't allow either of these things, under any circumstances. We also don't allow any staff to keep their children in any of our settings and if a relative or friend of theirs brings their child to one of our settings, the staff member cannot work in the same room. 

interestingly i wonder if you can restrict this activity legally? would it not be restrictive practise in the eyes of the law?

2 hours ago, MarshaD said:

I allowed a member of staff to do this a couple of years ago but I made it clear that any arrangements were privately between the two of them and entirely separate from the preschool.

Yes, I agree. My concerns are always about the insurance - if a member of staff takes a child from nursery and they are wearing nursery uniform and they are going 'because they are the key person' I could see that someone might think that it was part of the nursery service. For me, I'd want the member of staff to change uniform before they left (if necessary) and I would ask for a disclaimer saying that the nursery holds no responsibility. For example, if there was a first aid issue that the member of staff dealt with badly and I had paid for the course I would want to be sure that there was no 'come back' on the nursery. I'm super cautious though :)