Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Retention of records/archiving

Piskie

I’d be interested to know how they are going to police this when a committee run setting closes, who do they think is going to take the responsibility of looking after records in the first place let alone keep paying for the pleasure for umpteen years.....what online records was that gov? 

• Like 1

Like Mousie has asked in a committee based setting who would be responsible for storing these records and paying the fee?

Its a ridiculous situation- we have stuff coming out of our ears as it is-  I can only assume it would be the last named committee?

On our retention of records sheet (which is a psla one from 2011) it states that it is a REQUIREMENT to keep childrens records (including medication, accident, registers ) for a reasonable amount of time e.g 3 years and that it is only a RECOMMENDATION to keep for 21 years (or 24 in case of CP) So it is all very confusing. Our LA ask for registers to be kept for 7 years for auditing purposes - so thats clear cut but I've never been sure about the CP stuff or accident forms. I'm hoping that they will issue  clearer guidelines now. AS I read it a requirement is a MUST and recommendation a SHOULD?  The best of luck to someone trying to find stuff in our shed pertaining to  10 years older or more!! I'm now at the point where I'm shoving it in any spare space in there. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi all

We are currently doing an uphaul of all the documents that we have, we have an overview of the children each year- names, dobs, address, parents contact numbers. so can we shred all of the enrolment forms? we are keeping the accident books and each childs information- internal and external. 

is this ok? before I start the long job of shredding....o.O

This is such a grey area and you can only really make up your own mind based on the information you are holding. At my setting we keep the following:

• Enrolment form (as it has the declarations of legal parents, permissions for medical attn, parents requests for food/allergies etc)
  • Medication forms (which detail any medicine we have given),
  • Accident forms
  • Any records of concerns raised
  • Any record of any complaint
  • Registers

Basically, we get rid of anything pertaining to finances and letters from parents which aren't complaints. Assessment records are passed to school and learning journals are sent to parents.When we decided what we were going to keep/shred we thought through all the possible evidence we might need if someone raised a safeguarding concern and we needed to evidence our own actions or the requests of the parents or the attendance pattern of the child.

I am sure others will be along to remind me of something I've forgotten :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)